Oklawaha #2

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Oklawaha Part Two
Gore's Landing to Eureka
By Sandy

Gore's Landing to Eureka. The Oklawaha doesn't get any prettier and the weather doesn't get any better. There were seven paddlers from last time and eight new folks. Excused absences include Bob Bateman, who called in sick, and George and Carolyn, who had to go to Hawaii. Now, normally, the Hawaii thing would be UN excused but they checked with the Prez for Life and me first and we allowed them to go. The Aquaholics were busy elsewhere and we missed them this time.

The river was flowing at a good clip and birds were chirping. Did I say that this is my favorite stretch of the river? It surely is. Sunning turtles and baby gators were plentiful. Brad pointed out a couple of "relatively big" water snakes. Surprisingly, the old riverboat we encountered on the first trip was still pushing its way downstream today. Brad found some background on the "La Reina" courtesy of the www and I took a photograph to share.

According to an article in the Orlando Sentinel, "..."The Queen," owned by Mission Inn, (Howie in the Hills), was trapped on the Ocklawaha River where she hit a submerged tree stump that knocked a hole in the hull...If the damage is too great and insurance won't cover repairs, the yacht, which used to take tourists fishing on the St. Johns River, will be dismantled...La Reina, which was built by a Palatka man in the 1930s, is among the last of the working riverboats that towed dinghies behind...She is made mostly of native Florida woods and is worth more than $500,000...Though she started life as a live-aboard fishing boat, La Reina now serves Mission in grand style, ferrying passengers for weddings, cocktail parties and the like. If insurance will restore the yacht, Mission plans to hire a crew with chain saws and underwater clearing equipment to fight their way through the Ocklawaha to sail her to a restoration company in Jacksonville..."

Apparently the insurance paid, because they finished "fighting their way through" today. As we loaded boats at Eureka we saw her motor out into the more open Oklawaha headed for the barge canal, the St. Johns River, and eventually, patches and paint.

I guess those were the highlights of this day except for when I stepped into the water and down onto the concrete boat ramp which was slick as snot...Woah! Is that why they call it a landing? OUCH! I hate when that happens. But it keeps them laughing and frankly, my behind...oh, never mind...

Next time, May 9, Eureka to Orange Springs (Landing : ) This is a lovely trip which includes the only swimming spring that I know of on the river. At least I think that's where it is since it was not where I thought it was last time. It's there. I can find it. Trust me.

Sandy

riverboat%202.jpg

Does anybody have anymore history on this riverboat? She sure was a work of art! Teak and stained glass everywere.

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
Sandy, both reports are outstanding and make me want to paddle that river one day. The river boat is awful perty and a must see for me if and when I get to go down there.
bro Bar could rent it and put us up for a campain through the orange state one day.... :roll: :wink:
Gettin those gritz or was it chads? straighten out wil help his cause....
Beautifyl picture of a lazy river.... wanna see more.

swampy

A

Anonymous

Friend Swampy,

I aint keen on campaignin'. Its jest promisin' a heap a stuff ya dont plan ta do in the first place. I kinda figgered I'd jest tell folks on Mister Gores web that I aint promisin' but one thing......I'm gwine ta see how much a that money I kin git fer myownself. [If I git more'n me 'n Miz Bear kin spend we will likely give the leftovers ta the workin' folks....they gwine ta need it.] :(

Like Ole John Wayne tole a fella one day "jest tell the truth...that way ya dont have ta keep track a which lie ya tole which sob".

I jest plan ta let folks know I want 'em ta elect me 'n that I been highly educated up ta the Bodine School.....mebbe use a greek motto?

"Uva uvam vivendo varia fit"

regards,

honest bearridge
bodine school of politikle science

"A fella who won't cheat fer a poke dont want one bad enuff." Gus