onlay designs question | SouthernPaddler.com

onlay designs question

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

Whilst still a little way off (OK, a long way, I haven't even bought the wood yet, but I do have the plans and a space!), I wanted to put a design / name on my kayak when done.

I read here (I think, but couldn't find the thread) about using rice paper (again, I think) for printing the design on, as it pretty much disappears under the epoxy/glass.

So two questions...one, is it rice paper? And two, can I print on it from an inkjet printer? Or should I be using something else (eg just light paper, and cut out very carefully?).

Any replies greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Darren
Melbourne, Australia

dangermouse01

Sep 8, 2006
Palm Bay, FL (East coast)
I use Heavy Silky Paper (synthetic rice paper), it is the same stuff used for the artwork on surfboards. I found one art supply store in my area that carries it, or you can get it on-line at http://www.mindspring.com/~dba-interwest/www/web10.htm
Get the heavy stuff.
I airbrushed this one on the HSP and laminated it under the fiberglass cloth.
th11252006kayakpaint.jpg

I have also had success with running it thru a computer printer. The stuff is kinda wispy so it may need to taped down to a regular sheet of paper so that it doesn't get jammed in the printer. Havent been happy with anything with colors yet, from the printer. They seem to just be kinda dull (could be the tint of the epoxy), but I havent messed around with colors all that much yet

What ever you use do a small trial piece first.

DM

DJR

Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Jimmy, I've joined the JEM forums, just waiting for activation and I'll check out the thread.

DM, that's a great design! Not sure about colour or B&W myself, but yours looks great on the wood.

Will get some vellum, silk paper, etc and do some trials.

Regards,
Darren