Pickeled Cabbage | SouthernPaddler.com

Pickeled Cabbage

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
I tried the pickeled cabbage recipe from the rendv. turned out great! I have a similar one from my little Tiwaneses buddy,but like this one better.
Not very famiiar with the "Jarvis" food rating system,however this is "Jarvis good eating" I did modify a little.
1 I added an onion
2 I added a coupla cloves of garlic
3 I added some fresh ginger
4 I added 5 or 6 whole cloves,and some pickelng spice

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
You can bet your sweet pattutie that the Koreans added a LOT of garlic, and hot peppers. John Wong's recipe was an Anglicized version of a Chinese version.

Jarvis story. My Granddad was a German farmer. Whenever he raised whet or oats they had a thrasher come around. the farmer's wife was expected to feed the thrasher crew, who could eat an army out of house and home.

Dad would speak of one, particular guy always had to have corn bread and a cup of warm maple syrup. He'd dip a chunk of cornbread into the syrup, take a bite, and proclaim, "JARVIS good eatin'!" Dad never did know who Jarvis was, but figured that he ate well, wherever he was.

islandpiper

sakett, glad you liked the cabbage John wong brought me another gallon.....and his hand must have slipped when he was putting the peppers in this batch, because it is bringing the sweat-beads out on my forehead.........but good stuff just the same.

I put the gallon jar on the front counter about 11 AM and a pair of sticks, and just get a gob when I walk by for an hour or so.....good lunch, no fat, no sodium.....grazing is the best method for mid day meal.

piper

sackett

Sep 26, 2007
Hey guys,
Just got back from WV,been up there since 'bout the middle of March. Wanted to give Y'all a update on the pickeled cabbage. Made a batch as soon as I got there,we have guys coming to workin teams about every two weeks. The first batch lasted two,that's right2 meals. I NOW MAKE IT IN A 30# PLACTIC NAIL BUCKET THAT JUST FITS ON THE FRIDGE SHELF.
OOOPS
The first thing I hear from new guys is "What's this pickeled cabbage thing I keep hearing about"? The first thing I hear from returning guys is "Ya got cabbage"/