Oak veneer paneling | SouthernPaddler.com

Oak veneer paneling

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Has anyone tried the Oak veneer 5.2 mm paneling they carry at Lowes or Home Depot? I guess it would be slightly heavier but it looks as though it would make a great looking boat. I'm getting the itch to try my hand but don't really care for the looks of the butt splice in the middle of the boat. :cry: :roll:

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Buckisland
There is an easy way to conceal your butt splice on your boat,you want be able to detect it at all.

Paint it

:lol: :lol:
I am sorry just had a devilish moment
Ron
Just kidding

lil'moe

Jan 8, 2009
Lapland, IA
I have used the "imported hardwood-5.2mm" from Lowes. It is a mahogany looking surface with a blonde back side. The back was more attractive (to me) then the front. One key to watch-is it suitable for vinyl underlayment. If it is, it probably doesn't have a lot of voids. In my sheets, I foung two - neither one as large as a dime. I looked at the oak but it felt awfully heavy-not as much as baltic birch, but heavier than I was looking for. Take a good strong flashlight for an "X-Ray" and see what looks best. Hope it helps.
Ron

gbinga

Nov 7, 2008
Hoschton, GA
Seems like all the 1/4" oak I've seen at Lowe's and Depot are advertised as interior plywood. If there is a manufacturer's label you could get on the 'net and maybe get better info than you see in the store. Also, it seems like the oak I've seen at the "big box stores" has had very thin face veneers, which get messed up pretty easily when sanding - if you use it, look out for that.

Butt splices - what sort of boat are you building? On my Uncle John's Pirogue, the center frame landed right on the splice (I planned it that way, which is easy to do), so the splice doesn't show on the inside. As to the outside, I painted it. Figured it would tend to get beat up anyhow, so I went for simple and durable. So in my case, the splice is completely hidden. On other boats, it might be a different situation.

George

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Thanks for the input. Haven't decided on the model yet but it will be a canoe. Just noticed the ply at the store this week and it looked nice, will check further before starting a project.