Perry's Bayou Skiff Build | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Perry's Bayou Skiff Build

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Y'all one bunch of wild and crazy guys. Well, I'm not sure about wild but yall have the crazy part down. LOL Thanks for the advice on the cloth weight. I'm glad I got the right stuff. I'm about to try posting some pics. Hopefully it works. I also may have a question or two.

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana

Planed down some oak from a tree that fell during Hurricane Katrina. Glued up 3 pieces to make a bow stem. Thought it would be fitting since I plan on naming her Katrina.

PerryM

Feb 26, 2014
Lacombe, Louisiana
Well thats all the pics for now. Next, I will be glueing up the side pieces. Should I add silica to the wood flour to make sanding easier? Can I just use silica? Should I tape the scarf seams or just wait and cover them when I do the whole boat? How does it look like I'm doing so far? It's really been going better than I expected and I'm having a blast! Thanks for the help. :D

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
PerryM said:
Well thats all the pics for now. Next, I will be glueing up the side pieces. Should I add silica to the wood flour to make sanding easier? Can I just use silica? Should I tape the scarf seams or just wait and cover them when I do the whole boat? How does it look like I'm doing so far? It's really been going better than I expected and I'm having a blast! Thanks for the help. :D
I would guess/think (but could be wrong) adding silica will make the "flour" harder to sand.
Tape or "wait and cover" = Probably only need to do one or the other. If you want/need the added strength for the splices, doing both would not be wrong. If you are planning to fiberglass the outside of the boat, tape on the inside of the seam would add a lot of strength.

beekeeper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
All of my boats were butt joints epoxied and taped on both sides then later covered with glass when I glassed the boat.
As far as a filler for the epoxy I used wood flour and sometimes the micro bubbles which are very fine glass bubbles. They were lighter then the wood flour and a lot easier to sand. Just make sure you have a respiratory device ( mask ) on when working with them since you do not want to breath any of them and they are extremely light. Working with them and adding them to the epoxy it looked like smoke rising from the bag as I would remove some.