paddle boat? | SouthernPaddler.com

paddle boat?

olduckhunter

Aug 26, 2010
this is my first post and this is the closest place i've found to post this. i'm an old old duckhunter and have hunted out of and used what we, in the bootheel of missouri, called paddle boats. if some of you are from that area then you may know what kind of boat i'm talking about. way back then a paddle boat was the only thing some of the duck hunters had to get to their hunting places. i knew two men back then that built them and they were brothers. i had each to make me one. cypress was the lumber used. i've always wanted to try my hand at building one but i could never build a square duck blind much less a paddle boat that one of the brothers said every board is cut on an angle. and it is. we had old houses and barns on the farms there that over the years i've torn some down and saved some of the lumber. i still have several cypress boards i "put back" for the day when i might build a paddle boat. these boards run from 14 to 16 ft long and some are 24 inches wide. the old houses were built in the early 1900's or eariler so the boards are out of first or old growth cypress that came off the st. francis river there. i'm amazed at the boat builders here because building a paddle boat has become a lost art where i lived. i've got the boats to go by and may still try my hand at one. for those that have never seen one they are similar to a pirogue except they have square front and backs and about a 6 ft flat in the center and rake up from there to each end. one of mine has about 8 inch side boards and the other about 10 inch side boards. have any of you made paddle boats like i described?

old

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Welcome :)

Search seedtick, Keith, and pereaux posts for info about building with planks.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Are you asking about one similar to this or even like this........ Ozark Float Boat.

P1000667.jpg

P1000668.jpg

Here is the post on it , lots of information and pictures.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7485

Chuck.

olduckhunter

Aug 26, 2010
old spark, no self-respecting duck would get close to a boat that nice. it was more like nockatees boat.

i looked at his deal and yes, some of the old boat builders way back then built out of plywood but they didn't hold up as good under the punishment of every day old time duck hunting like the ones out of cypress did. i did at one time own one of the plywood boats an old builder made. it was lighter than the cypress boats. i've got to get my nerve up to try to build one.

old

after reading about nock's boat and seeing pictures from all different angles the old paddle boats like mine are more narrow in the middle and much more so on each end. one of mine is 22 inch bottom at the center and down to 17 or so on each end. the other one made by the other brother is 24 inches in the center and down to about 20 on each end and we "ran" them from about 2/3rds back either standing or kneeling and being more narrow they paddled easy. a good paddler only paddled from one side. i wish i could put up pictures but can't.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I don't see the pictures any more, but Pereaux's "Swamp Pirogue" was like this, if I remember correctly. I misspelled his name when I posted befor. It was made out of planks.

beekeeper