Ogeechee... | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Ogeechee...

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Excited about camping

Got so excited I forgot to mention how much we enjoyed paddling with you! You're definitely welcome anytime and if folks up north are as great as you we'll be glad to have them down. Maybe even do a Shrimp Boil or Fry a Turkey for em.....

Great Pictures, will add a few when I remember. Might hold back a few for Blackmail but stay tuned. "Devil Dog" says Woof.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Re: Camping on the Edisto River in November

buckisland1950 said:
We do a yearly trip up to the Edisto river and camp at Colleton State Park, SC. We do day trips out from the park and do some fine eating while there. We are planning on camping from the 9th to the 11th of Nov and anyone that would like to join us are definitely invited. It's a small park but that time of year has plenty of spaces available....

Oldyaker , Swampy , David and myself were there in Apr 06 and it is one nice park , Carolin Outfitters right across the water shuttled us to the green swamp for a day paddle back down to the campsite.
Page #3 Trip Reports. Three posts , two by myself and one by swampy.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Re: Camping on the Edisto River in November

buckisland1950 said:
We do a yearly trip up to the Edisto river and camp at Colleton State Park, SC. We do day trips out from the park...
Friend Franke,

Up til I found this place, most of my paddlin' wuz day trips. I didnt drink, cuss 'er stretch the truth. My only day trips now are frum the Lost Mine Campground in west Carolina. I like campin' away frum folks....'n all the noise they make. I didnt join up fer the Geezer Edisto Expedishun cuz I hate when the drivin' time iz near bout az long az the paddlin' time.

I still wanna see how slow I kin piddle down that Ogechogeeee 'n mebbe the Edisto too. Seems we talked that over 'n IIRC the Edisto didnt have good campin' spots along the way.....fer a 4-5 day paddle. Mebbe it wuz jest a high water problem....like the Oghehechogeeee?

I got a big sign on my canoe that sez "Suwanee 'er Bust"...but I wanna paddle, not hike. :wink:

Now that we got pichurs of the Aint Rite Gang. Ya'll better not swipe any more ole Italian barnstormers, all we gotta do iz look fer folks wearin' stylish hats 'n neckerchiefs....with an attack dog. :mrgreen:

Even tho it wuz jest a day trip, I wish I had been there ta suffer with oldyaker.....even in a "r" month. :wink:

regards
bearridge
Paddlin' Geezer Canoe Clud

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.  Bill Watterson

CamperDave

Nov 12, 2005
Southwestern PA
Georgia on my mind...

Hey Jimmy...
Great report and I love that long,slow, lazy river....made me jealous not to be there....warm weather, new and old friends....being outside....life is good my friend...so glad you had a good time...and it seems you've paved a way for us Yankees to go back down there and enjoy with them.... :lol: camperdave

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
OK Buck Island............These are the requirements.

Need a 3-5 night paddle down the OhGee.......Maximum day paddle for a paddl'n geezer is about 8 miles(They want the Happy Hour set up for about 3PM)....Spring of the year so it's not too hot or too buggy.......but not too high of a water level so sand bars can be enjoyed.

So Franke.....Whats the best time of the year?

PS: Brr'r Bear....Dem oysters don't know the months of the year. :wink:

Catfish....That was someone elses trunk you was look'n into.... :roll:

I guess my trip report would be remiss if I failed to show a couple Savannah Pix.
An old city, it was founded in 1733, need I say more about alot of history here. Of course river street sits right along the Savannah River. The days of old would find the street lined with wooden sailing vessels, than steamers.

SAV-0107%20041.jpg

The cobblestone streets are made of ballast stones from ships coming from Europe in the day of sail.

SAV-0107%20040.jpg

A common sight walking river street or sitting in one of the fine establishments.

SAV-0107%20027.jpg

A fine establishment.....I have eaten oysters here every month of the year. ARRRRRRR! or no ARRRRRRRRRRR! :wink:

SAV-0107%20033.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend oldyaker,

I rode over ta the Firemen's Club with Lance this afternoon. He went ta Houma, Louisiana while we wuz out west. He went fer oysters. Nobody there would sell him any. Seems it wuz a "r" month.

When he got back he called back down there....some place called "Wilson" IIRC. He sez they laughed 'n tole him they ship oysters in dry ice ever danged day....overnite delivery. He ordered a gallon. They come the next day 'n then wasted 'em....by fryin' the whole gallon.

It brings a tear....but if ya want oysters this mite be a good place. http://www.louisianaseafood.com/supplie ... IndiID=457

regards
bearridge

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.  P. J. O'Rourke

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yak that mighta been someone elses trunk but it did have Yak on the liecense plate. Guys it was sqatting so bad its a wonder he didnt get pulled over for hauling moonshine. :wink: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend catfish,

If it wuz hiz car 'n if it wuz hiz grits, my guess iz he got 'em up above the Mason Dixon. He drives by this ole grist mill that turns out some of the finest grits I ever ate. I dont mind Yankees havin' a mill where they kin make fine grits.....we caint afford 'em anyway. :cry:

I figger Mister Sam Walton's evil empire will put Aunt Jemima 'n all the other grit sellers in the road. Great Value oysters, peanut butter, lard, notebook paper, glue, motor oil, etc.

The last two 'er three times I made grits I added some file (like in Hank Williams' gumbo). Not bad. No tellin' what I mite add next month.

regards
bearridge

ps Fine lookin' river shirt. :mrgreen:

Woodrow Call: How do I know you won't start missin' your wife after about five miles and decide to quit?
Po Campo: My wife is in hell; where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
sorry....I hear ya eat raw oysters in months with an "r"....not in ones that dont. Lance wuz in Houma in August. When he got home, it was likely September.

Good thing I got that wrong in September. :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Yak you remember us talking about frying turkeys & cooking up some low country boil. Well guess what we had @ my father in laws yesterday. Yea you guessed right I cooked up some for dinner man it was good. I even thought about you. :wink: :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Sounds like I should have stayed one more day Rex.... :(

Yep.....With or without an R........eat em.....doesn't matter....hasn't killed me yet.

"If da grits don't fit....ya can't convict!"
------- Johnny C. Expensive lawyer....

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
Sorry I didn't get to attend. Sounds like you had a blast.

....well if any of you guys are interested in doin' some fishin'. We have an event here in Beaufort Nov 9-11. We'll be doin' a "FrogMore Stew"... kinda like a LowCountry Boil only better (..but we don't believe in boilin'). Last year we cooked it over a camp fire (after a cooker failure). It will be a good time. http://beaufortarearedfishfloatilla.blogspot.com/

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
The "Aint Rite Gang" and the "Barf Boys" both on loose in Southern Carolina Nov. 9-11. I bet some world shakin' will be done. :wink: All ya'll have a swell time, but if I wuz ya'll I'd pay the High Sheriff ta go west 'er south that weekend....unless ya like rain.....'n lots of it.

regards
bearridge

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.  Unknown high school student

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
More Pictures of the Trip

Just wanted to add a few pictures that I took..... Excellent trip with great people!

This is at the put in (Dasher's on Hwy 80) waiting for the crew to get back from the shuttle

IMG_2596_1.jpg

Taking one of many breaks.

IMG_2623.jpg

Downriver showing the clarity of Black Water

IMG_2625.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That one picture .... I have no idea how many times I have seen it on rivers when paddling , probably thousands. The equivalent to ringing a dinner bell ... Hey Guy's , this is the perfect spot. Ya never need to force anyone over to you , usually someone in the pack is hollering up at me ... Chuck ... Find us a sandbar , Time for a snack.

IMG_2623.jpg

The lead boat or someone finds a good looking sandbar and pulls in an the next thing you know everyone has changed directions and is aiming for it. Usually with smiles on there faces and thoughts of a sandbar snack.

Our snacks are usually sausages (pepperoni ) sliced nice and thin with some sharp cheddar cheese on a ritz , or sardines an a slice of onion on a ritz or saltean (soda) cracker. Something else that is really good , a can of tuna with the tuna on a cracker and a drop of lemon juice on it.
Or the good old stand by for paddlers anywhere ... Vienna's sitting on a ritz. :D
Needless to say all the above can have a splash of Louisiana hot sauce on it and usually does. :lol:

Chuck.
PS. Makes me want to go paddling , the Vienna's always taste better when your feet are on some sand next to a river.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Hey Chuck who is that alian looking fellow in the white canoe, oh I forgot that is old Yaker . :? Geezers I believe Yak was going about 1/2 mph. He was always bringing up the rear I don,t know if he was looking for a manatee or what. :wink: :lol: I told him he forgot that he was in ga not fla.

Nay I guess I gotta let him off the hook sometimes I was bringing up the rear & sometimes it was me. You gotta remember Me ,Franke & Yak was in a canoe not a kayak.

Yak can you believe sparky want it oysters but he eats sardines. :shock:

Chuck I have to say I do like sardines,vieanas,tuna & oysters yep they go pretty good on them sodas with a soda. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Cat....Chuckles won't touch a sardine either......but he'll eat those Vienna Chicken Sausages. They don't even bother cleaning those chickens, they just march them all into a grinder with.....beaks....feet....feathers and all.
Form em into links and stuff 'em into a can. :shock: Now, ain't that gourmet' dining at it's finest? :?
I'lll stick with oysters.... :wink:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Yak I was just going by what sparky he said. :? Yak them sausage might have beaks ,feathers in them but they are still pretty good. I guess like the old saying what I don,t know want hurt me. :wink:

Yak when your out camping & eating @ dark you can,t see those beaks then. :lol: Youall like sparkys cooking well you don,t know what he,s putting in it besides garlic or gritzzzzz.