Paddling screws first group outing. | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling screws first group outing.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

Over the past few years, I have been inundating my work email network with piccies of the various paddling trips Robin and I have been doing.

As a result, a lot of staff have shown interest in the sport and have purchased their own boats. An informal paddling group has now been formed and the plan is to get together whenever possible for a group paddle :D

Today, was the first of hopefully many such trips with four of us venturing to our local Lake Lenthall for the day.

The lake has been well below capacity for a couple of years now with the drought we have been having but recent very good rains have raised the water level by over 3 metres (about 10 feet)

The lake is in reality a small dam that is the water supply resevoir for the local area. We have very few significant natural lakes here so we call all our dams lakes. :oops: Either way, it was a lovely paddle and an opportunity for some serious team bonding time.

A lot of piccies were taken and if somebody can point me at a piccie hosting site that allows for slide shows, I will post a link. Mean while, here are a few of my favourites. :D

Three amigos :D

2007_05180013Small.jpg

Hairy & Kris working structure.

2007_05180029Small.jpg

Morning tea

2007_05180021Small.jpg

Skinny Water

2007_05180049Small.jpg

black swan

2007_05180054Small.jpg

More skinny water

2007_09130034Small.jpg

Kris & Keeny & adult beverages. Dehydration is a dangerous thing ya know. :p

2007_05180039Small.jpg

Oh yeah,

The road/causeway they are standing on is part of the Old Coach Road. it is now a farm track but once was part of our main North/South Highway about 100 years ago.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
paddlin' screws? :lol: :lol: :lol: I see ya took Dr. Cheswick, Dr. Martini 'n Dr. Scanlon fishin', where wuz Dr. Tabor 'n Dr. Bancini? :mrgreen:

Nice pichurs. How iz the convicts boat comin'?

regards
bearridge

A census taker once tried to test me.  I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.  Hannibal Lector

cctyer

Apr 20, 2007
Short Shorts, Arkansas
Nice report Mick, I love the name! Did you catch anything or did nurse Ratchet take away your TV privlidges and there was an ensuing riot and lock down? :lol:
Nice report. It's good to have company sometimes.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day guys,

It was a great day out and in good company. :D

Re the camping thing - similar thoughs were expressed many times. :D Unfortunately, the mob that own the dam are not allowing camping at this stage (officially) However, I have been working on clearing an old foresry trail into the upper reaches and that is now accessable to 4 wheel drive.

Very few know of the track these days but we have put in place tentative plans for a working bee at the camp site to get it sorted. The local ranger is a real good bloke and provided we are very discreet and leave no mess he is is cool with it. :D The Morning Tea shot is taken from the campsite.

Only one bass for the morning, the oxygen levels are right down in the water at the moment and that has shut them down some.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
If you guys gang up and help him , then make sure all you leave there are foot prints and the only thing you take are pictures it sounds like he might work with you as far as camping.

It is nothing more then helping the folks in charge with some of there work and protecting the environment for you to enjoy , one hand washes the other. :D

Chuck.
PS. This is why I can camp in or on areas where no one else can. All they see are foot prints when I leave there and sometimes even those are not visible. I do call the land owner and let them know when I want to be there to make sure it is OK and after I got home. It is there land , not mine.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
If you guys gang up and help him , then make sure all you leave there are foot prints and the only thing you take are pictures it sounds like he might work with you as far as camping.

It is nothing more then helping the folks in charge with some of there work and protecting the environment for you to enjoy , one hand washes the other.

G'day Chuck,

That is pretty much the unspoken deal. He works out there alone and has to deal with some knuckleheads at times. The mob that own the dam have wisely (IMHO) imposed a 6hp and four knot limit on all power boats that use the place.

There are also permits required to fish it.

A lot of the go fast power boat mob have taken objection to this and regularly vent their spleens on him. He is firm but polite and courtious and thoroughly professional and fair. He genuinly cares for the place and is as passionate as I am about keeping it pristine. I have allways had his back and now, there are a bunch of others that do too. :D

He knows about my backwoods track into the upper reaches and is very happy to keep it our little secret. I have known the owner of the land for years and he has no problem with my discreet use, :D A couple of fish left in his fridge, each trip is the usual tax. :p that is very cool too.

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
Good day Mick nice looking pics looks like a good place to paddle . I feel the same way you & Chucky does & probally alot of you other geezers. Its too bad we that some idiots that have messed alot of places & rivers up where there are now posted signs.

The ole trick you talked about does wonders sometimes a little fish or meat or helping with a chore. I guess you might call it bribing. :wink: :lol:

WestCoastPaddler

Very cool Mick. Here in Canada we use the term "corrections officer". Interestingly, at the paddling store where I work, we have quite a few corrections officers who paddle -- both male and female. Quite a few of them take their kayaking very seriously. I suspect that it's a good way of relaxing.

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Cat.

There are very good reasons why our water mob have imposed horsepower and speed restrictions on this dam. there are just submerged tree stumps and fallen timber everywhere. Most are just below the surface and truly are man and boat killers for the clowns in high spped boats who want to do 30 knots plus everywhere they go.

G'day Dan,

The official, politicaly correct term out here is custodial correctional officer but most of the real ones prefer to call themselves Screws :D. I am not so sure that we manage to correct that much anyway cause most of the villians come back to our tender care time and again.

Our facility has a total staff of only about 200 or so with about half of them being screws or custodial staff. Of the screws, there are probably about 20 there now who are keen recreational paddlers and the numbers are growing steadily. :D

While I can't speak for the others, Robin and I have found the sport a magnificent form of stress relief and a chance to re-charge our batteries and keep up a reasonable degreee of fitness as well. I guess only a paddler would understand.

I am building a simple little rec kayak at the moment as a loaner boat in case anybody wants to come along to try what is, the love of our lives. :D

Speed Boat killers. :p

2007_09130020Small.jpg

Kris lookin for barramundi

2007_09130019Small.jpg

Swan in flight

2007_05180056Small.jpg

Dam allmost full :D :D :D
2007_09130037Small.jpg

Only fish for the day - small Ausie bass at 39cms

Mick-39cm20bass.jpg

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
catfish said:
The ole trick you talked about does wonders sometimes a little fish or meat or helping with a chore. I guess you might call it bribing. :wink: :lol:

Catfish

It is not a trick , OK , It might be , but I like to think of it as cooperation between the land owner and the person they let on there land.

Most of the time the ranchers or orange grove folks are to busy working all day to go fishing and have some fresh fish for supper , or duck hunting and have a wild duck dinner that night.

I sure don't mind sharing , been doing that all my life , so when they let me on there property they know two things. :p

They have someone out there with Law Enforcement capabilities and a sportsman who usually gets his fair share of the fish or ducks. When the latter happens then they get some dressed out ducks for there supper. The only work for them is to take them out of the bags and throw those quackers in a roster then sit back smelling a good supper cooking.

Or to break out the skillet and have some cleaned (Boneless) fillets of fresh caught fish for there supper.

Either way it is win / win situation for both of us , I have a private place to go and they can have some fresh game or fish that night for there supper. They get there work done and have a supper like they took the day off without doing it , I have all the fun , they have a good meal.

I also lend a helping hand with any problems or jobs they might have when entering or leaving the property. If they need a helping hand. :D

It is called .... Respect and it works both ways.

Chuck.
Mick .... Nice Ausie bass , Now please tell us what you are using him as bait for. :lol: :lol: :lol: ( Folks , I'm in some deep chit now unless he is going to cook it for Robins supper )

islandpiper

Mick......wow, great trip and i envey you for the trip and camaradierie!!

Nice to see you all can switch over from from steel bars to sand bars so easily. I know you Aussies......there must have been a beeer-boat that never showed up in the pictures!

cheers, Piper