Pirogue Design Question. | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Design Question.

aprayinbear

Feb 9, 2007
South Carolina
Greetings to Everyone,

I've been reading Old Sparkey's Forum over the last few weeks and this is my first post. Great bunch of folks! And it seems I found you just in time, before starting my next pirogue project. Yes, I'm hooked. I built my first boat last year after moving back to SC. (Some people call SC Pirogue Heaven.) I had wanted to build a boat for years, so when I found myself back in SC with plenty of time, space and all that beautiful black-water calling me, I took the plunge. My first was a modified UJ. It is now anchored on the bank of a large beaver pond behind my brother's home. She may be a little rough around the edges, but wow does she slide through the water like glass. Since then I've built a Jon boat, but I love the pirogue the best.

I'm now considering a second pirogue to explore more of the swamps and rivers that wind their way through the low country where I live. So here's my question. I hope to increase the carrying capacity of my next boat. I know I could make my boat longer, wider, or raise the sides, but how about this. With most of the pirogues I've seen, the sides are basically parallel. Of course when assembled, such a design changes the "flat bottom" to more of an elongated U, creating that "rocker effect. My guess is that while the rocker effect helps maneuverability, it actually lessens carrying capacity. This is because the boat is meeting the water, not along the entire length of the flat bottom, but at the base of the U first.

What if I cut a slight arch at the bottom of the sides (nothing extreme, maybe 2" - 3" at center) so that when assembled the bottom would be more flat, offering greater resistance when placed in the water? I may lose maneuverability, but I would expect a measurable increase in carrying capacity. Am I way off base? What do you think?

:? Duffy

JEM

First off, welcome to the nut house. Wipe your feet at the door.

You are spot on with your thinking. You actually want to put a frown in the bottom of the panel. It's kind of weird to explain.

If you want some help, just let me know. Pirogues are easy for me to draw in my software.

What you'll be limited by is how many sheets of plywood you want to work with. To increase capacity and do things are you're thinking, 3 sheets of ply is what you'll need to get what you want.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
While I've never built a peerow, I DID have oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Prayinbear, the standard answer to your first question of how to increase capacity - length, width, or depth - is almost always length.

With some exceptions, almost all boats will gain more improvement with an addition to length than the other two dimensions.

Now, listen to the other fellows on here who have built peerows.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I took a Uncle Johns Pirogue and stretched it to 18 feet , that one will take anything and everything. One of the guys on the forum wanted it so he is paddling it now.:D

Some of the guys add a 4th rib when they stretch one out , it adds even more room in the center of it and makes the thing so stable you can stand in it to fish without going swimming.

Now you could go krazy like one guy did , he made one at 25 feet so he can take several tourists at one time for a paddle (sightseeing) in the bayous.

Chuck.

aprayinbear

Feb 9, 2007
South Carolina
Thanks for the ideas

:D

Great suggestions and info. What I've decided to do is to use a bit of what everyone said. I think I'll shoot for a length of around 15-16', while widening the bottom several inches. I'll make the sides around 13" and cut a shallow arch in side panels to lessen "rocker effect". I think I'll gain stability and carrying capacity while maintaining reasonable maneuverability.

Can't start until next month, but I'll let you know how it turns out.

Happy paddling!
Duffy

kc4zvw

Oct 26, 2003
Chuluota, Florida
www.billsbrough.org

keith

pirogue design

Hi Bear, sorry about the info I sent on building a pirogue. The information I sent was for a pirogue with more curves and angles that I learned from old boat builders that didnt have writtenplans. I know when I wanted to learn how to build pirogues (more then one style), I couldnt find any, the planes were all in their heads. I spent years finding them and learning their skill. I yield to the knowledge of those who build the " UJ' pirogue. He was smart enought to make some easy to follow plans and they will (the pirogue) float and get you on some nice memorable experiences. The basic swamp pirogue is 14 ft long and has a 24 inch wide bottom in the center. The sides start out at 12 inches with a cut-back of 8 inches and the bottom edge of the side has a slight arc of 1and 1/2 inch. The ends are Nailed together then the center is pulled open and to jigs are placed inside. The jigs have26 degree sides and on the small end is 22 inches wide, so you move the jig up and down and in and out to get your bottom width. After you have the proper shape and all is clamped you put your ribs in, All 7 of them. Ok thats enough for now, I need more coffee,later Keith

keith

skiff

Thanks Matt, neat story, good photo (I'd like to see more boat). That is the design I'm thinking of, it is indigenous of the area, its no design to go into a open lake. The same thing about a pirogue, it was for the marsh and swamp. Of course what we call a pirogue is not what Lewis and Clark called a pirogue.Have a nice day, later Keith

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Yes, Chuck (applying patience here - for the 47th time) they were flat bottomed boats. As the article clearly states, "flat-bottomed boats once used to negotiate the shallow waters of the Everglades’ sawgrass marshes and mangrove swamps." (emphasis mine)

Much different than water in the Gulf of Mexico, where you yourself are cautioning against certain paths and routes because of high waves. A flat bottomed, open boat in the Gulf is an invitation to disaster.

While I've never paddled there, I can look at he map, see many miles of fetch, and just guess about the effect of wind from any direction other than NE'ly through SE'ly. That leaves about 270 degrees of potential disaster for the unprepared - and ill equipped.

Cuba Gooding can hold his breath for 5 minutes (Men of Honor). Maybe we can too?