Ocklawaha Jan 07............ | SouthernPaddler.com

Ocklawaha Jan 07............

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
We made the river run and actually got back from it, which surprised all of us. There were good times had by all, plenty of fun with some different type of weather.

Here it is the middle of January and for two days on the water it felt like June and not January, warm, almost to the hot stage and without any rain. Then a cold front came thru, the wind blowing worse then an old man telling fishing tales. The trees were whipping around, leaves blowing all sort of directions and just plain windy.

We meet at the Ocklawaha Outpost on Sunday and prepared for the river run when the wind started, but it was just Joe (lazyriverguy) who owns the Outpost and after his lovely wife Val. dragged him from the camp, kicking and screaming, :lol: things calmed down .... A bit but not a lot since all of picked up from where he left off.

Basically I think it was Brads (swamprat) fault but we will not mention any names of the guilty party. Brad had been enjoying life at Juniper Springs and decided to join us for a night of camping and then a day trip with us on the River Monday. Needless to say all of us were having a grand time and we had not even gotten a boat wet.

"O" .... I need to tell you something. I had the Freedom on the top of the jeep and when I stopped in Salt Springs for a sandwich and came out to the jeep there were a couple of guy's (kayakers) looking at the Freedom and wanting to know where I found it because they liked the looks of it and wanted one for there fun. I told them the story about the boat and that to this date the plans for it are not available to the general public (yet) but who to contact or harass to get them. Sorry Matt, the devil made me do that, along with Joe when he paddled it at the put in the next day.

Joe was telling me he thought the boat was something from Photo shop and not real since he could not locate any information about it on the web, I told him it has to be for real because he just paddled it and who to send a e-mail to. Sorry Matt ... the devil made me do that also.

It fit in the boat really good........ with some room to spare , a good boat for tripping if you can find the plans for it.
trip%20017.jpg

After the good times while camping at the Outpost we got the gear loaded up and off to the river with Joe as out chauffeur and shuttle person.
We arrived at the put in and managed to get the gear off loaded and packed in the boats and hit the river.

trip%20003.jpg

This is some beautiful paddling, clear water, wildlife, birds, a good current and just a paddlers dream. Brad (swamprat) paddled with us till we pulled over for a snack and at this time Brad decided it was time for him to go back up river since he had to be at something called work the next day.

Brad (swamprat)
trip%20008.jpg

On down river for the rest of us to the 1st campsite for Monday night. We pulled in and set up camp.
Joe and myself in hammocks
trip%20028.jpg

The guys motels
trip%20009.jpg

Al.... Paddling an grinning
trip%20036.jpg

Camp is set up, the firewood is collected and we are thinking about supper so I sprang a little surprise on the guy's ......... Supper is baked beans with 4 1/2 pounds of extra large shrimp sauteed in a skillet with garlic and assorted herbs. No one refused supper and believe it or not, it all disappeared that evening, no left overs.

Our noisy neighbors , A relaxing night with the owls hooting, some coyotes singing on the other side of the river, cool temps and just darn good times. Up in the morning and off down river
trip%20039.jpg

[/img]

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Harry an Ray.......
trip%20022.jpg

Ooter or Harry Jr.
trip%20024.jpg

Looking at the bird life, the fish under the boats, the owls still sounding off and with all of us enjoying life. Now this was a hard days paddling since it took us almost two hours (including a snack break on the bank) to get to the next camping site. Did I say we really work our rear ends off and it is a rush , hurry up , get moving or get left behind type of camping when paddling?

Joe
trip%20026.jpg

Pulled in and got camp set up, fire wood collected and everything set for the night. Supper was something different and sort of like Christmas when you open all of those presents...... No idea of what you are getting but always a surprise. In our case it was called MRE'S. Yep, we were eating high off the government hog. Fortunately all of us had a cocktail hour (or two) before supper that night.
I had some Lipton Butter and garlic noodles mix and tuna added to it (Not a MRE) after the horse-de-overs we had with the cocktail hour or hours but who watches the clock when they are out camping an paddling.

The camp table.......
trip%20038.jpg

This is the night the front moved thru and it was blowing, you could hear the wind rolling over the tree tops and then a blast would come along lower and rock the hammock, all quiet for a sec and then it all started up again. This went on all night long and gradually cooled down to where a down sleeping bag felt really good.

Bear......
trip%20027.jpg

Morning arrived and after some hot coffee and a bite to eat we decide to break camp and go down to Gores Landing. When we would arrive there the set up camp, get with the ranger and order in a pizza from town, get a fire going and enjoy life.

trip%20016.jpg

Well, we managed to get everything but the pizza, no ranger and no phones so it was a pot luck supper, what ever you wanted and had with you. Believe me when I say we were not hurting for food at anytime or a good assortment of it.

Another nice evening, cool, a blowing wind and the owls just hooting away while we enjoyed a roaring campfire along with hot coffee, tea and later a spirited drink or two before hitting the sleeping bags.

The morning arrived and after relaxing around the camp enjoying a breakfast, some hot coffee or tea we were back on the water and going down river.

We were going to spend one more night on the river but Ray needed to get home for his wife's birthday and we were about an exhausting paddling distance of 4 hours from the Outpost so we decide it was make it or bust paddle this time.
We did have to actually slow down for us, if that is a possibility, because of the racket in the woods on river right. There was a band of monkeys in there just raising or creating a racket, jumping from palm tree to palm tree, scampering on the ground and doing what monkeys ever do. It was something to see. After drifting with the current and dipping a paddle now and then (along with several shore breaks for snacks and to work the kinks out of our lower extremities) we made it to the outpost.

Did I say we really work at this but try to relax when paddling an camping?

Arriving at the ramp and pulling the boats out, loading up the gear and saying good by to everyone as they left and were going home , Joe Fennell ( The Mad River Canoe Paddler ) and I secured one of the cabins from Joe (lazyriverguy) and spent the night there relaxing, drinking a cold brew and eating one large but darn good pizza that is home made locally by a father & son team. Might say we sort of pigged out that night but was it , ever , so easy to do.

Inside the cabin
trip%20040.jpg

The Loft.
trip%20045.jpg

Up in the morning and off to the Golden Skillet which is owned and operated by Larry who is also the chief . A breakfast of several cups of coffee with eggs, (Joe had the hashbrowns) ( I had the grits) a home made biscuit (the best one I have ever had) and a sausage patty about 5 inches long 3 inches wide and 3/8's of an inch thick all for $ 5.00 per person. You will not leave the Golden Skillet either hungry or broke, just really satisfied and happy.

One more really good trip with good friends and some water under the bottom of our canoes going down river. I hope there and know there will be plenty more.

If you are looking for a good river to paddle and an outfitter who is more then willing to work with you check out Joe (Lazyriverguy) at his web site ...... http://outpostresort.com

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez Chuck! I'm jealous as hell. :cry: What a beautiful river and trip. Glad y'all had such a great time. I wish I was retarded.....OOPS :oops: ......I mean retired like you. I could have made this trip.

Great pix and report Buddy!

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldyaker said:
What a beautiful river and trip.
Friend oldyaker,

I sho am sorry ya aint ever paddled these rivers with the paddlin' geezers. On my drive down thru Hot Lanta 'n on my way back thru Mobile, I seen a heap a rivers that looked jest az purty az the Ocklawaha. The key iz how far they are frum the combustion engine.

The sunshine state kinda dropped the ball on national scenic rivers, but ya gotta wipe that tear away 'n look past the river trash 'n noise. Back in the Seminole days, it musta been swell.

regards
bearrridge

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. Martin Luther King, Jr.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
Jeez Chuck! I'm jealous as hell. :cry: What a beautiful river and trip. Glad y'all had such a great time. I wish I was retarded.....OOPS :oops: ......I mean retired like you. I could have made this trip.

Well when you get retarded like the rest of us then you will have to make this run , it is a lot of fun.

NOW.. When Ole Harrymick gets over here in the states then we will have to set up a trip (someplace ) for him so he can meet everyone and we can try to figure out what he is saying after we force a few drinks of some spirited beverage down him. Or would it be the other way , he would be trying to figure out what we are saying. I am sure he has never listened to an Italian with a southern dialect or a southerner with a Yankee twang , much less someone from Mississippi who no one can understand.

I just had a thought..... Do the Ocklawaha and have Joe (lazyriverguy) take a day or two off and go with us ..... Mick would be in a perpetual state of confusion while trying to figure things out. Heck .. he might end up by being more nuttier then he is or we are. :lol:

If that is to far south then we could do the Edisto River there in South Carolina which would be about the mid way point for everyone..... Stay at the campground and then hit the river for a few days , paddling an camping. We might even get the swamp ape (swampy) to go on that one , boy would that destroy the brain cells Mick has. Especially if Mac and Bear came along and we could get Matt to join us ...Might get Joe ( the Mad river canoe paddler) ...Someone would have to take Jack by the hand and lead him down there or just throw out some pop corn for him to follow.
I am sure Harry & Ray would want to go , Van and Harry Jr also then we could pick some more up from this web site for the trip , like swamprat and the others who are still working from 9 to 4 with a two hour lunch break.:lol:

South Carolina would never let us back in there state again.

I smell a trip coming up in the future and something to work out when or if it starts to come about.

Chuck.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Chuck , I want to be a part of that trip... not only to meet all of you but to be a part of this whole thing.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you are referring to the Edisto River in South Carolina .... I would say sometime in the Spring around March or April.

It should still be coolish but not cold , less bugs then in the summer time , plus the new leaves would be coming out so everything would be a nice spring green.

I am guessing at the weather , Matt or Swampy would know more about that then I do since they live up there.

Chuck.

Bullhead

Mar 27, 2005
Indiana
Guys , I am retired now so I hope to go on one of these trips soon, it looks like you are having too much fun and I know I can remedy that.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Mick,

Winter must be okay too. http://members.aol.com/Mmcbs3/edisto.html

I tried ta look up some of the names of the Florida rivers I drove over on the way home, but danged if the spammers didnt run the Florida Rivers site in the dirt. http://floridarivers.org/ :cry:

A river mite look fine frum Ole Ike's highroads, but it aint no tellin' what mite be along the banks....mebbe folks, mebbe roads........mebbe combustion engines? One river that grabbed my eyeball wuz on Highway 98 tween Mobile 'n Lucedale. It had a outfitter, so that means shuttle. It looked kinda like the St. Mary, cept wider with bigger sandbars.

regards
bearridge

Fear of death will not prevent dying - but it may prevent living. Anonymous

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gary (who had ta stay behind on the Ocklawaha trip),

Nobody heard nuthin' frum ya. Are ya okay? We all hope so.

regards
bearridge

The avoidance of taxes is the only intellectual pursuit that carries any reward. John Maynard Keynes

Otter

Apr 9, 2005
Palm Bay FL
To my good frend Bear
Its a shame that I was not feeling up to the trip after the first night at basecamp. Although I hated to leave you guys, it was a decision I did not regret. Doctors could not locate the exact source of my discomfort, but it took 3 or 4 days before it went away. Its better to be at home close to your vet when your not feeling your best, than being in pain on the river a long ways from the vet.
As you said, the river is mot going anywhere, and niether are you guys. I am looking forward for the next trip when I can make up for the last one.

Just remember: You can't really enjoy yourselves, unless you have friends to enjoy it with.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Gary,

Good ta hear yer okay. I look forward ta the next expedishun. It looks like the geezers will all be wearin' steel, not tin foil. Harry, Ray 'n Hooter all had army mess kits. Chuck haz one now.

I wonder if Swampy haz one? It mite keep the aliens off him. 8)

regards
bearridge

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Friend Gary,

Good ta hear yer okay. I look forward ta the next expedishun. It looks like the geezers will all be wearin' steel, not tin foil. Harry, Ray 'n Hooter all had army mess kits. Chuck haz one now.

regards
bearridge

As time goes by people tend to revert to what they have used in the past and know that it works.
All of us have the mess kits but just for bear we are going to get him one of the mess trays with the six divisions on it , this way he will never run out of Food , especially his MRE's and have someplace or something to put them on. Then if he wants to reheat them he can just place the tray over the campfire.
I want to see what happens when he puts that tray on his lap and he is in shorts. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the serious side Otter ..... Do you think there is something about the river where it just does not want you to paddle it , two trips and you still have to get a paddle wet.

Chuck

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Harry, Ray 'n Hooter all had army mess kits. Chuck haz one now.
regards
bearridge

I done and gone give Swampy my GI Mess kit last year. It brought up too many memories of Army chow in ma head. Wasn't deep enough to make up a good mess of shrimp 'N grits anyhow. Swampy wears it as a hat now for alien brain wave deflection....of course he has it lined with allyluminum foil
spacecraft.gif