Paddling in New Mexico | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling in New Mexico

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
Today was an unseasonably warm and quiet day for Fall in New Mexico. I was trying to figure how to put off doing the long list of chores that I have to do, I decided to go canoeing, that was easy ;-) Cochiti Lake is located within the boundaries of the Pueblo de Cochiti Indian Reservation. Cochiti Lake is on the Rio Grande, about half way between Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Cochiti Dam is one of the ten largest earthfill dams in the US. It was 85 today, that is over 10 degrees warmer than normal. It has been in the 40's here overnight so the water was pretty cool. I forgot my real digital camera, these were taken with my phone so please excuse the quality.

This is looking east, you can see a few splashes of Fall colors.
Cochiti1.jpg

This is looking west, you can see the Jemez mountains off in the distance.
Cochiti2.jpg

It was a great day to be out paddling, not too many people, quiet, light breeze, WAY better than doing chores :)

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hey, Corey. Did you ever try the tumpline portage method yet? I'm going to install one on the Katie Bug - 13' 4mm plywood S&G canoe. I have a chunk of nylon band 2" wide and will sew it into a loop to rest on my shoulder blade area, with a tumpline attached. As we used to say in the Pacific area - "testo-testo".

One end of the portage band will be tied and left tied; the other end will be secured only for carrying. Tumpline will be left on the band, I think.

skiabq

May 6, 2006
Albuquerque
No, unfortunately I have not tried it yet. I sure could have used it yesterday, the road was closed that went down to my favorite cove that I usually launch from and I refuse to pay the $3 boat launch fee just to park in a the boat launch parking lot, so I had to portage the canoe for a few blocks to get it in the water. I was thinking about you and the tumpline as I was portaging over to the water. I have been pretty busy lately and have only skimmed your post on the Canada trip I thought that you might have given that a try on your trip.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
On that trip I purposely avoided the need. Charlie offered to portage my boat, but I shyly demurred. While he walked another trail, I took a practice nap. (Not a real nap, only a practice one.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, "Time spent in practice naps doesn't count off your lifetime."