Paddling the St Mary's River in GA 8 Aug 08 | SouthernPaddler.com

Paddling the St Mary's River in GA 8 Aug 08

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
Friday the 8th we met up at St Mary's Fish Camp just outside of Folkston, Ga for a weekend of camping on the St. Mary's River. At 3 pm the crew of 3 men and one dog, Jay, Steve, myself and Westbury, comprised the whole group for this weekend. As it was raining quite hard we waiting for a break, then loaded everything onto Jay's truck and with the outfitter headed up to our putin, what the locals call Emmaus Church put in. We no sooner were on our way when the rain started up again and after a few comments from myself about not minding paddling in a misting rain, the bottom fell out and the lightning started cracking. Fortunately the heavier rain didn't last long. With the water level at 6 feet on the gauge near Moniac, Ga and 40 cfs of water flow we were greatly relieved to see that it was more than enough water for a great paddle without having to pull over any stumps or sandbars. We encoutered lots of trees hanging in the water and had to go around and thru a lot of them on this upper stretch as the waterway gets very tight in lots of places. Jay managed to get caught in one strainer in his kayak and his only recourse was to flip out and recover what we could. He only lost his new hat as I managed to retrieve his camera case and paddle as it floated past me.

Here's Steve in his newly bought $15 dollar garage sale canoe. Great camo job!

IMG_4269.jpg

Our first night was spent on a sandbar 7 miles down river from the put in. We feasted on Brats and sat around the campfire. As it had been in the 100's temperature, we were glad that the cool front had dropped the rain and temperatures so we could enjoy a fire to chat around.

IMG_4274_1.jpg

A picture from the upper stretch of where we paddled. Gets pretty tight with lots of strainers, definitely not for beginners.

IMG_4282_1.jpg

We're not usually early risers but about 7am Steve and Jay were milling around and said that we had a definite problem. The boats were gone. As I stumbled out my tent I saw my canoe so I felt that the problem wasn't that large after all. Feeling guilty for that sudden flash of nonconcern we deduced that with all the rain on Friday the water had risen at least a foot or more and as we usually don't encounter that on our river paddles we neglected to tie the boats up. We jumped in my canoe and within a few hundred yards downriver came across the boats side by side along the shore. Big relief from my paddling partners. After a small breakfast we continued on our journey but at each stop to swim or eat we put a stick in the water's edge and watched the river rise.

Black water mirror

IMG_4285.jpg

Saturday was uneventful with the sun shining and the temperature in the high 80's, a welcome relief from the previous week. There were lots of sandbars to stop on and the current was pretty strong so we didn't have to paddle hard to make a few miles. As we only wanted to travel 25 miles total we knew we would be camping early, so we took our time and swam a lot. Great way to travel

A shot of my lead dog, Westbury. How such a small dog can hold so much sand and load up a tent, sleeping bag and everything else is a wonder but I don't even try and keep a clean tent anymore, just like Pigpen from Charlie Brown I just climb in and go to sleep.

IMG_4286.jpg

This is a shot of paddling thru the willows. Great for practicing technical moves, not so great if you dump out.

IMG_4288.jpg

Paddling the correct way or at least stretchin my legs....

IMG_4298_1.jpg

We stopped at 2:30, 10 miles down from our last camp and found a nice small campsite amoung the willows. It wasn't real high ground but I wanted the shade to keep from getting too much sun. Later as it got dark I just had to go paddle so I headed upstream and explored a few oxbow lakes off the main river. As it got darker the moon was getting covered over by the clouds and I decided to head back. As I approached camp I came across Jay complete with flood light and radio contact with the mother base out looking for me. I was glad that they were concerned for me but my only problem was when Jay blinded me with his flood lamp, then I couldn't see for the rest of the way to the campsite.....

Saturday's campsite

IMG_4303.jpg

Sunday morning we awoke and found a much smaller sandbar but as we had paid attention and learned from our mistakes, we still had all our boats and the tents were dry. The water must have risen another foot and was still coming up slowly. It was quite foggy when we arose but we knew that wouldn't last long.

IMG_4316_1.jpg

We had been seranaded by Barred Owls all night and the frogs and crickets had kicked it up a notch just to be heard. What a great way to go to sleep. A thin sheet was all that was needed as the temperature dropped during the nigt to the low 70's. Birds were present but not in a great abundance. The usual heron, egrits, Ospreys, Hawks, vultures, woodpeckers and songbirds flew over and around us as we paddled along. The only gator we saw was at night across from our camp as we shined our headlamps across the water and turtles were few and far between. Squirrels on the riverbank were about the most wildlife we saw but we did hear one hog back in the woods as we paddled along. Not too many houses along this stretch and we only encountered one fisherman on Saturday. The rising water must have convinced the rest to stay home and do yardwork.

The lower section was more wide open and we mostly just paddled to keep the boats headed downriver.

IMG_4319.jpg

We did just over 25 miles and took out at Tomkins Landing. According to the gauge near Moniac, GA the water had gone from 6 feet to 7.25 and the flow from 40 cfs to 120 cfs but according to our stick we believe it was more than that. Every time I paddle this river I cannot believe how I could forget how beautiful the scenery is. We left the outfitters after getting all our gear back and stowed in our repective vehicles with plans to do it again this weekend. Hopefully our plans will materialize as the waterlevels and weather are perfect.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
You got me on the Emmaus Church put in , we normally drop in at State Road 2/94 which is right out side of St George. Then take 5 days to get to Thompkins Landing.

The upper area from Highway 121/23 down to state road 2/94 has some homes along it and is no where as nice.

If you go past Thompkins Landing on down to Traders Hill the campsites are few and far betyween plus there is a tidal influence on the river and it is wide in that streatch.

I trust Steve and the guys at the St.Marys River Outpost are doing OK , it has been a while since I have seen or contactaded them. They are a bunch of nuts and some good people.

Your trip report makes me feel like I camped there with you , it is one beautiful river and offers a lot of great camping and relaxing. :D

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Mister Aint Right,

Fine pichurs. Great place. Good memories. Swell tale.

regards
bearridge

Every Communist must grasp the truth, 'Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun'. Mao Tse-tung

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
Heya Franke!

I loved this report mate. Thank you :D Had me right there with you. 8)

Beautiful river and pics.

Is Westbury a Silky, or Australian Terrier? either way, bloody great little dogs. I had one for years and she would have just loved this paddling and camping caper too.

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
We believe that he is a Australian. We were told that by a breeder who examined him but we don't know for sure. He has a personality that some like and some don't. Makes him a unique dog for sure.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
buckisland1950 said:
He has a personality that some like and some don't.
Wait til ya paddle with the Master of Flow Bizness! 8)

regards
bearridge

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes! [If you can read this sign, you can get a good job in the fast-paced, high-paying world of Latin!] Henry Beard

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
bearridge said:
buckisland1950 said:
He has a personality that some like and some don't.
Wait til ya paddle with the Master of Flow Bizness! 8)

regards
bearridge

Sticking to the trip theme of the thread........ :oops:
That is privilege that folks stand in line for and have to file an application for approval. Out of all the applications only a few of the chosen ones have the honor of accompanying me on the water.

They have to know which end of the boat goes down stream ( That way I don't paddle mine backwards since I copy them) They have to be half deaf so I can snore and it does not bother them . It helps if they think that Tuna in a can is a gourmet treat. Most important is that they need to know at lease 10 Lawyer jokes. Or be a Lawyer since most of them are jokers. :lol:

It is hard being humble when you are as great as I am. :roll:

Chuck.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Ole Brown Eyes,

I got Miz Bear ta needle point a big sign: "Stick on the Thread, No Matter What". I think I kin. I think I kin. So far I done purty good, but today I been in a Greeko-Dago mind. Speakin' of good eats, tuna with Zatarains 'n a squeeze packet of Miracle Whip iz hard ta beat. A slice of pineapple on top 'n a bagel underneath will make ya slap yer momma.

It haz rained here two days. The dead grass turnt green 'n if Miz Bear dont git ta movin' faster, I will be cuttin' grass frum here til Sunday. Skeeters come out thicher'n democrats at the postal office on check day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lord I am sorry I tole that....'n bless all the little pygmies down in Detroit City.

regards
bearridge

ps My computer haz come down with the Scapegoat virus agin. :lol:

Me transmitte sursum, caledoni. [Beam me up, Scotty.] Henry Beard

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Nice report Franke. Wish I was there...... :(

Tell Westbury get out his "Terrible Towel". Steelers played the first pre-season game Friday night! :wink:

If any of you SouthernPaddlers ever make a river run with Westbury.....FAIR WARNING!! Stay the hell away from his boat unless you wanna look like Long Jon Silvers in Treasure Island! :shock: He is very possessive about his boat! :shock: :?

buckisland1950

Aug 15, 2007
Savannah, GA
You don't mess with his boat, his tent, his truck, or his human! :lol: If you get too close he becomes all teeth and it's not a pretty sight. We're going back this weekend and doing it again, hopefully the river and weather will be about the same. I'll get his cape back from the dry cleaners and get him ready for the season...... :roll: