Paddling on Suwannee River Oct 07 Lots of Pics

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
The put in at Hwy 41 in Whitesprings, Florida

IMG_2793.jpg

Joy and her custom paddle

IMG_2794.jpg

Spring house with water flowing into the spring instead of out......

IMG_2797.jpg

Dave

IMG_2801.jpg

Boats at Rest

IMG_2804_1.jpg

Who is that mystery Steeler's Fan?

IMG_2822.jpg

River View

IMG_2826.jpg

Limestone Bluffs

IMG_2829.jpg

Break Time, relaxing on the river

IMG_2849_1.jpg

Big Shoals

IMG_2880.jpg

Tree Dog

IMG_2890.jpg

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Franke,

What wuz the water level? Wuz Big Shoals too low ta run? Does that Steeler dog git excited when ya start gatherin' up yer gear?

regards
bearridge

Democracy is when the indigent, and not the men of property, are the rulers. Aristotle

swamprat

Aug 28, 2003
Venus Fl.
members.findmoore.net
Hey Bear, The suwannee is right around 54-55 right now. Almost enough water there to run big shoals. But pretty dang shallow. Cheese grater rocks all through there if ya blow out :shock:
Good to see water on big shoals at all though. Last time I was there it looked like this!
file.jpg

Nice pictures Buck Island. Looks like you put in and paddled up to Big Shoals?

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Great report and pix Franke! Not hard to pick your boat out the resting boat pic......how is the new boat working out? Shoals??? On that river???
I'm jealous.....Westbury is having a better time than I am and gets to paddle more. My last paddle was with you wonderful folks. Unless I head South over the winter, it will be my last paddle until Spring. Maybe I need to take up ice sailing. :cry:
Have Westbury wear his terrible towel Monday night. Steelers VS. Baltimore and they give us a hard time?
I see I didn't talk Dave into the Loon.... :lol: He still looks like Col. Sanders.. :wink: Nice Southern Gent!
Give the crew my best. Thanks again for the fine report!
-----Jimmy

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Suwanee River

With the current running as hard as it was we opted to do a short hike and check out the park by land to get to the shoals. The water level was 56.5 feet which includes about 48 foot of elevation so the water level was definitely high enough to run the shoals. We were treated by a young man in a whitewater boat who shot the shoals while we looked on. The white water in the original post is Big Shoals and there was no wading in it this last weekend!

Dave is sticking with his single kayak and it's going to take a pretty large pry bar to get him to buy another boat. It's getting cool enough that I may have to go to long pants for morning paddle but I intend to suffer through it.... :lol:

Westbury gets so excited when I get the gear out he sleeps right next to it so I won't forget him. We usually notice the wife is missing before we get to far out of town and head back to pick her up. I'll Definitely give Gator Dog the heads up on the game. May have to put cable to his TV in his box so he can root for the team.

The new boat is working out great and turns so easy I spend half the time paddling backwards just for fun. It's pretty fast and not that hard to keep on track but does drift sideways if you stop paddling. Works out to be exactly what I was looking for and exactly the way the catalog described, I'm one happy paddler..... :lol: