Paddling Canada by John Depa ...Day #6 & 7 | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling Canada by John Depa ...Day #6 & 7

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Day 6: Saturday 9-13
I have plenty of firewood, perfect campsite and am located on one of the most famous fishing lakes in Quetico. Am I going to pull up stakes and move on? Hell no!! I want to give these salted minnows a try, fish the shoal in front of my campsite and return to the "hot spot" only 2 miles up the lake. (again, this is one of the reasons I paddle solo - NO SCHEDULE!).

Sky is "changing" several times a day, so I have decided to hang my tarp. The one I use is made by WWW.Cookesewing.com and measures 10' X12'. I first learned of it through kayakjack, AKA, Jack Voss. He extolled the virtues of this tarp, but when I went to the website I got "sticker shock". Up until then, I simply used a WallMart version that cost $5.95. I didn't buy the Cooke tarp that year, but after getting wet a few times that Winter, in Florida, I decided to take the plunge. Don't remember the exact cost (about $100, as memory serves) but it is worth every penny! It is made of rip-stop nylon, which is half the weight of the "cheapies", a VERY important consideration if you are portaging. Outside edges are bound with nylon webbing and each side has 7 sewn-in (not grommets) nylon loops. In addition, there are 5 loops across the top, bisecting the opposite sides. Also has a re-enforced loop in the center to be used as a "hanger". Center on the underside has 4 loops, about 4" apart to be used for tying a center pole. Each corner has a "pocket" that can be used to hold it down with a rock.

Suggestion: I have affixed two 50' lines (3/16 DIA) to the long (12') side of the tarp. Stretched the tarp taught, leaving some slack, and tied knots (running bowline) at the end loops, with equal line extending from either side. This really facilitates set-up time. I have been able to use this initial tie 99% of the time.

Note: While camping on Caddo Lake, TX with Texaslady, AKA, Jill, I found a nice 3" diameter X 7' pole for the center of the tarp; Perfect prop! About 3 AM a strong wind picked up, lifted the tarp, and the pole came crashing down on my tent. I have since attached 4, 18" pieces of parachute cord to the underside loops, and whenever I use a pole-prop it is tied to them. Never had a problem after that, even in the strongest of winds.

I have set-up this tarp 75-100 times and have never used the same exact configuration twice. You have to let the terrain (trees mostly) dictate the "set". In fact, I really have come to enjoy the process, just to see how clever (creative) I can be to get that perfect set, where the tarp sheds the rain off the tent and at the same time allows you to sit close to the fire. I usually have to settle for one-or-the-other, but have done it a few times. If you do get one of these tarps, the most useful loop I have found to be is the top-center one. You just tie a piece of parachute chord (bowline knot) to it, tie a rock to the "tag" end and throw it over a branch, pull taught and raise the tarp center to the desired height. So, was it worth the money - YOU BET!! How much is it worth to sit, DRY, under a tarp, close to the campfire, during a rain/snow/sleet storm? Bottom line: When this tarp "dies" I will order a new one the very next day.

PS: Jack has emailed me since my return to NJ and suggested that the tarp could be used to fashion a make-shift frame canoe in an emergency. Maybe?? But, as you will read later, it could have been used to save two guys who destroyed their (aluminum) canoe trying to run a set of rapids. Think about it; If you put a (unpatchable) hole in your canoe, 60 miles from the nearest "anything", what do you do? "There ain't no way to walk out of here"!! So, could you "make do" with the tarp as a "skin" over the hole?

Day 7: Sunday 9-14
Good thing I hung the tarp last night because it rained. I moved everything out into the sun, to dry, and made my morning fire. When I went into my boundary pack for food, I noticed a hole, about the size of a quarter, right in the middle. I had seen a few mice last night and those suckers ate right through the rubberized bag. I dumped everything out of the bag to assess the damage. Only thing they got into was 2 Zip-Loc bags of nuts/raisins: Ate ALL of the nuts but none of the raisins. Now, there must have been 1/4 pound of nuts in each bag. How many mice were there? That is one of the problems with camping at "established" sites, especially ones that are frequently used. The critters come to rely on campers for an easy meal. I know it is a rule to hang your food bag, and I did. Most of my food is stored in a separate SEAL-LINE bag, BAJA 10, but since I had packed enough to last 30 days, all of it would not fit in that bag, so I double-bagged the surplus and just left it in the boundary pack. Mistake # 1. I carry about 5' of Duck tape for emergency use and tried to patch the bag with that; just would not stick to the rubber. Perhaps a few Victor mouse traps will be part of my gear next trip?

I wanted to get an early start to paddle the big, open water of Kawnipi Lake before the wind picked up. First 2 miles are not too bad, but the next 3, where the lake is over a mile wide, are really exposed. Had a quick breakfast of instant oatmeal and launched at 9 AM. Nice southerly wind pushed me along at a fast clip, almost too fast to troll. Then, it started to pick up. I found myself out in the middle of the lake with whitecaps starting to form. Reeled in the fishing rods and moved closer to shore, but that did not really afford much protection. Had no choice but to make a run for it. I have paddled this canoe, fully loaded, in some rough water, but always where the climate was warm. Up here, hypothermia would set in quickly should one capsize. Reached the narrow end of the lake at 11 AM and was relieved when I could round the point to get out of the wind. Beached the canoe on a flat rock and took a much needed stretch break. Walked up the hill and found a really nice"uncharted" campsite.

Note: I am using detailed Fisher brand maps (11 of them) for navigation: Scale is 1.5" = 1 mile. Established campsites are noted with a red dot. No red dot was indicated at this location, but since camping is permitted anywhere in Quetico, there are many sites not shown on the map, some of which are really nice. Sometimes the reverse is true: A red dot appears but no campsite can be located (at least not by me). This can really question one's navigation skill, because these sites are used to pinpoint your exact position on the map.

Had a cup of tea and decided to fish from shore for awhile. What a hot-spot!! I caught 7 bass (3 over 17") in less than 20 minutes. Walked around the point to take a look at the main lake; it was a sea of white water. It was like another world on the leeward side. Even though it was barely noon, I decided to camp here for the night. Sky was getting darker, so I hung the tarp close to the fire ring, just in case. There was already a nice pile of firewood and, since this was an uncharted site, more wood was easy to gather. Once camp was set-up, I went fishing from the canoe. It is really a pleasure to paddle without the added weight of camping gear. At this point, the lake divides into a series of narrow fingers: Looks more like a Rosarch(sp) ink-blot test than a lake. These fingers are protected from the wind and it was a pleasure to glide through them for several hours. Added bonus was that I had my best day of bass fishing - EVER!! Caught over 30 fish and measured 5 that were 19"+. Half of the others were over 15". That is excellent fishing by any standard. Also caught 2 pike, but no walleye. Filleted one bass for dinner.

Sky remained overcast the rest of the day, but it didn't rain. Dinner was diced bass fillets boiled in a package of Ramen. Cocktails will be Vodka Collins. I love Quetico!

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I'm glad John likes his Cooke rain fly. Here's another way to set it up quickly and save some strain on the tarp.

Starting with the tarp: there are about 32 loops made of nylon webbing on the tarp. In each of these, put in a 24â€Â

Swampy

Aug 25, 2003
Southeastern North Carolina
sounds like you boys were raized with Baker Tents.....
Look at a 1930 something Boy Scouts Manual on tents...
Paul Mason loved them and camped with them... i'm even considering them for an individual tent for solo canoeing
swampy