Pine wood ? | SouthernPaddler.com

Pine wood ?

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Some of you more experienced guys know if I could build a good pirouge using sinker pine taken from the bottom of the river 2 years ago? Has anyone else used it or what is your input. It is about 150 years old without knots and very straight grained. Seems every log I have ,turns out to be pine. Any opinion appreciated.

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Heavy and probably prone to splitting. Should work with a covering of glass and epoxy. Weight really matters the most loading and unloading the boat. On the water with it's normal load, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Joey

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
Well, Mike and River Rat. I don't have any pics of the rig. I only use barrels tied to them or cabled when the water is low. As the river rises the current raises the barrel and wiggles them back and forth until they come loose. Of course they are tied off to something. we just check and wait until it happens.the ones close to the banks are sometimes comealonged as high as it can be until it dries some and loses a little weight. then it can be floated or pulled to a landing and loaded then brought home. The smaller ones that pop up are taken, float and log. One guy has 2 fuel taks off a plane with a overhead bar from one to the other and has a winch that doesnt work half the time, he usually uses the comealongs on it.He keeps a pull on the log all the time going every day and putting more pull on it until it pops up, then he pulls the whole rig . thats the way the poor folk do.

pereaux

Apr 13, 2009
That's a Plumb Snazzy boat you built there. Looks like planks.Is it? I haven't been here in a long time, Aren't you the person that built the cedar strip boat , a year or so ago? If so I would like to talk to you and discuss it with you. I have a lot of cedar cut in 3/4 " boards.Mabye thats what I ought to build instead of a pine boat.