Partial Deck for canoe | SouthernPaddler.com

Partial Deck for canoe

Obie

Mar 15, 2006
Wisconsin
Here's another pondering question for you-all.
After paddling a kayak for several years, i really enjoy having thigh and knee braces to handle a craft. now with my canoe(double paddle, sit on bottom)--i have the boat done up to putting in bulkheads and bow/stern decks---i went out and paddled it(it floats !) but i really miss the braces when turning...... i'd still like to have braces and not have a completely decked canoe, just enough to be able to install knee and thigh braces.
One thought is to have a curved thwart come across for knee braces, and/or maybe have a partial decked place just by the seat for thigh braces. maybe just have the front part of a coaming come across the canoe. i'd rather not have thigh straps as they don't work both ways and are cumbersome. i keep coming up with these ideas after the fact...but that's the way building is, i guess. maybe this just means i need to start a new boat.
any thoughts? examples?
thanks !

Obie

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Obie-san,

I'm very interested in this, because I will be building a decked, solo canoe too. Like you, I paddle with a double-ender all the time, and leave the pizza-paddles for others.

Part of the variable package is your gunnels or coaming - whatever you are now calling the edges of your cockpit. Height, gap-width between, material of composition, relative strength, etc. Several thoughts bounce around in my head here, in no particular order. Method of affixing is another large variable. How willing are you to commit to epoxy vs a clamp or a knot?

1. A 3" wide nylon band stretched from each edge, and down to an anchor point near the keel line. Maybe one anchor point, maybe two to get correct angles. These straps (experiment here) may be perpendicular to the keel line, or the top end may slope forward or aft of the low anchor point.

2. A thwart that temporarily clamps into place on the cockpit edges. (Chuck - show him how your sail rig clamps on, please?) This solid piece could then have braces affixed to it in a number of ways. I would make them adjustable for several reasons. Firstly, what may feel good sitting in the boat in the shop may get very tiresome on the water after several hours. Secondly, a change of position may relieve fatigue while under way.

Generally, I think (right now, anyway) that I would want them to be temporary and removable. I say that in the face of my policy of "no moving parts on my boats". Because, moving parts don't, and break-proof things do. But, you may want a clear boat with no obstructions for loading/ unloading a long pole or something. More likely, you may want to move your seating position.

Further, you may want to step a mast in this craft at some point. Small craft can be propelled so many ways! Single paddle, double paddle, sculling, poling, outboard, sail, .... My favorite is drifting.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Here is a picture of how I did it for a pirogue or canoe. You might be able to customise it for your use.

leeboard%20rig.jpg

All of the pictures .....
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/littleton/Default.htm

The diagram of the building process.
http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/sail/sail.pdf

Chuck.

Thank you, sir. Jack

Obie

Mar 15, 2006
Wisconsin
kjack & chuck
excellent advice, thank you. i really like the leeboard rig--just the ticket for me--that way it will be movable, for comfort and for when the wife paddles it, and it will be a start on my next project---sailing the canoe.
chuck--that is soooo unselfish, to put plans up for everyone to see, thank you !
Next i'll be after you-guys for advice on how to convert the canoe into a sailer. just when i thinks i has seen a lot, another door opens and there's a whole new world out there(sailing) that i never thought of.
and thanks for getting back to me so quickly, nice to have a circle i can bring questions and dreams to.

Obie

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Obie

The only reason we are here is to help folks with questions ... something that was not there for Kayak Jack or myself when we were stumbling around in the dark building the kayaks we are still paddling.

The sailing rig ..... I have used it on a canoe and a pirogue....... It is simple to use, set everything up and take out. I sit on the lines from the sail when it is just right and in the honey spot for the wind..... This way if I need to let them go it is easy to do.

If the sail is over the right side of the boat then use your paddle on the left side as the rudder....... If the sail is over the left side then use your paddle on the right side. It is not rocker science or brain surgery, just tons of fun.

If the sail is in the middle of the boat and not doing a darn thing .... :evil: ..... Paddle on which ever side you like. :lol:

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldsparkey said:
The only reason we are here is to help folks with questions ... something that was not there for Kayak Jack or myself when we were stumbling around in the dark building the kayaks we are still paddling. ...
Obie, actually I'm only here to harass Chuck, and Piper, and Br'r Bear, and Bear's Buddy, and Old Yaker, and Mick, and .....

We're like a new wife, we'll stretch your imagination - and your budget!