Not a Wally World Paddle | SouthernPaddler.com

Not a Wally World Paddle

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Just finished another double bent paddle and corrected all the mistakes I made on the first one. Cool weather has been playing heck with me and the Epoxy as I have no patience with either.....
Westbury and Paddle

IMG_3578.jpg

Paddle from a side view, Double bend and Dog

IMG_3580%20cropped.jpg

Sorry about the naked dog Oyaker, His cape was at the drycleaners today! :lol:

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
Franke Great looking paddle. I've been wondering lately if a double bent would work, as I am a big fan of single bents. What problems did you have with your first?
RH

sheena's dad

Oct 30, 2006
Moscow, Idaho
Franke,

Do you have any pics of the build on that..... If you do, could you post them? I'd really love to see how you did that.....

I've used a double bent before and loved the way it worked. That was about 35 years ago when a friends father had carved (or should I say "whittled") it completely out of pecan.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Thanks

for the kind words. I really like the way the paddles look, not really sure if they really are easier on the wrist as I don't have much problem with my ZRE bent shaft. Always glad to have anyone come down and paddle along. I do get some flutter with the first paddle and will let you know after I get to use the new one this weekend. I had intended on taking pictures of the build but get so involved with finishing the paddle I forget to take some pictures. Will try and remember to take some on the next build....

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
The first one, when I clamped the shaft, the laminations slid and I had to shape the shaft a little smaller than I had intended. It appears a little delicate but after using it for several months I really like it and haven't had any problems. I had also placed the blade between the wrong shaft laminations and this beefed up the power face of the blade instead of where I wanted. Not sure this really mattered but it's not what I intended. The new one I laminated the blade front and back and hope this adds strength to a really thin blade. Just trying new things to see how it works out. I hope to paddle the Etowah River this weekend and will report how the paddle works out.

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
Which section of the Etowah do you plan to be on? I live within 2 miles of the river, but will be w@@king this weekend. Have you ever run through the tunnel? I like your paddle, good work. I just built a double blade paddle out of some cypress, but it doesn't compare to yours.

Mine:
paddlesmall.jpg

Jimmy

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Jimmy:

If the group accepts me then we will paddle the tunnel section. It will be my first time on the Etowah and I have limited experience on whitewater. I was told it is mild class 2 so should be all right but something about running through total darkness excites and scares me at the same time.... I don't have my boat outfitted for airbags yet as I don't intend on doing anything over class 2 but would definitely feel more comfortable if I did. I will leave Gator Dog home for this first adventure although he won't talk to me for quite some time after.

Great looking paddle, hope to get a closer look at it sometime. We're in Canton about once a month and hopefully when we're up that way maybe we can meet, paddle or whatever.....

Jimmy W

May 1, 2006
north georgia, USA
I have only run though the tunnel a couple of times. Running the tunnel seems like an amusement park ride. You might want to take an old paddle for the tunnel as it will likely be scraping along the sides of the tunnel quite a bit. There is a small ledge in there. The ledge isn't difficult, but it is a bit unnerving to be running it in the dark when you can hear it but not see it. Of course, don't try the tunnel if you can't see the light at the other end. I have paddled the waterfall section upstream more times.
Have you ever paddled Ebenezer Creek? That is one trip that I would like to make.
Let me know when you will be up this way sometimes.

sheetsrep

Dec 7, 2007
Hey Buckisland, Great looking paddle. A build thread with photos on any of your paddles sure would be nice..........hint,hint. :D

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
I run the Ebenezer whenever the Ogeechee gets above a few feet. If you ever want to come down, let me know and I'll see what I can do to meet up. Winter and Spring is best as the water there gets quite low also and it gets clogged with weeds.

I will try and remember next time to take pics and do a build along.