On the drawing board | SouthernPaddler.com

On the drawing board

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
My next project is designed using KayakFoundry software..pretty fun stuff....
murrelet.jpg

The inspiration...

m1planview.jpg

miview.jpg

formsm1.jpg

stabilitym1.jpg

dragfactorsm1.jpg

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
The forms printed out have the water line and the sheer....
This is going to be a double chine hull...SOF....If it were plywood S&G it would have 6 panels for the hull...
Using a wood strip to lay out where the stringers look good and fair..

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Bee.... the program is free....It took me some time to get the hang off it....It has a lot of good people on the forum..I think it's the easiest of all the boat designing software...What is nice is the program has a kayak already drawn out that you modify-shape into what you want....On the forum people post their design..which you can download and modify their plan etc....

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
Well back at it....

The jig for cutting the stringers is lined up on one side of the centerline with a pc. of 1/4'' to rest the saw against. The bow and stern stems are 1/2'' baltic birch along with the one half frame...the rest of the frame are 3/8'' baltic birch....Stringers are cedar..same construction method as in Jeff Horton's book..

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
So you have basicaly the frames cut out but without the indents for the stringers pre cut? then you run a batten for fairness and take the stringer pionts from there with mirror image for other side?.

Do you then cut the notches for the stringers slightly less than the depth of the tringers and plane/sand for smooth transition.

I'm on severely limited physical activity for some while but want to try the SOF when I'm able.

MM

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
I notch out the frames so the stringers plane off with the outside line on the frame....Then you cut back a relief from the frame so when the fabric bows in from water pressure etc. it dosen't touch the frame....the stringers are all 5/8'' wide and some are 1 1/2'' (sheer) and 1'' (keel and first chine and deck stringers) and 5/8'' ( the second chine)...
Any one serious about building one with this type construction..check out..
http://www.kudzucraft.com/books/

bcwetcoast

Feb 11, 2012
I played around with Kayak Foundry and it was fun. Now that I have a design that I think would work, is there a program that would allow the creation of S&G panel plans? I tried using FreeShip, but I didn't have the time or patience (or perhaps adult ADHD) to figure it out.

I would like to try making a model of my design to see what it would look like. Given I still have a 3/4 completed Point Bennett in my garage, I won't be able to build it anytime soon.

makenmend

Aug 26, 2009
Longview East TX
woodman thanks, have been looking on the kudzu forum for a little while and will be reading up on that info.
will be a happy camper when I can start up again, all in good time.

MM

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
bcwetcoast said:
I played around with Kayak Foundry and it was fun. Now that I have a design that I think would work, is there a program that would allow the creation of S&G panel plans? I tried using FreeShip, but I didn't have the time or patience (or perhaps adult ADHD) to figure it out.

I would like to try making a model of my design to see what it would look like. Given I still have a 3/4 completed Point Bennett in my garage, I won't be able to build it anytime soon.

I posted a point bennett on their forum...by working with the diminsions given on Duane Strosaker site.....
......As far a S&G I had to lay the stringers out on the forms like doing a skin boat then using cardboard tracing off the panels that way....I was thinking about tracing off patterns from this build....

I did a kids kayak that way..here
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=182937

woodman

Oct 31, 2010
Bates city Mo.
More progress pics......I could go into to detail on the frame mods to align the 2 front outside deck stringers...getting them to blend into or "fair in boat trem." the coaming....I had to whittle the slot closser to the center deck stringer.......That and shiming up the center deck stringer here and their to.... "be more pleasing to the eye" which is fair :lol: .....

Jim came over Mon. to help do some lashing....He is the one that we built his TV 15 X 32 earlier this year
http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/view ... f=8&t=3769
By the way....Is this # 6.7.or 8. boats I have built this year? Uh..let me go get another beer and think about that....

Any how.....to break the "SPAM" ho. hums......... more.......
pics.....

(Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.) What??? :x
I switched to Flickr on this build..so go here for up dates....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mo_kayaks/