Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat | Page 3 | SouthernPaddler.com

Not an Uncle John Pirogue Seat

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
A bird house for Australia!

:? I thought that picture looked upside down! :lol:

Actually it is built like it was designed to be, but I never noticed that it is simply an upside down house, until I posted this picture. My grandson chose it for his first and I liked it because it was different. I bet the birds never notice.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Weather has not been the best for woodworking, but we were able to complete my grandson's first 4-H project. He chose this cedar squirrel feeder:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Carved this cypress spoon recently:

Also built a kid's picnic table, and a park bench. Not boat related, but woodworking I could do inside the shop when the weather was too bad to work outside:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I need (want) to build another boat, but don't seem to catch up on my other need (want) to do builds.

Japanese Tea Table:

URL=http://s600.photobucket.com/user/jdsibley/media/IMG_3156_zps624f5221.jpg.html]
IMG_3156_zps624f5221.jpg
[/URL]

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Chuck, the sloping roof does give it a wood duck box look, but it is too small. 4" PVC pipe. Not real pretty, but very durable.

Jack, no seats recently, but this table may work camping:

These would be out of place camping, but may would work "RVing":

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Made these for one of my heroes. He and his bride will be celebrating being married 70 years. Lots of friends coming over, so I thought they could use the seating.

Also making this bench from some left over material.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Aye god, JD - you do actually have some socially redeeming characteristics!

Jack, you shouldn't be saying things like that. :wink: People will start expecting more of me. :lol:

I realized building tables (or anything) is like boat building. You set goals and then compromise along the way.
My priorities are, function (works well for its purpose), fit (durable), form (pleasing to the eye), and finish (trumps "form" if it relates to durability) in that order. Other folks may see them different. Probably why I have little luck selling anything. Products you buy today look good but don't seem to last very long, or work well.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The bench needs a finish. I'm looking for a glossy finish that will work on presser treated wood (Yellow Wood). I know marine varnish will work, but the wood absorbs several coats just to get it sealed and I did not want to do that much work. I thought about sealing with a coat of epoxy, but my research says it won't work.

Has anyone actually themselves used epoxy on treated wood? What happened?

beekeeper