Paint stripper vs sanding | SouthernPaddler.com

Paint stripper vs sanding

WadeT

Jul 7, 2008
Tolono IL
Im restoring an older Pirogue. Im wondering which is better paint stripper or sanding. I dont know what kind of paint is on it but it sucks trying to sand it... I used to work on sailboats and I have never seen paint this thick on a boat of any kind.....What do yall think is best...
Thanks
Wade

hairymick

Dec 8, 2005
Queensland, Australia
G'day Wade and welcome aboard mate!

I would urge caution with the stripper. I don't know if your boat is expoxied or Polyester resined, if at all (under the paint). If it is either of these things, the paint stripper could have a real bad effect on the resin.

Have you tried MILD heat from a heat gun and scraper? this will generally soften the paint enough to allow for easier scraping. :D

WadeT

Jul 7, 2008
Tolono IL
I tried the heat gun on low heat (750 deg f) and now I got a problem...It looks like im peeling up very thin layers of fiberglass mat with the paint...any thoughts.......

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
what's the base material? is it wood or fiberglass?

if it's wood and an old pirogue then it's likely polyester resin which - in my experience - doesn't hold on to wood in the long term. So you just as well take it all off down to wood and start all over

you might try one of the milder strippers or sand

if it's glass then try some 40 grit paper on a side grinder - lightly

Friend Keith and I restored an old wood one once. It was more trouble than building a new one.

WadeT

Jul 7, 2008
Tolono IL
It is wood, but im wanting to wait till this winter when everythings frozen over to take it down to wood and glass again.I have been finding a lot of careless mistakes the builder made.....I think Im going to try the stripper and see how it will work.....Or I might go fishing..... :lol: ....dang thats a hard choice..

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
seedtick said:
Friend Keith and I restored an old wood one once. It was more trouble than building a new one.

I tend to agree. Unless it's got some sentimental value, you would be better off building a new one. Just the stripping and reapplying the fiberglass is a big job. If you have to fix all the builder's mistakes, that could get nasty real quick.