Pasta Putanesca | SouthernPaddler.com

Pasta Putanesca

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
This was posted by Oldyaker and looked so good I copied it so it could be in it's own section.... (it was in the Italian dressing post)........Chuck.
===============================================

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:09 am Post subject: Woah!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dang Oldtimer, you are good! Yep the name fits. The origin of this sauce came from the ladies of the worlds oldest profession. They would make it from stuff that would be on their shelves and they would make it in hurry so as not to lose too many customers. Especially when a few ships pulled into port. I make it on occasion and I like it.

Pasta Putanesca(or ladies of the evening pasta)
*1/2 cup olive oil
*3 finely chopped garlic cloves
*couple pinches of ground red pepper
*28 ounce can of of Italian style peeled tomatos with basil
*Chop up the 'maters real good
* About 4-6 ounces of Kalamata olives(black), pitted and sliced.
*1/4 cup drained capers
*3 to 6 anchovies patted dry
*Bunch of parsley chopped well
*Pinch of oregeno
*Salt and black pepper
*1 # of pasta

Cook the pasta. While it's cook'n, in a pot big enough to hold the cooked pasta. Heat the olive oil, add garlic and cook until just turning brown. Toss in the crushed red pepper,BAM! add tomatos with juice, olives, capers, cook for ten minutes.
Finely chop the anchovys and add to pot, stir in oregeno and parsley and cook two minutes more. Toss in the pasta and mix with sauce.
Enjoy with a glass of red wine and some Italian bread.

Oldtimer

Jan 21, 2004
Mis'sipy Delta--Temporarily
Hit'z a Hit!

Oldyaker,

Well sir, you have an accomplishment. EP said to most definitely say "Thank you" to whomever supplied that recipe. She's agonna turn sum more a her pet moths aloose come Satiddy 'n build hit agin on her day off. That rat thar sez sumthin……

That recipe shore don't make much. We added sum diced up pork chops ta it ta stretch hit out a tad. I'uz a little wurried about prostitutin' a prostitute sauce :? but hit wurked rite well. We iz goin ta double it next time. Seein az how hit's a hohouse recipe, I figger hit's purty much whut I know az "kitchen recipes" er "peasant food", that iz, hit gives ya th basic flavor 'n ya kin add er take out jest a tad ta yer own likin' thout losin th original concept. Now EP laks hit jest lak hit iz but we gonna add a little diced-up bell pepper next time. Tonight, becuz a my own tastes, oncet hit wuz served up, I added salt 'n pepper (EP don't use NONE 'n I use a bunch), a slop a xtry olive oil, 'n just the wee-est dash a red wine vinegar. Hot damn that uz good! Come Satiddy, I'z gonna buy summa them long, flat noodles whut is impregnated with spinish 'n done turnt green. :mrgreen:

SON! I's sittin' hyar a-ritein this jest a-smilin lak a jackass eatin' cactus 'n az full az a hog staggerin away frum a trough fulla slops. That wuz sum mitey fine eatin'. I'm a-addin my thanks ta EP's. Difrunt iz good......sometimes :wink:

Oldtimer

PS: I'm a-thinkin that th recipe will go well with any lite meat lak chicken, pork, er fish. I don't think I want no cow in hit, howeverâ€â€

A

Anonymous

Friend oldtimer,

I got a taste jest readin'. I been makin' chicken spaghetti fer some time now. Mushroom cream soup 'er celery cream soup instead a tomaters. The rest seems ta always call fer olive oil, garlic, onions, peppers 'n such.

Miz Bear dont have a big garden, but seems that this time a year its some good stuff flowin' ta the kitchen. Once upon a time I looked in the icebox 'n seen stuff pilin' up....like it did a few days back.

When I seen that, I grab the olive oil 'n start pullin' stuff frum the icebox. I fry onions, banana peppers, bell peppers, celery (leaves chopped fine), eggplant (watch that stuff 'er ya likely ta have ta add a heap a oil), green tomaters, garlic, jalapeno peppers 'er whatever else iz pilin' up. Sometimes I add salt, sometimes I hold off ta see what I'm gwine ta use it in 'er on. I put a good bit a olive oil in it when I do this. [I dont add a heap a hot peppers....less ya aim ta turn yer belly inta a volcano.]

Then I put it in a jar 'n back in the icebox. That way it dont take up much room 'n whenever ya git ta cookin', all ya gotta do iz spoon it out. Soup, sphagetti, black eyed...opps, sorry....butter beans, purple hull peas, etc. Ya kin spread it on a piece a meat before ya cook 'er mix it in a dippin' sauce.

If I had all day I mite make a list a all the stuff ya kin put this in 'er on, but I aint. :cry: It mite be quicker ta figger out what it dont go on.....ice cream....uh......well, ya'll kin find some stuff it dont go on.

regards,

bearridge

I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.
John Adams

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Guy's

About cooking ...........A person once said something that stuck in my mind and is the truth..............

The Late & Great , Justin Wilson (The Cajun Cook) said ...... "Cooking is nothing more then good taste and common sense"

I for one think he is correct on that statement but have to add, you need the Holy Trio in cooking....

Onions, Garlic & Celery ..... then to help them I use some Cayenne, Salt and a little wine to kick everything in the rear end. As he (Justin Wilson ) would say .... "Hit don't matter what wine , what ever one you like ".

Chuck.

P.S. Onion & Garlic is good for you and Celery is actually a salt when used in cooking. OR so I understand it. I do know that on a hot day some celery to munch on is down right good. :D

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Since y'all brought up the coffee pot pasta again, I brought up this old one I like alot a little different way. I like anchovies and garlic alot!

SPAGHETTI ALLA PUTTANESCA (HOOKER'S PASTA)"No one seems to know why this pasta was named after the ladies in the world's oldest profession," "Perhaps the fact that it can be eaten cold explains it -- they could cook, do some business, and have a nice cold meal ready. But at room temperature it could be a tasty meal on a hot day when you want a 'do-ahead' dish."
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 ounces or more kalamata or Gaeta olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon drained, coarsely chopped capers
1 large fresh tomato, cored, peeled, and coarsely chopped
4 or 5 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
12 ounces dried spaghetti
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place oil and garlic in a skillet over medium heat and saute until garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add olives, capers, tomato, and anchovy fillets. Stir well and heat through for about 6 minutes; keep the sauce warm.

Have a heated serving bowl ready. Cook pasta al dente, and drain well. Place pasta in serving bowl and add half the sauce. Toss well. Top with remaining sauce and sprinkle on parsley, salt, and pepper. Serve hot.

coogzilla

May 3, 2008
So Cal USA
!/2 cup oil is a little much. Just enough to brown the garlic. Unless
you like oil. Sounds good. Throw in some chopped bell peppers and
mushrooms.