Pictures of Chucks strip pirogue? | SouthernPaddler.com

Pictures of Chucks strip pirogue?

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I had them on the forum with the server ( GoDaddy ) we were using. When we switched over to this server none of those pictures were able to be saved or transferred. Lost everything.

Basically what I did was to take the strips and make a flat board from them. The same as if using a sheet of plywood and making a Uncle Johns Pirogue the standard way. Only execption was that each piece/section was the size I needed and not like a full sheet of plywood.

Chuck.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I had them on the forum with the server ( GoDaddy ) we were using. When we switched over to this server none of those pictures were able to be saved or transferred. Lost everything.

Basically what I did was to take the strips and make a flat board from them. The same as if using a sheet of plywood and making a Uncle Johns Pirogue the standard way. Only execption was that each piece/section was the size I needed and not like a full sheet of plywood.

Chuck.
I think my real question is did you lay the board straight or bend them like Ron and I have been doing? Ive got a boat that has too severe curves to bend the 3/4 " strips. First time I had to rip the tumble home strips to 3/8 inch to make the strips follow the panel outlines. That's too hard for kids so I Think I'm just going to lay the Strips straight across the pattern for the panels is that what you did? Thanks for the replies

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I cut the strips at 16 feet and 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 wide. Then I put them flat and touching on some plywood covered with plastic. Using wood glue I ran a bead along each seam then used clamps to hold the strips forming a single multi striped piece. Each one was 16 feet long and one foot wide. Those were for the sides of the pirogue.
When the glue set I removed the clamps and then ran a bead of epoxy along each seam to make sure they stayed put.
For the bottom I made a solid sheet with the strips and later trimmed it to become the bottom of the boat. Not sure about the size back ( standard Uncle John Pirogue ) then , say 36 inches wide by 16 feet long.
Both side panels and even the bottom bent without any problems to make the boat.

In summery .... All I did was to make the strips become a single sheet of striped plywood.
Here are three pictures ( click on pictures for larger ones ) and short explanation from Uncle Johns web site. Click on Redwood.

Reactions: oldbuffpilot

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
I cut the strips at 16 feet and 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 wide. Then I put them flat and touching on some plywood covered with plastic. Using wood glue I ran a bead along each seam then used clamps to hold the strips forming a single multi striped piece. Each one was 16 feet long and one foot wide. Those were for the sides of the pirogue.
When the glue set I removed the clamps and then ran a bead of epoxy along each seam to make sure they stayed put.
For the bottom I made a solid sheet with the strips and later trimmed it to become the bottom of the boat. Not sure about the size back ( standard Uncle John Pirogue ) then , say 36 inches wide by 16 feet long.
Both side panels and even the bottom bent without any problems to make the boat.

In summery .... All I did was to make the strips become a single sheet of striped plywood.
Here are three pictures ( click on pictures for larger ones ) and short explanation from Uncle Johns web site. Click on Redwood.
Thanks for the help. I've got the side patterns on the table, I just need strips. Still have a 10 lb lift restriction so may be awhile