Ole Sparkey's Brewery......Home Brew. | SouthernPaddler.com

Ole Sparkey's Brewery......Home Brew.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All this talk about food makes me thirsty and don't you know it Santa took care of that problem..... WELCOME , Ya All to Ole Sparkeys Brewery.

Yep Santa (the wife) set me up with a brewery, a Mr.Beer Brewing,Delux Set, ( http://www.mrbeer.com/index.html ) The recipes book included has more recipes in it then I could drink in a year .... So I will have to start brewing and see if it takes that long.

You might guess it but the one recipe that caught my eye is on page 29 and it is the Fire in the Hole Chili Beer. They have this to say ... Get out of the way and take cover when you serve this at your next Mexican Fiesta - its the hottest beer North or South of the border. Also good as a marinade for grilled shrimp or chicken. The brew definitely improves with time, lots of time.

1.Can Classic American Light (there beer mix)
3/4 Pouch Booster TM
6 Small Jalapeno Peppers , seeded and coarsely chopped (you provide)

There will be a HOT TIME in the ole town in about 14 days.

For you non beer drinkers they have a Mr.Rootbeer system for some home brew Rootbeer. I have made it before and it is GOOOOOOOOD. It sure beats any Rootbeer that you can buy today , already made. 1 batch makes two gallons.
Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
About 35 years ago I used to make home brew beer. When I started, I didn't know about such fineries as "brewer's yeast", so I used bread yeast. YUUCCHH!

But - it was 18% alcohol, so I didn;t care how bad the first one tasted. Alll the rest of'em were OK.

A chaplain who lived acrss the street would come over and "bless" the beer after it had brewed a few days, and then when it had been in the bottle doing secondary brewing (krausening) for three days. Don and I would get pretty blessed.

When the Civil Engineers would come over to do a work order (we lived in on-base housing at the time) my wife would give them each a bottle. I had to tell her to give it out AFTER the job was done - not before. QC suffered otherwise.

Chuck, I will give you some advice, from one brewer to another. When brewing beer, cleanliness transcends Godliness. You cannot be too sterile. In the hospital, poor hygiene may only cause fatalities. But HERE - it could ruin the beer. Keep your priorities in line, young feller.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack

Many years ago I would get the necessary ingredients and make it in a 5 gallon water jug. Man when it started working the yeast smell would make you think you were in a bread factory ... it smelled good.

After it set and was ready I would put it in old champagne bottles and cap it. For some reason those bottles kept showing up empty. :lol: That is the problem with beer that has not been filtered , chemically preserved or pasteurized .... just natural , besides the yeast residue in the bottom of the bottle is full of Vitamin B while the liquid portion of the beer is full of Vitamin P.

Then the girls wanted Root beer and I could not make enough to meet the demand. Each of the girls would drink a full champagne bottle a day, after school.

They were wondering why they were gaining weight. I did find that a 5 gallon batch of root beer is a lot better if you only use 4 gallons of water.

Now cleaning everything was a mess, back then, to say the lease, today they furnish a sanitize pack to sanitize all of the equipment. Progress is nice, just like home brew. Ole John Depa could do this and throw away that Black label Beer he drinks and have something really good and all natural.

Just do me a favor and don't tell the Fed's where I live, last thing I need is getting busted for moon shinning, or would that be beer shinning. :roll: ( Yep ...I know it is legal to make beer , sort of takes out a little of the fun) I wounder if a person could make some Grit beer. Naw ....Nut's ....Grits is corn so it would have to Grit Bourbon , bet it would replace Scotch ...... for those sophisticated folks that are scotch drinkers. :?
Chuck.

Jean

Chuck, here are a couple of recipes I had in my file

Chuck, I had these in my recipe files. Needless to say, I have all types of recipes, so after you get tired of all those other recipes in your book, let me know and I will send more. Being Scottish, I made a file of quite a few Scottish ale recipes.

Sam use to make a pretty good pale ale 20 years ago.

Enjoy your Santa present!

Jean

Diversey Lager
This beer won first place for Continental Dark in the 1990 National Homebrew Competition. Saaz hops and proper lager fermentation are the keys to success with this brew.
O.G. 1.054
F.G. 1.024

Ingredients

6 lbs Yellow Dog malt extract (You can substitute another brand of extract that contains at least 40 percent wheat)
1.5 lbs Munich malt
0.125 lbs Black patent malt
2 oz. Malto-dextrin

3 oz Saaz Hops Pellets* (4.4% alpha acid) - boiled 60 minutes
1 oz Saaz Hops Pellets - boiled 45 minutes
1 oz Saaz Hops Pellets - boiled 15 minutes
.25 oz Saaz Hops Pellets - boiled 2 minutes

1 pkg Wyeast 2042 Danish lager yeast

Note: Saaz hops have had very low alpha acid levels lately. If they are below 4.0 when you go to purchase your ingredients, you might substitute a different hop just for the first hop addition of 3 oz. I would recommend any of the following that has an alpha acid level between 4.2% and 4.6%: Hallertau, Hersbruck, Spalt, Liberty, Crystal or Mt. Hood.
Procedure

Use a grain bag or strainer for the grains. Add the grain to 2 to 3 gallons of cold water and heat until the water boils, stirring occasionally. Remove grains when water begins to boil.

Add extract and stir until dissolved. Bring boil for one hour making the hop additions as noted above.

One package of Wyeast is not enough to properly ferment 5 gallons of wort without making a yeast starter. Thus, when I fermented this, it spent the first two days at 60-65 deg F. When fermentation began in earnest, it was moved to an area where the temperature was closer to 50 deg F. Lagered at about 32 deg F (in my garage) for about 5 weeks. If an adequate amount of yeast is used, fermentation can begin at 50 deg F immediately.

An Old-Fashioned Mead

PERIOD: Modern | SOURCE: Contemporary Recipe | CLASS: Not Authentic

DESCRIPTION: A traditional mead recipe from Russia

* 18 liters water
* 8 kg. honey
* 1 package champagne yeast
* 1/2 cup ale or beer
* crust of one roll
* 1 tsp. hops
* 4 gr. cardamom
* 1 1/2 gr. cloves

Mix water & honey; boil on low heat until reduced to 9 liters. Remove
from burner and cool. Completely dissolve the yeast in the ale or
beer. Remove the crust from the roll, soak in the beer yeast and put
into mead. Add hops. Remove roll 1 hour after fermentation begins.
Strain mead and pour into a keg. Add the spices wrapped in
cheesecloth. Seal keg well and store in cold place (on ice or vault)
for 12 days. Bottle, seal, tar (gum or wax) and store in cold place.

Ready to serve in 2 months.

Jean

Swampy, too old to drink!

Swampy,

Me too!!
:mrgreen: This is what I look like when I drink, and this is usually what I feel like after :oops: so I don't, except for
Coke-a-cola- the Southern Cure all. Great for just about anything including grunge on the windshield of the car, meat tenderizer, etc. Probably why I'm an old softy, been marinating in coke for many, many years!

Calamity Jean

( Jean ... Coke will even eat love bugs off your car if you have any of them up there. Every trip I go on there is a bottle of Coke in the cup holder , no that Coke is for me... Chuck.)

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
The old house has been to cold so I am waiting for warmer weather , the brew has to kept at about 75 to 80 degrees while it cooks. besides there is no place to set it up in here so I was thinking about using my workshop which is not heated except in the summer time and cooled in the winter.

YES ...... That is it, a boat building, beer making place to hang out in. A beer & wood smelling, sawdust, epoxy flavored shop. It will be the most popular place out here.

I can put a sign up on the front ...... The Pirogue , Swamp Girl & Swamp Water Shop. :lol: :lol:
Kahuna ... glad you thought of that........By the way I have never meet a bad beer.
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Well....

Okay, Where's my beer :?: :( KAHUNA :wink:
oldsparkey said:
The old house has been to cold so I am waiting for warmer weather , the brew has to kept at about 75 to 80 degrees while it cooks. besides there is no place to set it up in here so I was thinking about using my workshop which is not heated except in the summer time and cooled in the winter.

YES ...... That is it, a boat building, beer making place to hang out in. A beer & wood smelling, sawdust, epoxy flavored shop. It will be the most popular place out here.

I can put a sign up on the front ...... The Pirogue , Swamp Girl & Swamp Water Shop. :lol: :lol:
Kahuna ... glad you thought of that........By the way I have never meet a bad beer.
Chuck.

Kahuna

Aug 27, 2003
DEEP SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
Chuck, How did your brew turn out?? A local store has the MrBrew for 24.95...do you like it?? I am thinking of getting one. Kahuna

oldsparkey said:
All this talk about food makes me thirsty and don't you know it Santa took care of that problem..... WELCOME , Ya All to Ole Sparkeys Brewery.

Yep Santa (the wife) set me up with a brewery, a Mr.Beer Brewing,Delux Set, ( http://www.mrbeer.com/index.html ) The recipes book included has more recipes in it then I could drink in a year .... So I will have to start brewing and see if it takes that long.
For you non beer drinkers they have a Mr.Rootbeer system for some home brew Rootbeer. I have made it before and it is GOOOOOOOOD. It sure beats any Rootbeer that you can buy today , already made. 1 batch makes two gallons.
Chuck.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I hate to say this ..... but ........Haven't used it as of yet..... to busy making Moonshine Wine. :D

Even was entertaining the idea of using the keg for the beer making to make the wine in. The thought is that it would be a lot easier to use for the process and for filtering the wine since the dregs would be settled beneath the outlet when bottling the wine.

Chuck.

Aardvark

Simple way of getting the "Good Stuff" of the dregs on the bottom of the fermeting jug; siphon!

Just like an "Okie Credit Card" 'sept it tastes a lot better than gas!

You may lose a bit, but I look at it as a gift to the beer gods!