Ogeechee & Fort McAllister Guard Duty. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ogeechee & Fort McAllister Guard Duty.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Took out of here on Thursday and enjoyed a road trip up to the top part of Georgia and arrived at Fort McAllister State Park right at 4 P.M. Picked out a campsite and set up.

ga%20005.jpg

Sat back and enjoyed life looking for Swampy and KT which should arrive soon. :lol:

Moseyed around , goofed off , killed time , finally ate some supper and sat around watching the local wildlife. Squirrels all over the place and birds everywhere in the perfect weather. Finally decided it was getting near bed time since it was 15 to 10 and who pulls in.......... You Guessed it.

ga%20001.jpg

We got there camp set up and then sat around till no one could keep there eyes open and hit the sack looking forward to Friday and checking things out in the area.

Friday rolls around , we are up for a Chief Swampy camping breakfast and a good day. The time passed in a rush and before you knew it it was just after noon and the sky's got dark , the water fell in rain drops and the rest of the day was just that. It did take a break around supper time when Yak & Pat and later Frankie and westbury arrived so we were able to fix supper outside.
Swampy and I were joking about having a all day shower since we were rather wet from the rain and being out in it , Yep , we don't have the smarts to get out of the rain. :roll:

During supper Frankie was saying the river does have a tidal influx to it and that the trip is 13 miles not the 10 or so I thought it would be. Since the Doc was putting the OK on 5 miles and I got him to 10 but they had to be easy miles and this was 13 , I decided that camping was the better choice for right now. As I told the gang , just because the boat is on the vehicle , does not mean I have to use it. Not paddling did hurt but I am still camping and that makes the trip a winner every time , especially when you are with good friends.

After supper and the gang took out , it started raining again and keep it up into the morning hours , before daylight , The sound of rain on a tent , what a nice way to sleep. Which was broken a lot during the night with Coons raiding everything.

ga%20008.jpg

Saturday ... Nice weather , Sky's cleared and it cooled down into the very comfortable range , a good day to be outside.
I had the coon duty in camp that day and KT had the squirrel duty , both critters would try anything to get the chow on the table or anywhere in camp if it was not locked up in a vehicle.
The coons came out around 10 in the morning and into all of the night , the squirrels from daylight to dark. One of the squirrels had the nerve to get on the table and chow down on cold grits while we were sitting at the table. Brave little farts.

Sat night after Yak ,Pat and Swampy returned ( just as I was lighting the campfire ) it was clear and cool , again a perfect night for camping.

Sunday .. Up to overcast skies and thinking it might rain , the camper was dry , so I folded and packed it up , as soon as I was closing the top ....RAIN. Rained off and on ( sprinkles actually) while having breakfast with the gang and around 10 I said that it's ... Florida here I come , said the good by's and took out. I hate to say this but as soon as I hit the interstate , clear , sunny skies.

Chuck.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
LOL It was clear before you made it out of camp Chuck! LOL

Hardly a cloud in the sky. But that's just how it is when you camp with the Rainman ... :p :lol:

Those coons were the most non fearing I have ever seen in a park. They almost asked for handouts! :shock:
But you were almost home when KT and i were treated by Yak and Pat at Love's .... Yes you missed it! But maybe this fall you'll be able to gather here in North Carolina for a small river run ... and some good eating...

swampy

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
We did see a few Whitetail Deer on the way out of camp. They wander around not too frightened by the crowd. Some will even come and eat out of your hands (if you have real grits, they hate the instant kind). :lol: We only let the racoons out when we have florida guests, sorry Swampy but when you camp beside those people you have to endure..... :lol: :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
buckisland1950 said:
We only let the racoon's out when we have florida guests, sorry Swampy but when you camp beside those people you have to endure..... :lol: :wink:

One of the campers stopped by camp Sat Morning and was telling us about the deer he saw on his morning walk or stroll around the campgrounds.
That is one nice campground , even with all of the furry camp robbers , squirrels , coons , oldyaker , swampy ..... "O"ooop's ... the last two when we are on the river , this time they furnished all the chow and chief Swampy did the cooking. By the way the Doc said my indigestion should go away in a few days. :lol:

Just picking on swampy , he is one fine camp cook. Heck on one trip we did spaghetti in the coffee pot , this time we did coffee in the spaghetti pot. Who said we can adjust and adapt to things. :p

Guy's trust me on this ... It was a ton of fun for me and I think all of you had a good time , anyway I sure hope so. :D

I sure did not like the $3.95 a gallion gas on the way home but the treasury just sent me a check ($1,200.00) to cover that which will be in the bank in the morning. Yep , one gas up at half a tank ...$42.75 :lol:

If anyone is wondering about Swampys and KT's tent ... I could of parked my traveling motel in there and still had room to move around , they do like small tents. :p :lol: :wink:

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Chuck....I hate to rat on the guy......but Swampy slipped a couple of coons into your camper before you drove away! :shock:

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Dratz Yak! He waz suppose to find that out later! :twisted:

Oz, my wife likes a hotel on the road. Never one to be shy about room size.
And I waz lucky this time! :shock: Usually an 18 wheeler accompanies me on these weekend trips ( Lawd you ought to see a 3-4 weeker!) :shock:
But, she carried only one small pack this weekend. But then too , you saw the size of our car in the picture LOL
:roll:

swampy

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Pix

My pix from the Ogeechee..Savannah.....Ft' McAlliater trip.

A Georgia Icon...Magnolia in bloom...they smell like fine perfume.

Chuckles and my daughter contemplating what Swampy may be up to.....Chuckles ain't a flower...he don't look like a flower.....and he sure don't smell like a flower! :roll:

Pat handling bow duty....

Our skillful guide and his trusty sidekick.....BuckIsland and GatorDog!

Zee Legend and great Voyageur his ownself makes a rare appearance ....NO Not Bigfoot! SWAMPY!

Swampy pushing down the Big 'O'!

Sand bar lunch.....

Chuck left for home since Mary was coming home....so the girls, Swampy and myself visited Ft. McAllister....

Ft. McAllister is located on the Big O.....Union Gunboats pounded the fort just before Savannah fell to Sherman.....

Old Rebel telling us how it was in 1864....

Swampy checking to see if anyone left something to eat in the barrel...

Too bad Chuckles had to hit the road.....This is Swampy's plate at Loves Seafood on the Ogeechee...Est.1949...

This is my plate of catfish, hush puppies, corn, and Savannah Red Rice at Loves....

This is what a plate of catrfish when I'm done with it....

Another river crew shot.....

Motley Crew at Loves....

Quick trip to Darien and visit Fort King George, GA's first fort, est 1721.
England's defense from the Spanish in FL.

Replica English sailing vessel at the Fort.....

Found this gator just outside Ft. King George, it was missing it's head and claws. I thought it was poached. I reported it to the park service. They said they found it dead with a bullet hole in the head. The park service rook the head and claws for study. They towed it out but the ride brought it back in, they were going to tow it out again. It was pretty long.

No trip to Savannah is complete without a visit to the oyster bar for a few dozen and cold brews...

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Boy ... That plate of catfish sure looks good.
Mary made it down here and we took her to the airport at 04:30 this morning , she is on her way home after a week here with the old folks. :lol:

We did manage to get in a BBQ dinner at my favorite smoke house , some shrimp and scallops one night , a few cook outs here at the house and way to much to eat but no catfish. Last thing Mary told me was her diet got shot in the rear while she was here.

Chuck.
PS. Anyone stopping by here does not leave hungry , No Sir , No Way.:D

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

How bout makin' them pichurs bigger? Looks like ya'll had a swell time, but I caint really tell cuz my spectakles kin only do so much. Mebbe if I wuz a midget? 8)

regards
bearridge

Forget injuries, never forget kindnesses. Confucius

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
bearridge said:
Friend oldyaker,
How bout makin' them pichurs bigger? regardsbearridge

Sorry 'bout that br'r bear.....I didn't want spanked by the Sparkenator fer too big pitchures! Go to webshots.....scully4848....General Fun.....pages 3-4 for bigger pitchers of the trip report. Makes the gator and catfish look better too! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
oldyaker said:
bearridge said:
Friend oldyaker,
How bout makin' them pichurs bigger? regardsbearridge

Sorry 'bout that br'r bear.....I didn't want spanked by the Sparkenator fer too big pitchures! Go to webshots.....scully4848....General Fun.....pages 3-4 for bigger pitchers of the trip report. Makes the gator and catfish look better too! :wink:

One thing for certain , no one will have a problem down loading them , much less have to scroll from side to side to see them. :lol: