Oklawaha River Trip # 1 | SouthernPaddler.com

Oklawaha River Trip # 1

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
The paddling group( The silent otters) I'm in is paddling The Ocklawaha from SR 40 all the way to the St Johns this summer. Doing it in a series of 6 trips for an average of about 10 or 12 miles per trip. Of course this started a month ago and just now I get the bright idea to post the trip reports here! :oops:
Anyway, hope you enjoy. A couple of the sections are going to be new water for me and I'm really looking forward to them. If anybody is in the area dn would like to paddle with us, drop me a line and I can fill you in on details.
The first leg of the series took place on easter Sunday......

A fine group of Otters met Saturday morning near the Ocala Boat Club for the first leg of the Oklawaha River Series. We were joined by several members of the Aquaholics, one of the local paddling clubs. In keeping with the season, Our Lady of Perpetual Surprises (aka Sandy) arrived wearing a colorful Easter Bonnet that drew various reactions from the assembled crowd. Those of us who know her merely accepted this display as "the way it should be".

After completing the shuttle, canoes and kayaks were launched and the Great Oklawaha Adventure was begun. The weather was perfect, the current moderate and we paddled lazily through the river's many twists and turns. When one Aquaholic commented that we were going too fast (?), The Prez was heard to mutter under his breath "If I wanted to float, I'd be on a raft."

There was a minimum of motorboat traffic to contend with. A few people were fishing but none would admit to having a good catch. I guess they saw the rods and reels at the ready on several of our craft and trembled in fear. However, several people in passing boats did make comments about Sandy's Easter Bonnet. By far the best remark came from the guy in the baseball cap who said "I knew there'd be somebody out here today with a hat purtier than mine."

The wildlife sightings were plentiful and included banded water snakes, ibises, grey herons, white herons, green kingfishers, squirrels, emerald damselflies and dragonflies, and of course gators, gators, gators. The waterlilies were full of fat yellow buds waiting to burst into full bloom and fill the river with color. White wild lilies displayed their pristine blooms along the banks of the river.

The river was full of downed trees, but none were blocking the water
completely so no portages were required .. just the occasional duck of the head to avoid branches. Midway through the trip we stopped for lunch, sharing a narrow strip of beach with the resident ants. Minnows saw the food come out and flocked to the shallow water at the beach's edge looking for offerings. Several Otters obliged by paying homage to the river gods with sacrificial bits of bread and cheese. Apparently it was felt that a greater sacrifice might be needed for the remaining journey. So not long before we left the beach a brave Purple Peep selflessly leapt into the water and floated downstream to eventually be held captive by low hanging brush only a short distance away. It was a fine and noble gesture creating a sad moment
in our odyssey. And so with the proper sacrifice made, the Otters continued on their journey.

At one point we were entertained by Russ standing in his canoe and using his paddle in imitation of a Venetian gondolier. Elayne got into the spirit by relaxing languidly in the bow while Russ sang his loudest, if not best, Italian song. This scene was met by a smattering of polite Otter applause ...just enough to show appreciation for the effort but not enough to encourage further outbursts.

One unexpected and unusual sighting for the group was a 1915 riverboat, stalled on its journey to Jacksonville for inspection and registration. Quite a sight.

At last our trip through the peaceful wilds of the Oklawaha came to an end at Gore's Landing, the final resting spot of Florida's Troubador Will McLean. We all agreed that we had a good time and are looking forward to the next leg of the journey.

draino

Jan 27, 2004
St. Clair Shores, MI.
Up here on the Ausable we have the ocassional "pretzil hatch" mostly by accidentally tipping. Dont know what I'd use to match the purple peeper hatch? Draino

A

Anonymous

Friend swamprat,

That wuz a mitey fine tale. Jest yesterday I wuz lookin' in my bird book, tryin' ta figger out several that are in my yard that dont seem ta be in the book nowhere, when I run upon the green kingfisher. I showed hiz pichur ta Miz Bear 'n tole how I sho would like fer some a them ta come by fer a visit up ta our spot.

Sounds like ya'll had a fine expedishun.

respectfully,

bearridge
bodine ornithologikle society
sapsucker woods, south
delta test facility

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Swamprat

On one of the trips down the river we spent the night at Gores Landing and just a little after midnight one of the guy's had to make a nature call.

He crawled out of his tent and when he stood up he was looking a Black Bear in the face. They both took out in different directions ..........the bear made the most noise going thru the woods. :lol: :lol:

By the way Ocklawaha is Seminole for Crooked River.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Weird Birds of the Outback

Though Michigan has no purple peepers, we do have king fishers. Not just the standard "belted" kingfishers, either. Some wear suspenders, others use velcro.

Recent sightings are hinting at a duct taped king fisher.

(OK, someone else's turn now)

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Ha! Ya just never know what is gonna happen with this group. Purple peepers is probably one of thier more normal things :p Wait, that didn't sound quite right. The silent otters are not your normal run of the mill.....
well, lets just say, this ain't your daddys paddling club :p I just came back from a meeting with them. Pot luck dinner then discussed upcoming and past paddles. Then finished off the evening by doing a short moonlight paddle and a little drumming aound the fire. ( heres that infernal drumming again. )
Chuck, Gores landing sure looks like a place I could spend a long weekend at.Fishing and camping. Only possble problem would be restless natives. Any idea if the locals get out of hand there? Judgeing by the high number of jacked up 4X4's and airboat trailers, I kind of wonder if it gets a little wild on the weekends? ( now that wasn't PC was it? LOL)