Paddle Boat Registration | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddle Boat Registration

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Apparently the Louisiana legislation figured out they are losing a large revenue from all the non motorized boats in the state. Surprising they are not using the argument that the registration would help to locate stolen or lost boats.
Here in Florida............." In Florida, you must have a Florida Certificate of Registration and validation decal to operate a vessel legally on public waters in Florida. The only exceptions are: Non-motorized vessels less than 16 feet in length. Non-motorized canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls of any length."

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
They may say they are "loosing" money by not registering paddle boats but the truth is one can not "loose" what you never had. They do see the opportunity to tax more. Another layer of bureaucracy that will be worse than the expense. If boaters stand back it will happen.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I was being nice by saying "Loosing " , really meant " Greedy ".

Florida wanted to do the same and the paddlers fought it with email , letters and phone calls to the legislators. A good source are the Canoe livery's ( outposts , rentals ) manufactures , sales areas and paddling associations ( clubs ).
One reason ours is still......The only exceptions are:
1..Non-motorized vessels less than 16 feet in length.
2..Non-motorized canoes, kayaks, racing shells, or rowing sculls of any length.
"

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Jack.....
Down here some guy's use inner tubes for float fishing. I had one ask me about putting a small electric motor on his. I'm sure he was joking.
Believer it or not , it would have to be registered since it would have a mechanical propulsion unit ( motor ) on it.

I had a Mohawk Canoe ( Guide model ) at 15 feet , used a trolling motor on it and it had to be registered , licensed and renewed every year. As long as I planned on using the trolling motor on it.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
When I bought my first canoe, and brought it home, I told my wife, “I named the canoe after you.”
She was all excited, and ran out doors to see it. Surely enough, stenciled there on the boat was “AFTER YOU”.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I hadn’t heard the background. Thanks for the fill in.

It was mentioned in there to tip your server. I’m pretty conscious of tipping. It has to be pretty bad before I fail to tip. My standard tip is 20%. A friend once told me something her Dad used to say.
“I tip heavy when I receive good service. It won’t make me poor, or him/her rich. But it can help them feel better/happy.”

Experience shows me the wisdom of it. On returning to a restaurant, I get stellar service.

grandpa paddler

May 25, 2005
WNY-land of exhorbitant taxes
I go to the same restaurant for breakfast every Tues and usually have the same server. Typically she gets 30% tip. Service is fantastic, rarely do I see the bottom of my coffee cup:cool:

(somehow this got sidetracked from paddle boat registration)