Old Yaker, This one's for you | SouthernPaddler.com

Old Yaker, This one's for you

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Just wanted you to know we're suffering down here in the south with the cold also. It wasn't until yesterday that we could take our shirts off while paddling! See all that white stuff around my chair, could it be snow? :twisted:

IMG_3083.jpg

St Marys River this past weekend, First of December. More later when I have a chance to do a proper writeup.....

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
St.Marys River Snow , the best kind.

How was the river .. up or down on the water table and if you stopped at the St.Mary's River Outpost I hope you told Steve all of us are alive and well. The Family Restaurant in Folkston has some good chow.

I trust you did not mention oldyaker to Steve , he has meet him and has never been normal since then .... NO .. Steve , not oldyaker , he has never been normal and that is what makes him so much fun to know and be with.

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
We switched back ta early fall yesterday. Miz Bear mowed the brown leaves 'n now the yard iz green agin. :?

Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy. Aristotle

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
buckisland1950 said:
Just wanted you to know we're suffering down here in the south with the cold also. It wasn't until yesterday that we could take our shirts off while paddling! See all that white stuff around my chair, could it be snow? :twisted: St Marys River this past weekend, First of December. More later when I have a chance to do a proper writeup.....

Ya know Frankey....I thought you was my Pal.......However this goes to prove what a sick and demented guy you truly are......it's no wonder that poor little pooch of yours is deranged. Yeesh! Doing something that cruel to a guy. :cry: TWO WORDS FOR YOU FRANKEY! ____ ___!!! :x I hope ya got sand in your BVD's!

If you use the outfitter at St' Mary's for any services....don't tell Steve ya know Chuckles...he'll add a Chuckles surcharge!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Picture_26.jpg

PS: Kevin our Gulfstream rep was up the other day visiting Franke. He doesn't live too far from Dashers Landing. He's taken an interest in paddle power. He was telling me two bedroom homes are not too expensive in that area. I need to check it out...... :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas . Ha , Ha , Ha , Ha , Not Really. 8)

Yep the house is open , the fresh air is really nice , the sky was a beautiful blue with some white puffy clouds in it , the breeze was blowing , I am enjoying the back porch and a cold glass of ice tea while watching the ice cubs melt. Waiting for the steaks to get done on the grill so we can sit out here on the porch and have a delightful supper in this grand weather.

The grass is green and might need mowing but who cares I am going camping and will enjoy some of the southern snow , it is really nice when you are barefooted , feels so good on the feet.

Let's see....... my shorts and "T" Shirts are packed for the trip , whats next ??? ...... sleeping bag or just a blanket for in the hammock ..... Yep that is it .. a light weight blanket , really light weight one.

Sun glasses , sun block , swimming suit , towel ... forget that just drip dry while sitting in the chair and enjoying a cold one in the warm sunshine. Have to drink it fast before it heats up.:lol:

This Florida weather is the pit's , send us some of that SNOW .. We can use it in our coolers.

Chuck.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
:x May the fleas of a thousand sandy Southern Beaches infest the hairy regions of Chuckles and Frankes bodies! :evil: :twisted:

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Sorry Yaker, just couldn't resist

Sparkey, the water level was 2.40 ft at MacClenny. Plenty of water to paddle if you watched carefully for stumps. Only got out once to pull around a downed tree, but we did have to sneak under a few. I really like the upper section, we paddled 21 miles down to Tomkins Landing, camping two nights along the way.

Yaker, we are paying the price for all that bragging, going down to 30's at night and only getting in the 60's during the day. :twisted:

It was even to warm for Gator Dog to wear his Terrible Towel on the river. Need to make him one out of nylon as he wasn't in a good mood for much of the trip feeling naked and all! :lol:

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Franke...It's comforting to know that you and Chuck can paddle this time of year. :wink: I only regret I can't be there. :( Today I'm being sent to a garden spot of America this time of year.....Springfield, IL. 20's and snow.
Yep OZ...Coastal JoJa on my mind. :cry:

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
The real report

Last Friday I met up with 5 other friends and we proceeded to Folkston, Ga for a weekend on the St Marys River. The plan was to spend two nights and paddle 21 miles. We met at the outfitters just outside of town and shuttled our boats and equipment upriver. On the water about 3 pm, determined to leisurely paddle down stream until we found a good sandbar to spend the night.

This is the put in

IMG_3039.jpg

Just down from the put in we went under this train trestle.

IMG_3045.jpg

Friday night camp on a sandbar a mere 3 miles down stream.

IMG_3056.jpg

Saturday we paddled another 12 miles. Along the way we encountered lots of birds including Wood Ducks, Great Blues, Kingfishers, Woodpeckers, several Red Tailed Hawks, hundreds of crows high overhead, lots of Turkey Vultures, and a flock of Sandhill Cranes. That night we heard a chorus of Coyotes howling in the distance. What a treat....

IMG_3091.jpg

Saw this and had to take a picture, must have died and was trapped against this limb when the water was up. Strange sight......

IMG_3093.jpg

Gator dog on the river. Sunday we spied several deer trying to cross the river but they spooked back up the bank. A few hundreds yards futher down 4 deer swam in front of us across the river.

IMG_3104.jpg

This Great Blue perched above the river and didn't want to fly off until we got really close. Numerous turtles were sunning but dropped into the water while we were still quite a ways off. No gators sighted as it was very cool at night, great for fireside chats and unwinding before turning in.

IMG_3126.jpg

We finished trip around 3 pm and headed home, a great weekend on the water.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Real ce Franke....Enjoyed the report and pix. Didn't see Southern Gentleman Dave in any of the pix.

If any of y'all have time time paddle with this group......do it! What a fine bunch of folks....even Franke and Westbury! :wink:

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
From the 121/23 bridge to State road 2 is nice but the homes along parts of it take away from the wilderness.

My favorite area is from State Road 2 to Thompkins Landing , that stretch there is a sand bar at every bend and the river has a lot of bends in it.

The last time I was there the Coyotes were talking all night long along with the Owls chiming in. One of the guys told us that the yipping was when Mom would bring some supper back to her pups , they were sure well fed.

While easing along I managed to see several deer down at the river and when the rest of the crew came along they melted back into the woods , same thing with a flock of Wild Turkeys which flew across in front of us , what a time NOT to have a good scatter gun with me , one of them would of made a good supper for all of us and they were in range. :evil:

It is one good paddling and camping river and Steve at the Outpost is one great Guy , slightly nut's like us and a lot of fun.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
... While easing along I managed to see several deer down at the river and when the rest of the crew came along they melted back into the woods , same thing with a flock of Wild Turkeys which flew across in front of us, what a time NOT to have a good scatter gun with me...
This is a good point, Chuck. Has anyone any ideas about legality of hunting with crossbows? It seems to me they would be fairly easy to carry in a canoe, has the power to do the job, accuracy to hit the targets, and silence to not scare off other wildlife.

It seems to me that, where legal, they could be a nice addition. Thoughts?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Last year Florida created a hunting season for crossbows , here is part of the new rules for us.
Chuck.

Crossbow hunters and bowhunters will be happy to know the new crossbow season is just around the corner.

The new season, established for this year, provides additional opportunities for hunters wishing to use crossbows. It also lengthens the overall hunting season and extends the number of days conventional bowhunters can use their bows, since bows now are legal for taking game during all hunting seasons.

The added season is limited to private lands and restricts harvest to bucks only. Crossbow season does not apply to wildlife management areas.

The season is between the archery season and muzzleloading gun season in the South and Central hunting zones. Crossbow season lasts five days and runs Oct. 9-13 in the South Hunting Zone and Oct. 23-27 in the Central Zone.

In the Northwest Hunting Zone, the season runs one week: from the Monday following Thanksgiving (Nov. 27) through Dec. 3.

The most common game to take during crossbow season are deer, wild hogs and bearded turkeys.

Only bucks with at least one antler five inches or more in length can be taken, and the daily bag limit is two. Antlerless deer may be taken only by hunters holding antlerless deer permits.

On private lands, there are no bag or size limits on wild hogs and, with landowner permission, they can be taken year-round.

Only one turkey may be taken per day, and there is a two-bird fall-season limit. Turkeys may not be harvested in Holmes County during any fall season, including crossbow season.