ocklawaha in march. | SouthernPaddler.com

ocklawaha in march.

whitecaps

Jul 10, 2007
ft. myers fl.
Drove up to the Canoe Outpost on Monday morning. Met miss Val and Joe. I like this place, very laid back and friendly. This would be where I would stay if I wanted to spend the night before my trip started.
Nice tent sites close to the river. Also sites for trailers and motor homes or you can rent a cabin. This would be better than a motel in Ocala.
Put in was at moss bluff. This part of the river is more canal like for several miles. Lots of lily pads on both sides. Next time will spend at least a full day on this section just to fish it. Very little current from dam to 2nd bridge.

Stopped the 1st night on east side a little ways past a rock boat ramp that is on the west side. This spot has been used before by someone who liked to dig holes, maybe they were looking for artifacts. They forgot there shovel when they left. It is still sticking in the ground by the river. This spot is all cypress trees about 7 miles from moss bluff.
Walked back to east just looking around and came to an old road bed or dike. May have been old r.r. for hauling cypress. Would like to know just for curiosity. Listened for turkeys roosting did not hear any, plenty of hooters though. Temps went down into the thirty’s this night. Sleeping bag not warm enough, will correct that oversight.

At the 314 bridge river changes with more current and some blow downs or log jams or what ever you want to call them. All of these fish holders are very easy to get through, thanks to LAZY river guy. Anyone that cuts a path in a Log Jam ain’t lazy.

Had to really work at keeping boat moving slow enough to look at scenery and the river creatures. Where the silver river meets the ocklawaha is very easy to spot due to the clear water entering. To me this is a must see river.

Going up stream is the best way to look at things since you stop without drifting by.
Never seen so many kayaks in one place in my life as here. At least they were in groups and were all gone in a very short time.
Wildlife here seems almost tame, I guess if they run every time someone comes by they would be wore out. After a while was by myself again and looking.
Came around a sharp bend and saw the 1st troop of swamp apes. If you paddle to shore and stay quite these monkeys will come to you. may be used to being fed.
Went on up to the main spring and paddled over it just to say I did. Would have been neat to see this before it became commercialized. Maybe Chuck or Jack rembers. :p

On the way down seen two more groups of monkeys, also met a fellow in a kayak that studies them. He would throw peanuts to them but they would not come close. Said that was strange. Got looking around and there was a gator by his boat. Monkeys are not stupid.
Went back to the ocklawaha and spent the night just past hwy. 40 bridge. Would have rather gone further from the bridge but not knowing what was next decided to stop here than risk looking in the dark for a place.

Spent the next day just drifting and stopping at any place that looked like a landing to check for camp spots in the future. Many places for a solo and quite a few for groups. Went by gores landing which seems like a camp ground and park not sure. Not very far past gores is real nice place so instead of going back to my truck and ending trip set up camp. This is a super place to camp. There had been a fire not to long ago close to the river. Made walking and looking for tracks very easy. Oak, cypress and cabbage trees here. Hooters and fire flies for the nites entertainment.

Became frustrated next morning trying to get a picture of the creatures that sound like a chain saw starting up and dying in a 50 gal. drum. Never could sneak up and stay still long enough with out spooking them.

Speaking of gators everyone has seen them going off of a log. How many have seen them climbing onto one? This trip like all the rest was a success and a lot of fun.
I think the best time to take a trip like this is when you can. If you try to plan when its not going to be cold, hot, raining, buggy, or anything else you don’t like you will miss an adventure.
Thanks go to Miss Val and lazy river guy (should be busy beaver) and to the people of southernpaddler.

toby

( Toby... I hope ya don't mind , I broke the block letter up into easier reading sections...If I trespassed on it let me know and I will put it back like you had it..... Chuck)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It was a few years before my time on enjoying the springs. The locals beat me to it............

" Throughout history, Silver Springs has been a timeless oasis and a place of unparalleled beauty, offering respite to early settlers who drew sustenance from its 99.8 percent pure artesian spring waters.

In the early 1500s, Timucuan Indians settled in the area around Silver Springs which they referred to as Ocali, a sub province of Timucua. In 1539, the area was invaded by Spaniards, led by Hernando de Soto, looking to exploit wealth. After many battles, the Ocali Indians were able to retain their claimed territory.

In time, the Timucuans were succeeded by other Indian tribes including the Seminole Indians. When the U.S. Government attempted to move the Seminoles from Florida to reservations in the western U.S. in 1835, Chief Osceola and the Seminoles retreated to the southern swamps. His slashing of the treaty the U.S. Government representatives presented to him is the famous gesture that gained him the respect of the Seminole Indians, and many joined Osceola’s forces in future battles. Today, all of the Glass Bottom Boats are named in honor of those Indian leaders who fought in Florida. "

I'm glad you had a good trip on the Silver and Ocklawaha , I always enjoy paddling and camping there , the best time is anything but a weekend.
Gores landing is a county park and quite a nice place to camp , I enjoy driving up there to spend a night in the woods when I have to get away from here. Also a good place to use as a base camp for a day or two paddling. I do enjoy it more when Joe drops me off at the silver and can go down river to his outpost , usually taking 4 or 5 nights to do a one night run. Great river to spend time on.

Chuck.
PS. The 1st site on the left past Gores Landing is one of the spots I/ we like to stay.

whitecaps

Jul 10, 2007
ft. myers fl.
No I don’t mind. Never thought about reading this. Also thanks for history of the silver river spring. Very new to this writing on forums. toby

Lazyriverguy

Nov 9, 2006
Eureka,Florida
Sir Toby
Thanks for comin in and enjoyin our little slice of Heaven. I do try to make the trips as enjoyable as possible for folks that come out and paddle it. I have to say that the clean up of some of the downed trees at times seems like a chore but most times it is just a great way of getting Val to put me on the river for a day or 2. Thanks again for the Visit and it was a pleasure to meet you.
Joe(lazyriverguy/beaverboy) HaHA

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I love paddling the Silver river, weekdays are best, weekends bring out the motorboats. And they dont idle much faster than you can paddle, so you can end up breathing boat exhaust for alot of the trip.

Unfortunately yes, those monkeys are used to being fed. Unfortunately those monkeys associate boats/humans with food. Unfortunately those monkeys have been know to jump onto boats looking for food from the people in the boats who have gotten to close. Unfortunately those monkeys have been know to sometimes bite (quite nastily) the hand that feeds them. Unfortunately those monkeys have been know to sometimes bite the hands that dont feed them, probably because the have no food. Unfortunately those monkeys have been known to get aggressive towards boats that get to close.

Those monkeys are wild animals. They survive just fine with out humans "helping" them out. If you paddle the Silver, please treat them as such and observe them from a safe distance.

Anybody that is there claiming to "study" those monkeys by throwing them peanuts, is not studying them. That person is no better than those who feed the alligators marshmallows because they think it neat, or the person who feeds squirrels at camp grounds and picnic areas.:evil:

DM
mike