Paddling Canada by John depa ..Day 26 & 27 | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling Canada by John depa ..Day 26 & 27

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Day 26: Friday 10-3

Glad I hung the tarp, because it rained again last night. Woke before daybreak, but did not launch until 9 AM. Cold, raw, windy morning, so I made a fire for warmth and cooking. Thermometer reads 40 degrees, but feels a lot colder.

Paddled the last 2 miles of Sarah, to the portage (112R) into Side Lake. Nothing like a 112R portage to warm you up in the morning. Side is a small lake (only about 1 mile) and there are 3 different ways to exit. My eventual destination is Nest Lake: The option I chose involved 4 portages (94-30-24-44R) into Point Lake, then a short paddle down that one to the portage (165R) into Nest. None of the portages were particularly difficult, but the total of 519 rods took it's toll on my body. After all, that is about 1.75 miles that you must walk 3 times, twice under "load". By the end of the last portage, I was beginning to stumble, a bit, from being leg weary. Found an "uncharted" campsite near the head of Nest Lake and "called it a day" at 4 PM. I will sleep well tonight!!

Saw moose tracks, and droppings on one portage, but no moose.
Saw bear tracks on another portage, but no bear.
Trolled fishing lines through 3 lakes, but no fish.

At least I got all of these portages out of the way. Should be a lot easier going tomorrow.

Day 27: Saturday 10-4

Woke at 7:30 AM to calm winds and partly cloudy sky. Got a fire going and decided that I really need to change my clothes. With all of this rain, I have not been able to dry the things I wash. The only clean, dry clothes are my "emergency" set, stored at the bottom of the pack. Plan was to change into them, and still have the dirty clothes as a back-up, in case of a capsize. Dumped the pack and, to my surprise, they (and my towel) were soaking wet. With all of this rain and snow, water had entered through that (*&^%$*) mouse hole that I am unable to patch. Everything was "double bagged" in plastic, but so much water had entered that it eventually seeped through.

Note: It's probably illegal, but I think I might bring a few Victor mouse traps with me next year. I met one camper who said he caught 25 at one site, over a 3 day period. He put them on a rock and the eagles would feed on them.

This situation (wet towel and clothes) is totally unacceptable, and I refuse to travel until it is rectified. I feel it is essential to carry a spare set of dry clothes. At this temperature, you would only have a matter of minutes to get into something dry, before hypothermia sets in. So, I built up the fire, hung a clothes line above it, and spent 2 hours waiting for everything to dry out. Fortunately, the sun broke through to sped up the process. When the clean clothes were almost dry, I changed into them and completed the drying process while wearing them. "Triple bagged" the dirty clothes, and placed some other items at the very bottom of the Boundary pack, so the clothes would not be in direct contact with the bottom. Since I had such a nice bed of coals, I made a batch of Hungry Jack pancakes. Did not launch until 11 AM.

Maybe it wasn't so bad that I got such a late start, the day turned out to be sunny, and I had a nice breeze at my back most of the time. Trip went as follows:

!/2 mile across Nest Lake; Portage (10R), short paddle, Portage (18R) into North Bay: 3 miles across North Bay, Portage (30R) into narrow lake: 1/2 mile paddle, portage (16R) into Burke Lake: 2 mile paddle, portage (84R) into Bayley Bay: Paddle 3.5 miles to Canadian Customs, portage (30R) into Birch Lake: Camp 1/2 mile down Birch Lake. Total: 10 miles paddling; 190 Rods portage.

Two of the lakes that I crossed are wide, and exposed to the wind: I was fortunate that it was such a calm day. None of the portages were really that difficult. In fact, the 84R one was the easiest I have done. It had a sandy beach landing at both ends, and was like a "yuppie" trail through a County Park. I could potage 1,000 rods a day if they were all like that one. I even put some of the sand into a Zip-Loc bag to clean my pot, tonight.

Note: One of the items I neglected to bring was something to scour the pot. I normally just use sand (Nature's Brillo pad) but sand is very scarce up here. Since my return, I have cut a piece of (?) green scouring pad to fit into the bottom of the pot.

Since it was such an easy paddle, I trolled fishing lines most of the day. Caught a beautiful 25" lake trout on Burke Lake. It was much too large for me to eat, so I released it. That was the nicest fish I caught on the trip (well, maybe the 26" walleye was?) On Bayley Bay, I caught a 16" bass and kept that for dinner.

Note: I only brought one "disposable" camera on this trip, I should have brought two. My reasoning was; I already have two rolls of film from my last trip up here, how different can it be? Plus, when paddling solo "you" (me) are never in the picture. Sure would be nice to have a picture of that last trout! Guess I'll just have to come back next year and catch him again!

Between Bayley Bay, and Inlet Bay, you go through a narrow cut (maybe 30 yards wide) with Canada on your left, and the USA on your right. Rounded that point and got a real shocker, MOTOR BOATS!! They are not permitted on the Canadian side (Quetico), but are on the USA side (BWCA). I had not heard a motor boat for 26 days: Welcome back to America, John!! During the next hour, I had 7-8 boats go by. Some were shuttling canoes, some fishing, and one was loaded with duck decoys. I stayed close to the Canadian side to minimize their wake.

Last portage takes you past Canadian Customs, but the office was closed for the season. Lake is very narrow here (only 50-60 yards) and divided by a set of water falls on the USA side, with a public boat ramp on each side of the falls. This being a Saturday, there were quite a few vehicles parked at both. Portage takes you into Birch Lake, which is narrow at this point, and dotted with small islands. Stopped on an island to fillet the bass for dinner. Had not traveled 50 yards and a bald eagle claimed the fish carcass.

Map indicates 13 campsites on the BWCA side, and 3 on the Quetico side. I do not have a BWCA permit, or a Minnesota fishing license, so I camped on the Quetico side. Nice site with a flat grassy area for the tent and a huge pile of tree branches that had been cut with a chain saw: Plenty of firewood. The islands located on the border have signs posted, "NO MOTORS BEYOND THIS POINT". There was an outboard motor sitting on one such island. I guess the guy powered over to it, took off the motor and rowed into the Canadian side to fish. Just before dark, 3 power boats, each carrying a canoe, landed on a nearby island. They secured the power boats, unloaded the canoe's / camping gear and paddled into Quetico for the night.

Note: I do not want to give the impression that power boats are permitted everywhere in the BWCA; only in certain limited sections. This just happens to be one such area.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Re: Paddlinf Canada by John depa ..Day 26

oldsparkey said:
(SNIP) Saw moose tracks, and droppings on one portage, but no moose.
Saw bear tracks on another portage, but no bear. (SNIP)
I have recipes for track soup. Also have one for "droppings" or "scat" soufflé. Chuckie's special - these make even gritz taste good.

andrewp

Aug 27, 2003
Orlando, FL
Heard a good hunting joke to pull on your friends .....

Take a bunch of raisons and have them ready in your pocket. While no one is looking, dump them in a scattered fashion. Call out to your friends "Hey, I found some scat!" When they hurry over to look, lean down, and pop some "scat" into your mouth and chew thoughtfully. "Must have passed this way heading east about 45 minutes ago". Stoop and pop some more "scat". Then say "Think it was a three --- no, four pointer."

Your friends will be amazed ........

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Andrew

I just don't know how to say this ..............or tell you. :oops:

That is one of the things I have been telling the Scout leaders to pull on there scouts when out camping over the last 5 years while teaching my class at the Central Florida University of Scouting about Camping, Hiking, Boat Building and the rest of the Outdoor Fun that is available here in Florida for us.

You should have known it took an (almost) sick mind to dream that one up, which surprises me that you never thought about me, especially since you know me. :roll:

By the way the raisins have to be the chocolate covered ones, for the proper or deer pooped effect. :wink: Plus they taste better.
Chuck.