Pinto Beans | SouthernPaddler.com

Pinto Beans

smackover

Mar 13, 2008
Port Wentworth, Ga
I have just spent several days in the Republic of Texas. While there I was pleased to learn that Pinto Beans are
served with Steak, catfish, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Pork Chops....well just about anything that tastes good !

These beans were so good that I almost stayed out there for another helping.

It looks like someone out there has figured out how to "doctor" canned Pintos.
These restaurants just can't be cooking them that fast.

Would like to hear ideas from the folks on this forum who know about such things.

Regards,

Smackover

Wannabe

Apr 5, 2007
on the bank of Trinity Bay
Smackover,
There may be some misfits out there serving canned pinto beans but if you go to a good eattery the beans are probally in b big pot on the stove. The really good beans is when they dont sell all the beans they cook that day and put them in the cooler and the next day when you start another pot of beans you just add what was left the day before. Sometimes at my house we will have nothing but beans and cornbread. The beans will have some ham and hambone in it with plenty of onions. Beans are always better the next day
Bob

smackover

Mar 13, 2008
Port Wentworth, Ga
Yep; sounds like you know how to cook "Real Pintos".

Problem is I don't believe these guys are cooking them fresh each day .

Was served Pintos with fried catfish, Hamburgers, fried chicken, and Hot Links.

Ate at a pretty broad range of small eateries with small kitchens. Don't believe they can afford keep a pot on the stove like we like to do in the winter time down here.

I know from dealing with Sysco and Sams that many of the things we used to think of as home-made are now
available for re-heat.

Was hoping that some one here had figgered out how to do that with Pintos.

Surely the readers on this forum have the inside scoop.

Still scratching my noggin

Smackover

GoodOlBoy

May 12, 2011
Deep East Texas
Actually at most decent restaurants and barbque joints around Texas Pintos ARE cooked fresh daily. Your cook usually shows up around 4 am to start everything for the lunch crowd, and his replacements usually starts cooking at around 10am to cook for the dinner crowds. That is just for the slow items like good pintos, good tater salad, dirty rice, chili, barbque sauce, etc etc etc. Fast items (read deep fried) aren't even a consideration until they are ordered..... usually....

Richard