Ogeechee... | SouthernPaddler.com

Ogeechee...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
WOW! I had a great trip report......this stupid thing lost it!%!@%!@$%@!$%!@@ :x

OK......I'm posting it again......a little at a time. So I don't lose a whole lot if it happens again.

Anyway......Eight of us met at Dashers landing for a fine day of paddling. BuckIsland and ambassador of paddle Savannah, loaned me a fine boat....Wenonah Solo....a sweet unit. There was Catfish(Rex), Gator8em(John), Dave, Leon, and two fine ladies, Debbie and Diane. All wonderful and great people to share a river with on a fine day!
Ogeechee%20004.jpg

The O is a fine river with a nice current and clean water. That is BuckIsland(Franke) in front of me. He is a great guy...just a little twisted. :wink:
Ogeechee%20005.jpg

Here is Catfish....lokk'n good and so natural on the water. He reminds me of an old salt Cajun with the hat.

Ogeechee%20008.jpg

More pix to follow......don't want to loose the whole thing again! :x

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
More Ogeechee.....

The Ogeechee....beautiful. I was surprised to see the water so clear...

Ogeechee%20009.jpg

BuckIsland and his whacky twisted pooch....Westbury. I think Westbury gets his ill sick traits from Franke. :wink:

Ogeechee%20012.jpg

Gator8em and Catfish.....two great guys to share a river with......

Ogeechee%20014.jpg

More coming....

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
True to Geezer fashion.....paddle a half hour and take a half hour break.
I like BuckIslands style!

Ogeechee%20018.jpg

Cool and Calm.....Gator. Gator said, "Don't forget to post some pictures!" I said maybe tomorrow night. He said, "Oh ya need time to make up some stories! I'm hurt Gator....to think you would suggest anyone on this forum would stretch the truth! :roll:

Ogeechee%20020.jpg

Westbury look'n for a gator...and I believe he would tangle with one!

Ogeechee%20019.jpg

Moe com'n...

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Debbie beachcombing on another break....WONDERFUL!

Ogeechee%20025.jpg

Easy and cool.....Leon Freon!

Ogeechee%20026.jpg

Nice beach and campsites.......

Ogeechee%20024.jpg

Nothing excites Gator.......Here he makes it look easy....

Ogeechee%20034.jpg

Beautiful river and weather....

Ogeechee%20037.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Time for a cooling swim before lunch....

Ogeechee%20042.jpg

Here the tripmaster and his bloodhound on my trail as I try to escape my captivity as hostage....that dog is a killer! :shock:

Ogeechee%20032.jpg

Gator cooking the tube steaks and Dave providing shade for the cook. Man those were good dogs! BuckIsland had more condiments than a ball park.....He even had Vidalia onions! I know they were Vidalia onions because they had Vidalia written on the side in magic marker!....first class trip host he is!

Ogeechee%20041.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
I never knew wooden train trestles still existed. We paddled thru this one.
Dave has a true and sad story about this trestle........He is also a fine JoGa Gentleman and great guy.

Ogeechee%20045.jpg

Two hour lunch breaks are nice. Here Cat is sneaking back to his cooler for a Pepsi........He saved many a life with his Pepsi. Thanks Cat!

Ogeechee%20049.jpg

Your reporter in captivity and torture!

Ogeechee%20051.jpg

Dave and Diane looking for snakes or turtles......Dave is very knowledged on the subject.

Ogeechee%20028.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Hated to see the day end.....

Ogeechee%20046.jpg

Ogeechee%20048.jpg

Ogeechee%20047.jpg

Well, the trip did end and with a tearful goodby to my new friends, I headed North. Special thanks to a great guy and trip leader......BuckIsland(Franke) for proving me with boat and almost everything else. You can call him Mister paddle Savannah. I will paddle with this group again! You can bet on it!
If you ever decide to paddle near Savannah, get in touch with BuckIsland thru the forum or on his local Yahoo group site , Backwater Expeditions to see if a local paddle is in the works. It's free....it's fun. Thanks to all on the trip! Keep the wet side down!

I'm getting close to home. Thru this fog and 600 feet down in the New River Gorge is old paddling waters of mine.

Ogeechee%20057.jpg

I know I'm almost home when I see these mountains.....

Ogeechee%20068.jpg

These mountains were not so peaceful at one time....

Ogeechee%20066.jpg

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK Gator....see how truthful I can be? Must be Jack your thinking of.... :wink:

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Oldfulla,

Great report mate. And lovely piccies thank you :D Tis a fine looking river.

Please share with us some more piccies (particularly the ones with the fine looking wimin in em.):p

real glad ya had a good trip mate. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thanks Mick........Debbie was swimming in the river and a water snake came REAL close to swimming down her swim suit......had that happened, I would have had some great piccies! :shock: Damn snake missed by two inches! :x :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Those Georgia folks must ... NO Scratch that ... They are some really nice folks to go paddling with a Yankee and he is an Eye-ta-lion to boot.

They either enjoyed his company or just don't have any shame. Ya know to be seen in public with someone like that , dang I bet they would even paddle with Bear or Kayak Jack. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep .. Like I always say , we have more fun on here then anyone should and off the computer we even have more fun with the folks who are on here , Life is grand , the river is outstanding , the friends are the best. Who could ever ask for more.

Where else are you going to get a bunch of fun loving folks together for a paddling trip at the drop of a hat .......

Oldyaker , Ya got me to thinking , ( I will send you the bill for the aspirins) How do you think the river would work out for a couple of nights on a camping and paddling trip. Now since ya all paddle like some of us , Ya know nice an slow with a lot of breaks during the day to conserve energy and in no hurry to get anywhere. The trip could turn into a few more days , especially since that river looks like it needs to be enjoyed at a leisure pace.

Something to think about. Plenty of sandbars for tents and trees for hammocks. Besides why should you have all the fun :D

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
oldsparkey said:
Something to think about. Plenty of sandbars for tents and trees for hammocks. Besides why should you have all the fun :D
Chuck.

My thoughts exactly Chuckles. The stretch we did was 13 miles, I know you can turn that into a 2 nighter easily. The was alot more river behind and in front of us. I bet you can make a 4-5 night trip real easy. Maybe paddle all the way to Fort McAllister for something different. You and Franke would get along just wonderful......I know he could set something up. I bet he paddles more than anyone in Chatham County, Georgia.....Maybe Bryan and Effingham thrown in too. Hit him with a PM or email. He is real nice guy and willing to help.
I forgot to mention, he has been turning out some nice wood paddles as well.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You know the folks , 1st hand , so why not see what might be arraigned for a 4 or 5 night trip on the river.

I would think about Spring time , still cool , no bugs and perfect paddling weather. It would get you out of the snow and let me go north for some cooler temps.

Just a thought. :roll:

Chuck.
PS. You are right a 13 mile paddle is definetly a two nigher , could even be three if Bear is along , you remember how he likes to sleep till noon and then paddle for two hours , then pull over set up camp and take a nap. ( Boy I'm in some deep Do Do when he reads this ). :lol: :lol: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK....Sounds good. I'll bounce it off Franke and see what he can cook up!
I like Spring!

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Yak Glad to see you made it home ok. I don,t know about the rest of the geezers but I had a wonderful time with you guys on the river . Yak thanks for the great trip reports & pics. Met alot of nice other people too. Looking forward to it again.

This river is trully a great river , I was amazed @ how clear the water was. That is for most of the trip until a black water creek ran into it then the water changed . Before it changed I was able to see several schools of mullet , brim & we seen several big sturgeon jumping.

The river was real clean also the ogeechee river keepers do a great job. I also want to personally thank Franke & John for planning & inviting us for the trip. I had a great time.

Chuck I never thought I would witness a yankee coming all the way to south ga to get some gritzzz but I did. He showed me & gatur , he had the whole trunk of his car loaded .I don,t guess Yak was going to tell the rest of you that . He claims he comes down to sav twice a year for his job , now I know better . :wink: :lol: P.S Jack I even think he got some for you too.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
After a few sessions of traveling, camping, and paddling with the Yakus Garlicus, I extend my empathy to you others on the trip. His capacity for biscuits and gravy, strawberry sundaes, dago red, truthful yarns, and horseplay in general are legendary.

I hope that he didn't sing for you.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Camping on the Ogeechee

We can definitely set up something for camping. The only problem I could forsee with the spring is we usually have higher water and that eliminates the sandbars. We usually head down to the Suwannee during that period for river camping. Anytime the water is down we have at least a hundred miles or more above us that is great for camping during low water. I have paddled from Millen down to Hwy 119, 75 miles and camped at highwater but it's definitely in the woods and not as pleasant as we have right now....

Just give a shout and we'll shout back..

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Camping on the Edisto River in November

We do a yearly trip up to the Edisto river and camp at Colleton State Park, SC. We do day trips out from the park and do some fine eating while there. We are planning on camping from the 9th to the 11th of Nov and anyone that would like to join us are definitely invited. It's a small park but that time of year has plenty of spaces available....