Our Latest Outback Trip | SouthernPaddler.com

Our Latest Outback Trip

hairymick01

G'day guys. It's been a while coming. I am still coming to terms with using a tablet.

Evie and I are about 6 weeks into our winter outback trip and are slowly making our way home now. We haven't had internet service for much of the trip but I will try to catch up with a blog and piccies over the next few days or so.

We left home late in June and after a few days in Gympie with Evie's parents, we headed off. Had lunch of fish and chips in the old Kilkivan Railway station (no longer in use)

66201619241.jpg

Well that seemed to work OK. Will plod on.

hairymick01

We continued on through little towns like Goomerri, Murgon,Wandai and Tingoora which are all in the South Burnet valley, famous wine and crop farming areas. Beautiful countryside, and set up camp for the night at the Stuart River roadside rest area. There are thousands of free overnight camping or reast areas for self contained RVs here .

68201610540.jpg

We are trying to use them all :D

hairymick01

Thanks Bob. This is a bloody drawn out process on a tablet.

Next stop was Bakers Crossing, a camp on the banks of the Condamine River about 15 miles from Chinchilla.

742016134526.jpg

Our camsite
742016134627_1.jpg

Chinchilla is the at the northern edge of our Darling Downs, prime agricultural land that is being broad acre farmed for grain crops like wheat and corn and also vast areas of cotton. Sadly, fracking for coal seam gas has entered the area and we fear for the future of the farms.

hairymick01

Thanks Jack. We had a little drama early this morning.. Evie's woke me about 0400 with her blood pressure through the roof, 212/105 and we had to drive 70 miles to the nearest hospital. Never fun to travel on outback roads at night. Bloody kangaroos always a threat and make it very dangerous.

By the time we got her in there, her BP had reduced a lot and they changed her meds a bit. We came back to the camp and slept the rest of the day. We are just about packed now and will head off in the morning to get a bit closer to civilization.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
OUCH! Best to take care of each other. Your kangaroos are similar to our deer. Nothing in their evolution prepared them for cars. When a car is approaching a deer in the road, they stare at the oncoming car. Usually, they don't even register recognition of danger until the car has slowed to about 30mph. Only then do they start evasive action.