Permethryn And Bugs | SouthernPaddler.com

Permethryn And Bugs

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Permethryn doesn't kill all bugs, but it does get most of them. Spray it on your camp clothes a day or so before you leave. Also, spray it up inside pant legs and shirt sleeves. ALSO, spray your socks. Darned bugs chewed up my ankles pretty bad on the last trip.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Well, the Port Vincent strain of chiggers must eat the stuff for dessert. Piper and I sprayed down our pants and socks with the stuff and still came home with 20 or 30 bites each on our ankles and legs. Maybe we should have sprayed down both days for good measure. A mixture of one part Clorox and two parts water dabbed onto the bites as soon as possible does reduce the itching quite a bit.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Joey, "most of them" were the key words in Kayak Jack's post. There are no chiggers in Livingston Parish only "red bugs". :wink: That is probably why his recommendation would not work. If they stay below the thighs you will probably be lucky. That Clorox treatment might get tricky in some areas. This also explains the low number of mosquitoes encountered. The "red bugs" probably fought them off so they could have you all to themselves. :roll: :roll: :lol:

beekeeper

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Yeah, Bee, we do call em red bugs. I just didn't want to sound too "country". :) I did have one that came a little north and got a mite personal with the jewels. :shock:

To tell you the truth, I'll take red bugs over skeeters any day. At least red bugs wait til you get home to make their presence known and not pester you for hours on end.

Joey

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
jdupre' said:
Yeah, Bee, we do call em red bugs. I just didn't want to sound too "country". :) I did have one that came a little north and got a mite personal with the jewels. :shock: <SNIP>
The recommended treatment in a case like that is to drive all bugs to one side, say the left. Shave a vertical patch clear, pour on lighter fluid or gasoline, and strike a match. As the red bugs run to the other side for shelter, stab them with an ice pick. Pretty simple; I'm surprised you hadn't thought of it before, Joey.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Kayak Jack said:
Pretty simple; I'm surprised you hadn't thought of it before, Joey.

Oh, I thought of it ,all right.....................like I said, I THOUGHT of it. ( Key word is "THOUGHT" not "TRIED") :lol:

catfish

Feb 7, 2007
jesup, ga.
joey i thought we only had them in south georgia. :lol: yea they are likethe sand nats they do alot of damadge for there size. :shock: in hunting season i try to drink alittle bit of vinegar each day ahead of time & each day while hunting seems to work. that is if i remember.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Back in the dark ages ( while in high school) when a new Yankee would move in and complain about the red bugs we would tell them to put kerosene on there ankles so the red bugs would not be able to get to there candy a$$.

I think some actually tried it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the other hand I have seen guys out hiking with there socks pulled up over the bottom of there slacks and secured.

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Remember the GI chigger medication? For some reason the government could not say it was just clear nail polish that was applied over the bite to suffocate the little beggars. But then no one could get a contract for supplying nail polish to the Marines. Chigger medication -- yes; nail polish no.:mrgreen:

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
As kids, when we'd visit the grandparents in Arkansas, they'd dust our shoes and socks with powdered sulfur to keep the chiggers away.

Worked real good, except that we always wound up rolling around in the grass. Next day our feet and legs would be bite free, but the parts of our backs we couldn't reach would itch something fierce.

I can also remember as a first grader in Virginia, when the skeeter spray trucks would come around, we'd run out and play in the fog. That might explain a lot.

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
graybeard said:
As kids, when we'd visit the grandparents in Arkansas, they'd dust our shoes and socks with powdered sulfur to keep the chiggers away.

Worked real good, except that we always wound up rolling around in the grass. Next day our feet and legs would be bite free, but the parts of our backs we couldn't reach would itch something fierce.

I can also remember as a first grader in Virginia, when the skeeter spray trucks would come around, we'd run out and play in the fog. That might explain a lot.

And back then they sprayed the GOOD stuff.
Bob

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
Breathe in the DDT, then go inside and play with liquid mercury. Funny, never bothered me.

Didn't help you either. :roll: :lol: I'm now starting to understand. :wink:

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
beekeeper said:
Didn't help you either. :roll: :lol: I'm now starting to understand. :wink:
"That's one."
(email me at [email protected] and I'll tell you that story about "that's one.")

I am afraid I might know this one. :) I apologize Mr. Kayak. :roll: I forgot my manures and upbringing. I shouldn't have picked on you. Your sensitivity is probably a reaction to the DDT and you really can't help being "special". :wink: :lol:

I know, I know, "That's two!". I couldn't help it.

beekeeper

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:
I'm besmittened! (again)

Stop useing those big words. :x :wink: You're just showing off. :)
I looked that one up also. Took a while to figure it was two words put together. Your sneaky :evil: Jack.

Looked for information about permethrin. Preventing or killing of "red bugs" was not listed anywhere. Said it was fatal to cats. We knew it didn't work for red bugs from Joey and pipers post.

beekeeper