Permethryn And Bugs | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Permethryn And Bugs

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I just took the liberty of inventing that word. Wait a few years; it'll be in the dictionary. "Ain't" made it!

I know that permethryn isn't fatal to all bugs; but it sure narrows the flood tide down to a manageable trickle. We had tent worms dropping down on us in hordes in May on the Manistee.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Now Jack you done tripped your self up. You was a bragging about your northen climate not having buggs,now you done went and owned up to the Chiggers and tent worms,and you failed to mention the no seams and I have never been anywhere that had mosquito's as bad as up north
Lets see you have bear ,been a while since I seen one of the critters down here and wolverines and you be next door to Obama and all his crony's
I believe I will take a rattler are two before I would want all the critters :shock: :shock:
Ron
Oh one thing that is bugging me if you cant see um how do you know they are there.
When I was a kid my folks use to give us sulfur tablets and dust the clothes with sulfur powder
Finger nail polish did the trick and sometimes they added some monkey blood to it .
Opps you know what monkey blood is?

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Tent worms and an odd bear now and then, no chiggers. Michigan rattlers, massassaugas, are small and timid. They don't grow to 5-8' like I see around your neck of the woods.

I saw big ones in California. And, once had a 9 1/2' python draped around me for about an hour or so, but I was drunk then, so that doesn't count.

Primary danger around here walks on two legs.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
beekeeper said:
Looked for information about permethrin. Preventing or killing of "red bugs" was not listed anywhere. Said it was fatal to cats.

beekeeper

Glad to hear it's effective on large vermin as well.

Kayak Jack - you're right about the two legged kind, but there was this recently.

Scott said he was hiking in the Red River Gorge Geological Area ahead of his wife and son when he spotted the bear about 25 feet away. He said it appeared to be about 150 pounds and he took a few photos with his cell phone until the bear disappeared under a ledge. Scott said he was about to call his wife to tell her to take another trail when the bear reappeared.

Scott said he yelled and dropped his belt bag hoping to distract the animal. The bear just sniffed the bag and continued approaching Scott, who grabbed a rotted branch and hit the bear. But the animal kept coming.

Eventually, the bear "lunged forward and grabbed me a bit but let go."

I don't see "Bear at 25 feet" and think "Cell Phone Pictures" unless I'm at the Zoo.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Kayak Jack said:
I heard they captured the bear, decorated hm, and set him free in central Florida. There, he'll seek viennie snausages and gritz, just as he was trained to do.

Funny that you mentioned that , we have had some over in the Altamonte Springs section of the county wandering around. They were trapped and moved up into the Ocala National Forest and released.
If one of them was the same bear he will like it up there ... The Florida Trail *** goes right threw there , a lot of hikers and backpackers. :D

The Florida Trail is 1,500 miles in length and goes from the Everglades to the tip of the Pan Handle.

Chuck.

graybeard

Dec 24, 2009
Between keyboard and chair
Kayak Jack said:
I heard they captured the bear, decorated hm, and set him free in central Florida. There, he'll seek viennie snausages and gritz, just as he was trained to do.

Well, they tried to decorate him, but he just wouldn't wear the FSU T-Shirt.

I'm starting the rumor that the bear smelled grits, but when the hikers threw the fanny packs, he found they didn't have the baby weiners. Naturally, he got enraged. Good thing he didn't try the NA beer.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
FSU tee shirt??!! Non-alcoholic beer??!! No wonder the bear was mad and bad!

On the other had, had he eaten any viennie snausages, his digestive tract would be working in high gear by now. Fat, cereal, and by products are the best parts of'em. Gritz, however, would keep him in balance. Transmission shops use gritz to soak up oil off their floors.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Kayak Jack said:

Bears don't have to be trained to eat viennies or grits. :roll: They are smart enough to know what's good to eat. :roll: :)

beekeeper