Ocklawaha River Dec 11th , 2007. Geezer Trip. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ocklawaha River Dec 11th , 2007. Geezer Trip.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Well, the river run is in the history books at this time.

While at Buck Lake days and decided on the Ocklawaha as the river of choice and they left it up to me to set up the trip.

After I got home from that shocking experience, I made two phone calls to see if anyone wanted to go and had 8 guys signed up ... WOW ... That was quick and easy. Anymore then that and we would be in each others way, so this is a Florida Boys River trip.

Harry (the Commodore) , Harry, Jr., Gary, Van, Ray, Mac, Joe Fennell and Joe ( Lazyriverguy ) along with myself would make the river run.

We meet at the Ocklawaha River Outpost and secured two of the cabins for the 1st night which turned into a pizza party and BS contest, something normal for us.

Up in the morning and since Joe (Lazyriverguy) managed to get a few days off from running the outpost (his lovely wife, Val. got stuck with the job) he had Val. shuttle us to the river for the drop off.

Van
Dec07%20001.jpg

Joe
Dec07%20002.jpg

Mac
Dec07%20006.jpg

Harry an Ray
Dec07%20003.jpg

Joe ( Lazyriverguy)
Dec07%20005.jpg

Gary an Harry Jr.
Dec07%20007.jpg

On the water and off for some fun days the weather was perfect, clear skies, warm, if not hot and in the mid 80's during the day with the mid 60's during the nights and plenty of clear skies chocked full of stars, even a few shooting ones.

Before dark I cooked up a (heaping, very full) large cast iron pot of shrimp and scallops with spices and garlic for the gang along with some baked beans on the side and Harry had a loaf of bread so we had a good supper.

Sitting around the campfire enjoying life,
Dec07%20008.jpg

continuing the BS contest (We never did decide on a winner) and then off to the tents and hammocks. During the night we had the pleasure of listing to water droplets hitting the rain flys. The fog would roll in and get the leaves on the trees wet, then that would rain down on us without any rain anywhere around. The sound of rain without any rain.
Dec07%20010.jpg

2nd day we stayed in the same camp, had to recover from the two or three hours of paddling the day before. Actually we sort of drifted along with the current and did very little actual paddling, the river was very willing to move us down stream. We were more then willing to let the river have it's way, why fight success.

During the lay over, resting up day, Mac managed to catch some bream , using dough balls from some bread we had left over , fun fishing to pass the time.
Dec07%20021.jpg

and a couple of bass while goofing off around camp and Joe ( lazyriverguy ) showed Mac how to get the big fish, he got a mudfish ( bowfin) about twice the size of Mac's bass.

Up river view from camp #1...
Dec07%20009.jpg

The guy's gathered firewood for the evening and most of the day we had a fire going with coffee cooking or something by the fire , it was used.

That evening back to the BS after supper and even the Owls sat up in the trees laughing at all of the tall stories that were flowing as fast as the water in the river.

Up in the morning and after a leisurely breakfast on the water, another strenuous day of paddling, about 3 hours of drifting we were at our next campsite.

We could get one more boat in there since Joe (lazyriverguy ) had to leave.
Dec07%20028.jpg

Camp #2 from the river
Dec07%20032.jpg

Boy this paddling is really tiring, we had to sit back and have a cold one to recover from all that exertion to get there. Set up camp and was ready for the evening at about 2 in the afternoon. Did I say we never get in a rush ?????

Joe ( lazyriverguy ) had to leave, he had a group of paddlers coming in, early the next morning and needed to be at the Outpost to get them on the river so he left a little while after we got everything set for the day. He paddled on down river to the outpost, talk about a busman's holiday.
Another relaxing evening and night with a grand fire and the silence of the woods to enjoy before getting on the water in the morning and paddling to the outpost.

The river from our camp #2.
Dec07%20029.jpg

While gathering firewood Van stuck a tip of a palm frond in his eye and it scratched it really bad so the gang was up early in the morning and off to the vehicles at the outpost so they could get Van to his doctor, he just had two lens implants before the trip. They needed to get that eye checked out and all of them were in the same vehicle.
Joe and I hung around the camp and did not hit the river till about 10:30 since we had a cabin saved, there was no rush on our part to get anywhere.
Except for looking forward to that hot shower, some cold beer and a pizza when we got to the outpost.

Everyone had a good time (anyway I think they did) and as Gary said, If I would just of meet you guys 10 years sooner.

Between our camp#2 and the outpost , Joe and I while drifting along saw a ton of Gators , big and small with all sorts of bird life , if you are quiet it is a wild river.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
As far as eats went for the trip , we had everything a person could think of , shrimp , scallops , steaks , baked potatoes , pork chops , eggs , sausage , tuna , sardines , viennas , crackers , soups of all descriptions and ... YES... Even BEANS.
Gary brought a box of MRE's for everyone to try and believe it or not , there were some pasta and veggies ones along with one which was something Jack would die for , or die if he ate it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep.... Vegetarian , veggie burger with BBQ Sauce. (menu #12) , Sorry Jack ...I grabbed that one and one of the pasta and veggies (menu #11) for later down some other river. Heck being the nice guy I am , I would let you have one if we were camping together and you wanted a good meal. :wink:

As Gary said , I brought all this food and with the food all of you brought , the wife is going to think I did not eat anything and I'm sure I gained at lease a few pounds.
We don't go hungry on the trips and could of stayed at another week without any problems. The Commodores ( Harry's) table ( a tradition with us ) is always loaded with goodies from everyone when in camp.

Needless to say that makes the second best thing the Commodores chair , the one with the hole in the center of the seat and the roll of toilet paper and entrenching tool next to it out in the woods away from camp but always with a good view.

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Ozark said:
I am always interested in camp kitchens are there any pictures showing it better?

Sorry ..no. We used everything from single burners on the little gas cylinders , My double burner Coleman with white gas , Sterno and even the fire with a grate over it. Then there are the cast iron ( which I like ) along with backpacking pots and even the old GI , Mess kits , stainless steal ones. You name it and we have it someplace on the trips.

The food was in coolers , Rubbermade Action Packers ( plastic chests) and plastic bags and some was just loose in the canoes.

I will make a point of taking some shots on the next river run.

Tx river rat.

We got stupid and actually paddled for a short while... The guy's threaten me with personal harm if I would mentioned that in the trip report. It was more then normal , about 10 minutes out of each hour. :lol:

Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
tx river rat said:
Chuck
Is that your wooden canoe and if it is how do you like that paddle and did you build it.
Ron

Guilty as charged.

It is made from the plans that an European designer has for the Peter borough ( Canoe plans ).
I did not mention there name because there plans are really short if not missing a lot of information needed to build one. In fact there plans will make you do a lot of cussing , even if you are an experienced wood boat builder ( Just ask Jack).
If you are new at building wood boats then you would swear all of us are sadistic if you tried to make one of there boats and go back to plastic boats.

I trimmed off about three inches on each end in the height because it was wasted wood and would cause a person a lot of problems with weathercocking when paddling.

It was designed as a tandem but I made it as a solo and the finished length is 16 feet at 39 pounds.
I did my normal thing , lighter the recommended wood and not making it the way they suggested , some slight oldsparkey modifications which I rarely ever do to any boat when I make it , cough , gasp , choke , gag . :lol:

Lazyriver guy....

I can truly say it was our pleasure that you bribed your lovely wife to let you take a few days / nights on the river with us. The history that you advised us of about the river and your presence there was the highlight of the trip.

See ... I'm an experienced BS artist also.....:lol: :lol: :lol: Really in all sincerity I mean what I said , just had to get that last jab in since I was out gunned while on the river. This beginner was in with EXPERTS.
Between you and Mac , plus a few others , Vans name withheld to protect the guilty , no one stood a chance since we were laughing so hard.:D

Chuckles
PS. I'm still looking for that mule. :wink: Besides I have one of your shirts to prove I was there. ( Had to hang it over a chair since I can't take a picture of my back. Ha Ha Ha )

shirt.jpg

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Nice to see you guys had such a good time before Nurse Rached caught you.

Chuck - now that you know the secret of it not raining on one of your camping trips, you can tackle tide tables next. Who knows where this could lead???

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Lazyriverguy said:
Mr. KJack
Lets not put too much pressure on Chucky yet he is just now realising the effects of paddling without rain. This being his first time.
Joe

Go ahead and snicker ya sucker , If you would not of been with us then the fog would of stayed in the tree tops and not rained down on us , like a honest rain would/should of.

Anyway I should thank you for being along since there are two things that if I don't have happen on a trip then the trip is a loss.
One is to hear the Owls and the other is water droplets hitting my rain fly , two of the best sounds in this world when in the hammock. Now your snoring was close to a Owl with a bad case of a sinus infection. Luckley the real Owls were out there sounding off and almost ... I said ... Almost ....canceled the noise you were making. :p

This is the 1st trip I have been on in my life time when the fog rained on me and guess who was along and has not been on the rest of the trips ... His Initials are ..... Lazyriverguy. :lol:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I'm glad you had a good time Boss......But I'll tell ya what.....I had huge problems keeping these guys on the straight and narrow! :? Jack, Piper, Ozark and a few of the others stole the liquor cabinet key. I had to fight like hell to get it back....of course that was after half the booze was gone and just when the Hooters Danc'n Girls arrived! I'm real sorry they drank all your cold beer. About that burn in your carpet......Jack did it but it was with a fine high dollar SeeGar!
I'm glad your back Chuckles.....I need a rest from keeping these hoodlums in line! :roll: :?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Well If I'm gonna take a switchen over this Sparkey at least let me go out and cut my own switch so I kin think about what these older boys done to me.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Ozark - don't cut a little switch. They sting the worst! Get one about finger thing, and maybe partly dead so's it'll bust off after a whack or two.

(Almost sounds like a voice of experience, ehh?)

Did I ever tell you about the time my Momma sent me up the tree to knock down green apples so she could make a green apple pie? She was bent over picking up apples, and I saw a target of opportunity. I wound up like Bob Feller his own self, and let fly. WHACK!

The second dumb thing she did that afternoon was tell me to come down from the tree so she could spank me. My Momma didn't raise no fools. I spent the afternoon in the tree until Dad got home and called me in for supper.

I did notice that my piece of pie that Mom cut me evening was a tad slender, though.

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Oh no it was you boys that got me in the do do. Don't go changin the story till I get a fence post cut for my woopin. We lived in one of the greatest times in life though didn't we?

Ozark

Oct 23, 2007
Ozark Mo.
Sorry Sparkey your trip report was great. Does anyone pack with dry ice for extented refidgeration of more than three days?