Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Hey Beekeeper,
What's the prize for the winning answer. :D

Guys,
Beekeeper is brand new on here and he hijacked his own thread with the aplomb and finesse of a Mack Truck. :shock: This man deserves a big ole ATTA BOY. :mrgreen:
Good work Beekeeper. Keep it up. Were proud of ya. :D
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick
I will give up the location now, because you are correct. I asked my neighbor about the nation and they did not know. I think it is a really old designation. I live in "Sweetgum Nation" (local community), in Livingston Parish (a county that's not a county), known as the "Free State of Livingston" in Louisiana. Do you know where Sweetgum Nation is?

oldsparky
Lots of times I use bad grammar just to see if people are paying attention. :wink: This happens most often when the wife doesn't proofread what I type.

Wannabe
I guess the prize is an ATTA BOY. Someone else can figure who to give it to. I'm tired of messing up. I'll use the ATTA BOY you gave me for hijacking my own thread. I know the hijacking was an accident or a mistake. I'm not smart enough to do that on purpose.

Old Cypress
You get points for your effort. It was a trick question, but not by design. My other post about the short fishing trip misled you. My son and family live in Minden. I am from southeast of Lake Bistineau by about 250 miles. We stay near them as often as we can. The invite for a fishing trip sounds possible. Send me PM(hope I can figure that out).

beekeeper

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OK, Beekeeper, Maybe next time I'm down there pestering Piper San (my personal, self-propelled alarm clock-type guy) and getting underfoot at Keith and Seedtick's ship chandlery, I'll drop over and see your bees.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
seedtick
I think Pat Carroll might be the President of Sweetgum Nation now. If your an original Livingstonnite(spelling? real word?) we may be kin. They use to say "If you were from Livingston Parish you were a Sibley or married to one'. Not sure were the border is,but we are at least neighbors. I knew you would be a good lifeline for the riddle. Hope to meet you sometime.
If you would like to explain "Free State Of Livingston" to the rest of the world you can. I am not knowledgeable enough to do that job. This area had an abundance of sweetgum trees, hence the term Sweetgum Nation.

Kayak Jack
It is a small world. I went to Louisiana College in Pineville for a short time 1967/68. We could have been neighbors and didn't know it. Thank you for replying again. I thought you weren't speaking to me after my smart alec remark and riddle. :D

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Y'all sure are keeping me busy. Befor I could get through typing (two finger hunt & peck) Kayak Jack puts up another reply. This crew is way to smart for me. Post pictures of children chairs and all of a sudden every body knows my name, neighbors name, kin folks, where i live, and a fishing trip has been proposed! :wink: Sure is fun!

Kayak Jack said:
OK, Beekeeper, Maybe next time I'm down there pestering Piper San (my personal, self-propelled alarm clock-type guy) and getting underfoot at Keith and Seedtick's ship chandlery, I'll drop over and see your bees.
I hope to meet a lot of you guys. I'll confess up front, I don't have any bees. The user name is about a different kind of bee keeping. When I retired I bought a Bumble Bee bass boat. I love this boat for what it is. a fishing machine. For six or seven years I probably fished three days a week. One can imagine the cleaning, up keep and maintenance necessary to keep it. After a series of maintenance repairs, cleaning, etc. I said all I do is keep this thing up. Hence beekeeper (keeper upper of the bee boat). Have I disappointed you? No bee hives to look at, but you're welcome.

beekeeper

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Sibley was a lucky guess with my thinking running betwen Sibley, Graham or Stafford. But Ithought the Grahams were a little north and the Staffords were closer to Corbin - no matter

One of my first cousins is married to a Sibley - that's as close kin as I get. All my ancestors were from the southern part of the parish - below 190.

Pat is the person who gave me the name seedtick, back in the 50's - I shined shoes in the shop with him and Louis Hartman.

Can't talk about the free state - not politically correct and most folks would think i was lying anyway

gimme a holler and come by sometime......

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
A couple more "Not Uncle John Pirogue Seats" :
CokeRackpatioFurnature018.jpg

They collapse for easy storage and transporting:
CokeRackpatioFurnature014.jpg

Cedar patio table:
CokeRackpatioFurnature003.jpg

Two liter soft drink bottle rack:
CokeRackpatioFurnature013-1.jpg

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
beekeeper said:
Kayak Jack said:
Nice work, Grammpa. Can you sit down in- and get back up from - those? :|

Not very gracefully.
They're "lift chairs". Somebody has to lift you out. :roll:

beekeeper

Jack, these should work much better.
FishandStJudeCrafts037.jpg

FishandStJudeCrafts036.jpg

For fun (bird houses):
FishandStJudeCrafts039.jpg

FishandStJudeCrafts041.jpg

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
A child's bench:
StJudeCrafts004_zpsabd8c524.jpg

Another garden bench:
StJudeCrafts002_zps74ae6195.jpg

One with storage under the hinged seat:
StJudeCrafts007_zpse248113e.jpg

My favorite, 6' long X 20" wide with concave seat, 5/4" treated pine:
StJudeCrafts019_zpsc96e9a36.jpg

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I have been building bird houses to use up some scrap lumber.
Started a new apprentice(future boat builder?). He learned a few old wood working skills and built (with a little help) a house.
JustinsBirdhouse001_zps9a74d040.jpg

JustinsBirdhouse003_zpseec2f6c0.jpg

beekeeper