Pink Gin | SouthernPaddler.com

Pink Gin

islandpiper

I have a client/friend who helps me out occasionally,
an old retired submariner, spent his wholelife at sea.
Interesting character and a helluva banjo player. he
introduced me to pink gin, a drink he picked up when
some Brits were attached to one of his boats. It is,
simply, gin, on the rocks, with a splash of bitters
and a twist. Really, not bad....easy to drink away
down South here.

Well, I found a real, by-golly recipe for the drink in
a book. It said to drip the bitters into the glass
and swirl to coat it, then add the gin, then ice and
twist.

I tried it that way and didn't notice much difference.
But, having a scientific mind I made another one as
originally learned.....seemed the same. so, just to
be sure, I turned back to the book and swirled and
coated another glass and poured the gin.

I have deduced that there is no real difference in the
drink no matter how or when you add the bitters. And,
I'm happier now that I have run that little
experimant.

Piper

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I read and understood your directions till I got to the twist portion, we use to do that back in the 60's when Chubby Checkers record (let's Do the Twist) was playing but I would be scared to try it today. Some parts don't twist like they use to. :lol:

Chuck.

islandpiper

Chuck......here ya go: select any lemon or lime, your choice. Slice it along the lattitudes into slices, your choice of thickness. Holding in the ringers of both hands with the center protion exposed, turn your hands diametrically, pretending, if you wish, that you have a favorite local, state or national politician by the neck or some other sensitive part, your choice again, and TWIST.

Carry the finished drink back to the patio and enjoy.

Repeat as desired.
Piper

BEARS BUDDY

Aug 27, 2003
BAY CITY MI
Piper, I bet if you repeated the experiment three times a day over a month you might get better results. Let us know how it works out.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Tanqueray Collins is one of my favorite hot weather gin drinks.
1 1/4 oz. Tanqueray gin, 1 oz. lemon/lime juice, 1 tsp. sweet 'n sour, Splash of club soda. Mix and pour on ice.

Of course, it's winter up here now, so it's a Gorilla Fart for a Belly Warmer.
¾ oz. Wild Turkey, ¾ oz. Bacardi 151 proof rum. Pour both into a shot glass, take a whiff and shoot it down.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Dont none of ya'll little pardners try that at home. oldyaker iz a high trained fella.

So that iz what ya'll do when Ole Man Winter comes round? :roll:

regards
bearridge

I ain't like that no more. I ain't the same, Ned. Claudia, she straightened me up, cleared me of drinkin' whiskey and all. Just cuz we're goin' on this killing, that don't mean I'm gonna go back ta bein' the way I wuz. I jest need the money, git a new start fer them youngsters. Ned, you remember that drover I shot through the mouth ‘n his teeth came out the back of his head? I think about him now and again. He didn't do anything to deserve to get shot, at least nothin' I could remember when I sobered up. William Munny

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
oldyaker said:
...Of course, it's winter up here now, so it's a Gorilla Fart for a Belly Warmer.
¾ oz. Wild Turkey, ¾ oz. Bacardi 151 proof rum. Pour both into a shot glass, take a whiff and shoot it down.
Jimmie, me boy. I'd pray for your soul - but, damned if I know what I'd do With it if I had it. So, I'll let the devil take the hind quarter.

oldyaker

Aug 26, 2003
Never argue about drinking with an Aussie! I learned at the tender age of 19 in a far away land in a forgotten conflict from Aussies I thought were my friends. They taught me about imbibing adult beverages. Only thing I remember is hanging over the edge of an Aussie military vehicle chucking.
eck15.gif

"You'll be OK mate after a good nights sleep", I remember them saying.
After hanging passed out, face down over sandbags to keep from choking
eck32.gif
for 24 hours.....I made a promise to myself.......Never, ever, from here to eternity......keep up drinking with an Aussie!
1346.gif

paddlin4reds

Oct 17, 2006
Lake Ocklawaha, Fl
Mornin';
OK, the only way I like "Gin", is a "Tanqueray" BloodyMary (your favorite way). Simply awesome, in my mind. But, I just have to try a "Gorilla Fart", ,,,,just seems like a thing I gotta do..... :lol: plus anything with a "turkey" just has to be good....Right? :shock: Ok , I owned a bar for 6 yrs. Our signature drink? well .... after afew hours of mixin', a buddy & I came up with a "Krista's Iguana". it was: 01 Lime Sliced and juiced (into a large pitcher) 01 lemon Sliced and Juiced (yep, in the pitcher), 01 "mini Bottle"(1 3/4 shot) Vodka, 01 "mini Bottle" Gin, 01 mini Bottle Tequilla, 01 "mini Bottle", 01 "mini Bottle" Melon Liqueur, plus 02 Ice cold Mike's hard Lemonades, & 02 Ice cold Mike's hard Limeades. Top off the pitcher with Ice.........well I guess you can figure the rest out 8) if not....what are you going here? .... and does your "mother" know where you are?

A

Anonymous

GIn ?

Ya want lemonade, drink lemonade just don't ruin good whiskey with it.

When I drinks whiskey, I drinks whiskey.

Neat with water back. Only way.

Mixed drinks is for da ladies.

Or men who don't mind not tasting what they are drinking.

bearridge

Mar 9, 2005
way down yonder
Friend Bald Cypress,

It iz some strange things done in the land of the midnite sun. Before Sam McGee left Tennessee, he never woulda mixed nothin' but a little branch water with whiskey. Once ya git up on the tundra, yer tongue must freeze. Mebbe that iz why near bout all the good sippin' whiskey comes frum Tennessee 'n Kentucky, not Wisconsin 'er Ontario?

Next thing ya know ya git the urge ta put sugar on yer grits.
683.gif

regards
bearridge
Ole Bodine XXX

There will be a shortage of virgins in heaven before we are done. David M. Amon

A

Anonymous

Gin

Sometimes ya just gots ta take the risk.

I'm reminded of the many times I have been in an area where the "Don't drink the Water" warnings were all around.
Used to sit and watch people order drinks with ice and then wonder why they got sick. :roll:

Never the less, water back it is. Fish or not.

Remember, the solution to polution is dilution. Get your water from a LARGE source