Pellet Panic What to do. HELP | SouthernPaddler.com

Pellet Panic What to do. HELP

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
Here is one of my Crosman Custom Shop 2300. I am currently converting a Crosman 1377c to a 1322 for a boat pistol. ET

2300.jpg

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Very new to pellet guns but I'll put in my 2 cents. CO2 is handy but doesn't perform well in cold weather. Probably not the best choice for fall and winter hunting and camp plinking. Personally, I would not like to spend my time counting shots and/or wondering when my gun will run out of gas (pun intended).

The Benjamin seems to be a well made pistol- metal and wood-- an American classic. Self-contained with no worries about power supply. I've read they are rather strenuous to pump and the trigger is not so nice. Also read that they don't lend themselves to modification if that's your goal.

My experience so far with my Crossman 1377 is all favorable. Simple as dirt. It's got a few glitches in stock form that can be changed with a wide array of modification options. Trigger can be GREATLY improved with zero money and 15 minutes of your time. You can even turn it into a 22 cal. squirrel thumper for 50 bucks.

Try this link and do a little searching. LOTS of good info.
http://www.network54.com/Index/12861

good luck
Joey

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
OK, Been readin a bit.
Correct me if I err.

From what I read, the 1377 although less $$$ has a plastic breach, grips and forearm.

Both the HB 17 -& 22 have all metal plus wooden grips and forearm.

To upgrade the 1377 to metal, it will cost + - $50.00.

That brings the cost to within + - $30.00 of the more expensive pistol pistol and there is no need to worry.

Pellet speed is within 100 fps and a slower hit is better than a fast miss.

Am I correct ?.

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
The 1377 has a lot more after market upgrades and has proven to be a better pistol overall. If you read the Crosman Forum you will see that more recommend the 1377. A steel breech and bolt are $29.99 from Crosman which is all you need if you are not changing calibers. You can do many other upgrades if you like including a carbine stock. I have also found the 1377 to be one of the most accurate pump pistols available. Just depends on what you want. JMHO :mrgreen:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/

rhutchinson

Jan 18, 2008
Middle Tn.
One thing that was factored in in my decision to buy a 1377 was length of barrel (distance between rear and front sight). Most others I saw were much shorter. I thought this would give more accuracy potential. Although to see me shoot it's not real obvious :oops: :lol:

Richard

wilded

Aug 28, 2003
Round Rock, Texas
I just got a truglow holo sight and may put it on my 1322 conversion so I only have to put the dot on my target and pull the trigger. I know it is cheating, but it works for these old eyes. :shock:

rpecot

Nov 10, 2006
Katy, TX
wilded said:
Academy Sports has the Crosman 1377 pump in .177 caliber for $49.99 :wink:

My recent trip with Piper and Joey must have given me "the itch" 'cause I've been poking around this sub-forum for the past couple of weeks. I went to http://www.SportsAuthority.com and found the Crossman 1377 for $49.99 as well. They were advertising a $0.99 shipping deal, so I clicked the "add to cart" button, just to see what the deal really was on shipping. It was true, but I can just as easily drive to Academy and plunk down the credit card for $49.99 if I so desired. Well, I get ready to close the window and a little pop-up window comes up... "Tell us why you're leaving and we'll give you an additional 10% off" I'm like, "huh?" :?: So I type "just shopping around" or something, click enter, and I get sent back to my online shopping cart and low and behold, I have an extra 10% off! :shock: I added 500 Crossman hollow point pellets (10% applied there too) and I'll be plinking away in a few days for $53 and change. :D

Sorry, a little off topic from the OP, but I thought I should share this deal with everyone...

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Well, after much thought and beer, i opted for the Benjamin HB-22.

Time will tell if it was a wise decision.

Pellet speed is said to be 450 with 8 pumps. Drops off a bit with less but, I haven't seen many tree rats that can do that speed from a standing start. So it should be fast enough.

Again, time will tell. I may even get to eat a couple of the pecans from the tree this year. [If I can get my accuracy good enough for head shots prior to actual tree rat elimination.]

a Bald Cypress

May 7, 2007
Northwest Louisiana
Well;

The HB 22 showed up in the mail today.

For the price, I had expected a bit more refined and finished product. :?

Everything is put together with split metal pins and they are not driven in centered,[ie] one side sticks out more than the other. Easy fix but indicitave of haphazard workmanship. :x

One of the pins holding the forearm in place chipped the wood when it was driven in. Again a small chip but less than desirable for the price. :evil:

A couple of the pins were not smoothed down and create scratch hazards. :cry:

The grip on one side is not aligned correctly. :roll:

Many areas, especally around the trigger guard have excess metal which should have been smoothed out. :evil:

The action does seam solid. Time will tell. :|

I am going to leave the pistol AS IS until the ron des vou so y'all can see it and perhaps it will give you something to think about if you are planning to buy an air pistol.

In the meantime, I'll run a few pellets through it to see what it will do.