Ocklawaha Nov 5 ,06 , something different. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ocklawaha Nov 5 ,06 , something different.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, we are back form a different kind of camping trip but I will get into that in a minute or two.

First.......

We meet at the Ocklawaha Canoe Outpost & Resort. It is under the owner ship, care and control of Joe and Valerie (Val.) Tompkins. Val. does all the work and keeps Joe on his toes when that is posable. (Sorry Joe, Val. gave me $5.00 to say that) :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have upgraded the Outpost into something a lot nicer then it was the last time I was there.
They have six, very nice, cabins, a RV lot for 11 RV's, five primitive camping areas for tents and a very clean bath house. They have added a bait shop, Outpost store and the main office. The play ground for the kids has swings, Teeter Toter, Horse shoe and a tree swing.
They offer a day trip from Gores Landing back to the Outpost which is 8 miles on the river or the one we took from SR 40 at the Silver River back to the Outpost which is 18 miles and an overnighter or a couple of nights if you want.

Here is there web site http://www.outpostresort.com/ Give them a shout if you want to have a good time in the outdoors. Phone 1-866-236-4606.
As I was traveling north on 19 thru the Ocalal National Forest and just before getting to Salt Springs here comes this black bear out of the woods on my left, he stopped, looked around, I stopped, he looked around and seamed to say Thank You, then proceeded to cross the highway. This is going to be one nice trip, seeing wildlife and I am not there.

Arrived at the Outpost and Al had already arrived and was at campsite T-1. After checking in with Joe and Val. I went up to the campsite, meet Al and set up my camp. A little later in rolls Mac with his big red barge (Mohawk Canoe) and we get his camp set up.

No sooner then getting that done in came Harry, Harry Jr. , Ray, Van and Gary. We got there camp set up and a good oak fire going so we would have some coals to do the potatoes and steaks over.
Just sitting around enjoying the area waiting for the wood to burn down, having a drink, shooting the bull and looking for a nice big bright moon to come up. When the fire was just right we put the potatoes in the coals and sat back for 45 minutes till we could throw the steaks on the grill.

The time rolled around and we had those steaks sizzling over the fire and don't you know it ..... the wind was blowing up to the cabins and who had several of the cabins rented for the night ........ A Greenpiece group and they were eating veggies. Fortunately that is what keeps the world turning, no one like the same things and those Heathen, Barbarian, Red Neck's in the tenting area are burning some dead cow for there supper and drinking fermented beverages (we did have clothing on) :lol: .
While having supper Harry Sr. Choked on a piece of meat and it became lodged in his throat ... he tried to work it down but couldn't, we figured he would be OK in the morning so all of us hit the sack and listened to the Owls sounding off all around us. .
In the morning Harry was still having troubles and decided to aim for home and see a Doctor about this problem, he thought it might of done some damage to the Esophagus. He and the guys with him loaded up and took Harry home and to make sure he was and will be OK.

This left Al, Mac and myself so we decided to go on and make the run. Joe arrived with the shuttle bus and we took out........It ain't over with yet folks ...I have to tell you the tail of the green tent with the washing machine in it.

Joe got us to SR 40 and the Wayside Park for our starting place. We put the boats in, loaded up and waved a good by to Joe (He said Val had work for him so he could not go) :roll:

Paddled a short distance out of the marina and into the Silver River took a left and went on out to the Ocklawaha River.

ocklaw%20001.jpg

Dapper Al
ocklaw%20002.jpg

Mac
ocklaw%20003.jpg

Paddling (Actually drifting with the current) we were looking at all of the bird life above and around us and tons of fish under the boats.

A Cormorant asking " Where are you going"
ocklaw%20004.jpg

There is something very pleasing and relaxing when you are enjoying all of the scenery, wildlife and some water where you can look down and see the bottom which is a fer piece under you.
ocklaw%20005.jpg

A local Sun Bather in her birthday suit....
ocklaw%20006.jpg

We left the landing at 9:30 AM. and drifting along we located a nice campsite at 1:30 PM. Since we were not in a hurry we pulled in and set up camp.
ocklaw%20010.jpg

I tried my cell phone to check on Harry but on the river, in that swamp there is no coverage. (The river view from camp)
ocklaw%20011.jpg

We sat around, enjoyed a nice supper, sun set and some moonlight then after a while went to bed. About 11:30 some wild hogs were snorting and coming near my tent so I clapped my hands three times, they let out some close sounding snorts and took out for some other pert of that area, which made me happy. Mac had his 80 quart cooler but it was full of ice, one block of cheddar cheese and 12 cokes, no room in there for some fresh ham and bacon. Besides I don't think a canoe paddle would have done much damage to one of those hogs.
When or if you would wake up the Owl's were talking to each other all night long, some good bedtime song's.

Up in the morning, a leisurely breakfast of Kayak Jack Power bars, tea for me and Al while Mac had coffee. Some goofing off, breaking camp and on the water by 9:15. (if you look you can see the bottom of the river and it is about 5 feet deep right there between myself and the guy's)
ocklaw%20013.jpg

ocklaw%20015.jpg

About 2 hours (drifting time) from our camp there is a really nice camp with a small stream coming in on the right side for you to pull the boats up in. We know this because we stopped there, walked around, had some lunch and then back in the boats and on down river to Gores Landing.

ocklaw%20009.jpg

We are paddling along and it got real cloudy, then it started sprinkling so I put on my rain suite pants and sure enough it stopped. We continued on and around 1:15 PM. Arrived at Gores Landing. Pulled the boats out and set up camp.
Always put up your tent 1st , then do the rest........ 2:00 it came up a good rain so into the tents for a nap, or whatever. 5:00 it is still raining..... 9:00 PM it is still raining......... 11:00 PM. it is still raining ... it rained all night long and into the early hours of the morning. It finally quit around 7:00 AM. The rain did not make the Owl's quiet down one bit ... all around us and all night long, something I love, Owl's sounding off and rain drops on my tent.

This is where the green tent had the washing machine in it........ Mac had articles of clothing stuck in all four corners of his tent to soak up the water dripping in. You would hear the screen being unzipped, out would come two arms with some form of clothing, wring out the water and go back into the tent....zip the screen would be closed. Pretty soon ....Zip, the two arms and something else in the clothing line, wring out the water and then back inside the tent and zip would go the screen.

We had a short (might of been 15 minutes) break where we could get out side of the tents and that is when we decide in the morning we would get back to the outpost and the vehicles. One gentlemen who was there in a Motor home offered up a ride in the morning if we would want it.

Morning arrived and while having breakfast Mac decided to pack his tent the easy way (He has been threading to do this on the last two trips) He took his tent down and marched it over to the trash can and filed it in there for safe keeping. All of it, the tent, rain fly and washing machine.

A wet mornign at Gores landing
ocklaw%20019.jpg

Al had the vehicle (Chevrolet Trailblazer) that would hold the three of us so he got a ride with the gentlemen back to the outpost for his vehicle, came back picked up Mac and Myself and took us back for our vehicles, then back to Gores Landing to load everything up.

All I can say is that to Ocklawaha River is one nice paddling river, just easing along with the river flow and enjoy life, it was a good trip even with everything going wrong, it was a lot of fun and I wish I was there right now.

Chuck.
PS.. I called Harry... He was Hospitalized and it was a piece of the steak stuck about half way down and they managed to move it with medication but the Doc still ran a probe down there to make sure. He is doing fine at this time and wants to go camping. :D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister High Sheriff,

Glad Harry the Elder iz okay. Tell Mac "Eureka Timberline". Good pichurs. Hard ta believe it rained. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst. Aristotle

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
campsite

Another excellent trip report, Chuck, and the pictures are great. Brings back memories since I have camped at that same site on several occasions, as recently as last year with Joe Fennel and company. And IT"S ABOUT TIME MAC DISPOSED OF THAT LEAKY TENT. Not sure whether it was used by the North, or the South during the war? Watch out for moths when he opens his wallet to buy a new one.

John

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
Mister High Sheriff,

Glad Harry the Elder iz okay. Tell Mac "Eureka Timberline". Good pichurs. Hard ta believe it rained. :roll: :mrgreen: :roll:

regards
bearridge

It NEVERS rains whenI go camping ... it is all Mac's and Al's fault. :roll:

Swamprat .... I agree the upper area is a lot nicer :D , the wildlife is not as skittish as the lower section... They just sit there and smile at you.

I am thinking they need to offer an overnight on the upper section on the river and then a the pull out at Gores Landing with an overnight at the campground.
An upper river trip with two nights of camping ... 1st night with camping chow on the river bank and the next night at Gores landing with crackers and what ever you want or some home made Pizza.

The local Ma & Pa Pizza shop (Home Made) with 3 employees, ya know it has to be good .. two making it and one delivering it........

Eat camping chow one night on the river bank and then when you get to Gores Landing call into town for a homemade Pizza with everything for supper when you have camp set up. :D They do deliver to Gores Landing .... Just ask Joe at the Outpost for there number, we could not do it because we were in the tents ...... Sugar ( I ) melts when it gets wet ... :roll: Ya ... Know.. ( Besides My cell phone did not work there :twisted: )
Sam (the ranger might be willing to call for you if you would be nice and get him one also , he is willing to help any way he can and is a really good person..... our type of people)

Chuck.... Don't forget our friends when paddling or camping...... All of us love it or we would not be doing it and enjoy helping each other. :D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice pictures. I recognize Al's tent and boat. Camped with them on the Au Sable River here in Michigan, and at Lake Mijinemungshing in Ontario. All that extra overhang he has on he eaves pays off in a rain storm, and in catching breeze.

Nice pictures, Chuckie. I wanted one of you too, though. There's a mouse in my basement, and I figured that would scare him away.

Oh - by the way - welcome home.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Nice pictures, Chuckie. I wanted one of you too, though. There's a mouse in my basement, and I figured that would scare him away.

Oh - by the way - welcome home.

That is why I take the pictures ..... no one ever sees the person behind the camera. :D This is a blessing since that mug would break most monitors and make everyone run away screaming in panic causing world wide destruction.

It is a lot safer just using the southernpaddler logo in place of me. It does attract good looking gals .... something , I have never done. :p

Chuck

Otter

Apr 9, 2005
Palm Bay FL
Finding solace from your trip

We were dissapointed to have come all that way, enjoy the steak and potatoes, and good company for the night. I walked down and watched the river and was looking forward to the next few days on the river with the guys. I had taken the week off from work and had been looking forward to the trip durring the preceeding weeks. But, :( sad to say, we could not go because Harry got chocked up on Chucks steak. I wonder if it was becaause Harry was so hungry that he ate too fast, OR, it was Chucks cooking that did him in. :?:
In the end, it was nice to see that it would not have been the perfect trip had we been able to stay and make the run with the rest of the guys. :) But I have to admit, a few days on the river in any weather, is better than good day in the normal daily routiene.
It was a great trip report, and the pictures are terrific as well. I'm looking forward to going again, when we all are able to make the run together. :)

islandpiper

You are the envy of this violin shop, Chuck. sounds like a good trip. you didn't mention if any of the treehuggers had a choking fit. Could you try cooking their veggies next time and see what happens? Just to complete the experiment, you understand.....to help determine if it was the roasted cow or the cook that caused it. If it turned out to be the cook.....well, maybe we can get you job cooking in the Senate Lunch Room in Warshingham DeeCee......

Piper

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Jeez that's pretty Chuck. Sorry you had some issues to get thru. Nice to see Chuckies turkey feather rain dance is working again. I think you have some thing else going on. Brr'r Bear found a discarded tent in NC when it rained and were there, now some one discarded a tent afteranother rain and you were there......One more time and your on a streak. Chucks rain and discarded tent trail. Maybe Northface or Timberline needs to hire you when they test new tents?

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I give that tent ta some scouts. Speakin' of scouts, dont Art owe us pichurs of him 'n hiz scouts on the Buffalo River? I got a memory like a elephant. Mac sez that wuz gwine ta be a drawback if we had made it ta Pennsylvania Avenue back in 2004. I reckon it iz jest az well that Swampy lost the "vote fer me" signs.............'n we didnt realize it wuz 50 states now. Wont be long til the Tributarian Party will set things rite 'n bring back the republic...fer which it stands.

Sorry, but when yer a high politickle fella like me, ever time ya git a chance ya give a speech....the shorter the better. :mrgreen:

regards
bearridge
bodine college of politikle science

There are two things that are important in politics. The first is money, and I can't remember what the second one is. Mark Hanna

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Piper............
To answer your question........ It is my understanding the treehuggers were quite upset with us barbarians cooking the dead cow and drinking fermented drinks.
Then we had the gall to let the wind blow all of that fowl smelling smoke over to where they were ......... polluting there lungs and body.
I am wondering how they put up with the smell of the oak smoke from the fire, we were burning a tree.

My bet is ...... It upset them so much they were barely able to enjoying there tofu burgers with the artificial beef flavor in them. As if none of them have never enjoyed a good steak or juicy ( real ) beef burger at some point in there life , or a good campfire. :roll:

I think we got off on the wrong foot with those folks right at the start.

We pulled in and on top of the vehicles were (Shutter) wood boats. Someone had to cut down a whole forest so we could make a couple small, skinny, light weight boats... I am sure they were po-poing us from the beginning.

Speaking of po-poing , I wonder if they know toilet paper is made from trees and you know what folks use it for. Brings a question to my mind, what do they use or don't they ever go. :?
Do they live in a house without any wood in it...... Jezzeeeee I have a million questions for them.

Oldyaker.......
DON'T TELL ANYONE .......They have me on there list for commissions from tents sold after someone destroys theirs camping with me. How did you think I finance my trips?
"O" by the way you forgot about John Depa on the one trip down in the glades with me. After the storm he said he knows why they call it a bathtub floor in those tents, his was full of water ... just like a bathtub. :lol:
Sometime when folks go camping with me they don't need a rain suit , they need a skin divers wet suit.
Now you know why , most folks who go with me use a Hammock , up off the ground ( flood plane ) and nice and dry.

Chuck.
"O" by the way .... Joe at the Ocklawaha Outpost is an Hennessey Hammock dealer.

michstripcanoe

Sep 10, 2003
Oscoda, michigan
Ocklawaha

Hey guys. As usual there is much more to the story than can be posted here. For instance, we saw lots of big fish. I mean some bbiiggggg fish. After setting up camp one night a fish kept rolling front of us. At first it looked like a gator chasing something. After a while we guessed it was a garfish. Joe confirmed it later when we discussed it with him that there are garfish in there and he and his buddies hunt them with their bows and fishshooting arrows. Mac was drooling every day but for the first time he decided to leave his fishing gear home----poor guy I thought he was going to have a fit--all that drooling and the fish just thumbed their noses at us. For several hours one day there was not a sound, or a single breath of moving air. We could hear the leaves drop and settle into the water. All I could say at one point, when Chuck drifted up next to me was "isn't this something" Not a sound, just the occasional bird calling. Oh by the way as a point about the area. This is where they filmed all the Johnny Weismueller "Tarzan" movies. Real jungle. If you closed your eyes and listened you could imagine the tarzan swinging thru the trees with the bird sounds in the background. The last time I floated this stretch we saw lots of monkies. After they finished filming tarzan they either released the monkies or they escaped, anyway they're out there. But, on this trip we didn't see any of them. The locals hate 'em because they eat most of their fruit when it ripens. Jack likes to canoe(kayak) in clear water---Jack you won't find any more clear than this. You'd love this trip I'm sure. Hope you can do it some day. Just bring a good waterproof tent. Chucks in the neighborhood you know. A good rain brings more challenges anyway, don't you know. Hope this little episcle adds to the trip report on one of Floridas finest rivers---the Ocklawaha. Dapper Al.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Al, I'm glad you hooked up with that bunch of ne'er-do-wells down there. You add some class to the group - some veracity too.

I know I can believe everything that Dapper Al says. He'd never fib. I watched him at work with the waitresses in Wawa, Ontario. LORRRRD - don't he shine!