Paddling Canada by John Depa ...day #4 & 5 | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling Canada by John Depa ...day #4 & 5

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guys ..as you know I am posting these for John and I will do two days per entry , as John sends them to me. Chuck.

Day 4 Thursday 9-11:
Woke at 7 AM and wrote this date in my log. Remembered 2 years ago when I was ready to launch into the BWCA for a 9 day trip on this very date. On the way into Ely, MN to get my permit, I heard the horrible news on the car radio. Needless to say, I postponed the launch. Spent the day at a local gin mill, watching the news. I know that "to forgive is Devine" but I guess I will never be Devine. I'll forgive those SOB's when the Jews forgive Hitler and the (we) Viet Nam vets forgive "Hanoi Jane" Fonda. Maybe I'm just a little bit redneck, even though I'm from NJ?

Went through my usual morning routine and decided it is time to make a move. The distance from the ranger station, to Atakokin, is 55 miles, and I have only traveled 10, in 3 days. Launched by 9 AM and paddled/trolled the 2 miles to the first portage (32R), around Little Falls. Made my first carry and took a tea/fishing break. Caught 3 bass on the first 3 casts and, over the next 20 minutes, caught a total of 15 bass (5 of which were over 15") and one walleye (22"). Fish were caught 50-50 on a jig with a 4" Mister Twister and a 3" Rapala Rattle Trap. Talk about your "hot spot"!
It is only a 100 YD paddle to the next portage, around Koko Falls. This one was listed at 56R - BS!! It was at least 130R! I had to rest midway on the first carry. Fished below those falls for a few minutes but only caught 5-6 "dink" bass. On the walk back to get the canoe, I ran into my buddies from St. Paul. They were making a day-trip to fish below Kennebas Falls, which we were told was excellent fishing. Now, they were traveling light, but still had to do 4 portages, each way, just to fish for a few hours. God bless them! I asked them if they fished below Little Falls, where I had done so well, and they only caught 4 "dinks". Guess I cleaned out the hole before they arrived?
Short paddle to the next portage (48R) around Canyon Falls. Fished below these falls but only caught on nice bass (17") and a few "dinks". So, in the last 4 hours I had covered a total distance of about 1 mile, most of that on portages. Canyon Falls empties into Kenny Lake, which is only a mile long. I purposely took my time fishing the lake so the guys from St. Paul could get ahead of me and have first crack at the fishing below Kennabas Falls. I felt that was the "just" thing to do since they were carrying all that way, and that I had fished the other falls ahead of them (am I a nice guy, or what?). Portaged around Kennebas Falls (only 4R) and found my buddies fishing there. They had already caught 12-15 bass and 1 walleye. The area was "tight" so I did not even fish, just watched them. One guy caught an 18" bass and asked me to take a picture of him, since it was his "personal best". He earned it!! I gave him my email address and will send him a copy if he ever contacts me. I also had them take a few pictures of me, below the falls, since I never get to be in any of the photo's. (note: I had the film developed and have decided that I need a better camera).

Kennebas Falls is the lower end of Kawnipi Lake, which is a big one, about 16 miles long and varying in width from 100 YDS to 1.5 miles. This is the end destination for many 6-7 day paddlers; They portage up to the lake, fish 3-4 days and then return via the same route. The reason they do so is because the lake is famous for fishing, especially walleyes. While resting at the end of the portage, a group of paddlers pulled in and we had a little conversation. They were returning from 3 days of fishing on Kawnipi and said they had done very well on walleye. Told me they were using salted (dehydrated) minnows for bait and even circled the "hot spots" on my map: They also gave me a full Zip-Loc bag full of the minnows. Paddlers are nice people!!

The campsite they had circled on my map was about 8 miles up the lake, so I began to paddle/troll in that direction. Had a nice southerly breeze at my back so it was no effort at all. About 2 miles before reaching that destination I spotted a campsite and stopped for a break. Sky was getting dark and the wind became dead calm. Then the wind shifted out of the north and I knew I was in for a storm. Quickly set up the tent and just finished before "all hell broke loose". I watched the rain cross the lake and jumped into the tent just in time: Didn't even have time to hang the tarp. Spent the rest of the night listening to the downpour. Dinner was 1/2 pound of trail mix, supplemented with my ration of cocktails. I still love Quetico.

Day 5: Friday, 9-12

Woke at 8 AM and it was still raining, lightly. Since I didn't have time to hang my tarp, the inside of the tent, Eureka Backpacker, had a LOT of water between the ground-cover and the tent floor.

There seems to be a controversy over whether to put the ground cover outside, or inside, of the tent. I use "the best of both worlds" technique and do both. The one I cut for the inside of the tent is made from a thick, clear plastic and is cut 1 foot larger then the tent floor, which is 5' X 7' ; That way it laps up (6") each inside wall, so any water that seeps through the floor is trapped between the floor and the plastic. Keeps all of my gear, especially sleeping bag, dry. One drawback is that the plastic is slippery and my Therma-Rest mattress slides around. This system works, but I really would like to purchase a tent that does not leak/seep water, or find a plastic that is not as slippery. Any suggestions?

Rain stopped by 9 AM so I made a fire: Was not easy with soaking wet firewood, but I always carry a few pieces of dry birch bark, and located a downed tree to cut some larger pieces. The previous campers had left a small supply of kindling (which is traditional up here) so I had a small fire going in about 15 minutes. Just had to keep putting the next set sticks on the rocks, above the fire, so they would dry out. That fire sure felt good, and the hot tea was even better. I was tempted to add a "splash of rum" but I had made myself a rule while paddling solo up here, "No drinking before the canoe is beached is made for the night". After all, one FLIP (of the canoe) or SLIP (on a portage) could very likely cost you your life.

Since everything was soaking wet, I decided to stay here another day and treated myself to a large breakfast of Panni, potato pancakes. They really hit the spot, and I will include them on subsequent trips.

Note: Chuck had shown me (when we were in the Okefenokee) how to pre-measure mixes in a Zip-Loc bag: Just add water and mix right in the bag. I use a Magic Marker to label the bag with it's contents and the amount of water to be added. Once mixed, you just cut a hole in one corner of the bag and squeeze the desired amount of batter into a hot frying pan. No muss, no fuss, no dirty pots to clean! Just wipe the frying pan clean, lick the fork clean and burn the bag.

While cooking breakfast, two tandem canoes paddled to within 30 yards of my campsite and started fishing. They were close enough for us to converse. Using a portable depth-finder, they had located a shoal about 20' deep that held walleyes. The waters beyond the shoal were 90' - 100' deep. I watched them for over an hour and they only caught 2 small walleye. The sun was bright by noon, so I paddled/trolled the 2 miles up to the area that I had been told was a "hot spot", by the guys I had met previously. Only caught a few "dinks" on the troll, but did get some quality bass (over 17") and one 22" walleye where they told me to fish. Filleted the walleye for dinner.

Note: This is the way I save fish for dinner. Since you cannot put them on a stringer while paddling, I fillet them soon after catching. I carry a fillet knife and Zip-Loc bag in my tackle box (fanny bag). It is a NO-NO to clean fish near camp because it would attract bears, so you should clean them on an exposed (island) rock and leave the carcass for gulls, or bald eagles. After the fillets are rinsed, I put them in the bag, wrap them in a wet towel and place under the canoe seat, out of the sun. Once back at camp, I place the bag under water and hold it down with a small rock until I am ready to cook.

Fished the shoreline back to camp and caught a few more bass and one small (27") pike. Returned with ample time to gather more firewood and enjoy a few cocktails before dinner. Fried the walleye fillets and supplemented the meal with a bag of Lipton's Side Dish buttered rice. Day got off on a soggy note, by ended on a high one. I love Quetico!

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John

How many times do I have to tell you ....... Fer a dry camp ....Use the hammock and have the tarp, just like ya did at Buck Lake fer the storm of the century when I was with you.

Man "O" man some folks just take a lot of learning...... :roll:
Chuck.

caddepa

Aug 27, 2003
New Jersey
oldsparkey said:
John

How many times do I have to tell you ....... Fer a dry camp ....Use the hammock and have the tarp, just like ya did at Buck Lake fer the storm of the century when I was with you.

Man "O" man some folks just take a lot of learning...... :roll:
Chuck.

Chuck, I LOVE my hammock, but it would not have served me well on this trip. We are only up to day 5-6. Try cooking a meal (which will come later), during a snow storm, in a hammock! Even if that did not happen, which it did, how does one have evening cocktails and a cigarette in a hammock?

Don't get me wrong, Chuck, I consider the Hennesy Hammock an essential part of my camping gear; just not for this trip. Hey, Texaslady and I both tried it while camping on Caddo Lake, TX, (on different nights) and we both got "out" and went back to our tents. In my humble opinion, that hammock is more suitable for southern climates. But' I will sya this: It is a lot more comfortable than sleeping in a tent (even with my bad back), and, given a choice (for comfort), I would take the hammock every time

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
John

I just have to pick on ya because no one else will......( It has only snowed down here three times and all of us had good sense and were inside) Anyway most folks ....I was on patrol and had to be out in it. Crackers just do not know how to drive in the snow, wrecks everywhere. :oops:

Chuck.