OK..Here is a Pirogue question for pirogue builders. | SouthernPaddler.com

OK..Here is a Pirogue question for pirogue builders.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Looking at your pictures of the build , on the pirogues , has led me to this question while studying the pictures.

It appears that all of us build them the same way , in a limited working area or space.

Anyone that might have the answer please say so.

OK... Here is the question for anyone who has built a pirogue , non builders , Ya is out of luck on this one...cause ya ain't built one an this is the pirogue section. :p

How many times do you think you walked around the pirogue (From one side to the other) during all of the construction from the start to the finished item? Don't forget the sanding and varnishing process ... if you haven't done it.

No one has asked me that question about building one , so I was thinking some impute from all of you would be quite interesting , I know I went from side to side more then just a few times. Never counted them.:twisted:

Chuck.
PS... Anyone filing ( or wanting to file) a Discrimination Law Suite against this post (because you built a different wood boat) can mail it to the (sometimes ) S.P. or O.S.F. Attorney ... Mr ( the Honorable , Esquire , White Water paddler /camper an grit eater ) Bearridge at way down yonder , where ever that is :lol: :lol: :lol:

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Well Chuck, that is a good question. I still need to final sand and varnish. But If you don't count all the sweeping and vacuming in my case :shock: it's still gonna be high. I could throw out a number like hundreds but without counting it's not accurate. Even still, I enjoyed every trip around her feeling the lines and just puttting my hands on the wood and shaping it. Maybe I will keep track of the varnishing process and see?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Why would this question not apply also to building ANY boat? Building a stripper may take more trips than a stitch and glue. A slab-sided peerow may take a few less.

We probably ought to wear pedometers as we build. We log lots of miles.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
Why would this question not apply also to building ANY boat? Building a stripper may take more trips than a stitch and glue. A slab-sided peerow may take a few less.

We probably ought to wear pedometers as we build. We log lots of miles.

SEE .. I knew that was going to happen , A TRESPASSER , Do we tar and feather him now or hold off for all the rest :?: Then he called our boats ... SLAB SIDED , the nerve of him. :twisted: No respect , absolutely No Respect and I bet he paddles kayaks. "O" What is this world coming to :roll: "O" ... What is this world coming to , where did we go wrong ? "O" well some folks are just past redemption. ( That is a fancy ( $10,00 ) word for any help )

I was thinking we might start a new exercise fad , building pirogues , it requires walking , bending , drinking beer , sweating , cussing , worrying and having fun.

The new cardiovascular exercise that provides positive results while building the pirogue and lots of fun , later when paddling. Not even thinking about cleaning out the shop.:oops:

After all , Like someone tells us ... Knowledge is only wasted if you don't pass it on!

Chuck. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
oldsparkey said:
I was thinking we might start a new exercise fad , building pirogues , it requires walking , bending , drinking beer , sweating , cussing , worrying and having fun.
Sounds like you 'n Richard Simmons oughta make a video? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

Sweatin' & Fartin' with the Oldies?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
oldsparkey said:
Sounds like you 'n Richard Simmons oughta make a video? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8)

Ha Ha Ha , A video would be interesting.

Like Jack said , a stripper would require more steps and I'm thinking a stitch and glue boat , say 10 panels would even require more or the same. Only because of the holes , the stitches , removing them then all the rest of the steps.

I am asking about the pirogue because it has the lease amount of procedures to do or repeat when building it. Then take those and multiply them by the number of panels or strips and a person could get an idea which would really surprise them.

The amount of physical energy put into making a boat from cutting the wood to having it ready to paddle should be surprising but as with any labor of love you really don't pay any attention to it , you are thinking about what you are doing and what you will have when it is done.

Now if someone would have a good idea about that , that will be darn interesting. The numbers would surprise you since it is something we don't think about since we are busy looking at the light in the end of the tunnel.

I am just having some fun , stirring the pot , and with any luck showing that making a wood boat is good physical (relaxing ) exercise , plus having a boat worth your pride and efforts.

TradGlenn , my bet is that it is a lot more then a few hundred. Just doing the graphite and epoxy could of been 20 times at the least , probably more :wink:

Chuck.

Scooter

Hmm....two months to build the pirogue. Worked on it most days of the week, we'll say 40 sessions. Figure 12-18 crosses to the other side per session. That's roughly 500-700 times, not including the daily visit to the shop to gawk. That puts us up to 1000, easy.

Thing barely fit in the shop caddy-cornered, and I had to suck in the gut to walk around. And my friends say I'm skinny. My eyes look like this when I suck it in>>>> :shock:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Thinking back...I'd say around 10 times per hour of building. So, ten times times how many hours it took you to build it.

FlaMike

Jun 20, 2007
Spring Hill, FL
www.ptponds.com
I know I walked around mine at least a 1,000 times.

I hadn't intended to build it in the garage, but the rainy weather down here left me with little choice. And since I had to work in there with the garage door closed due to a cat-traffic control problem, the temps got way up there. Outside, it hit 90* or so, daily.

So, I can attest to the weight-loss benefits!

The space available inside often had me moving one end of the boat or the other, most every time I needed to get to the other side.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
bearridge said:
oldsparkey said:

Or Sweatin' & Fartin' by the Oldies :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
[quote="BEARS BUDDY
Or Sweatin' & Fartin' by the Oldies [/quote]

Your right Ger.....Same as camping with Chuck and Jack...... :roll:

You have camped with Jack...you'll see what I mean when you camp with the two of them together! :?