Pirogue on the Lay Away plan | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue on the Lay Away plan

WDfrmTN

islandpiper said:
Keith and Seedtick, What i'd like is something about 15-16 feet, maneuverable but not a "teacup" in the water, should track decently but not be welded to one line in the water. Helluva carrying capacity for my lard-butt and cast iron things....and gear, and guns and bows, and clothes and a folding chair. Decent reserve bouyancy so my heart won't stop if i peer over one side or the other while underway. Capable of living outdoors, inverted, in the weather, winter and summer since i don't have a boat shed like yours. Easy to maintain, no $300/gallon marine paints here. Heavy enough i can ram a cypress knee and light enough i can load it on my Suburban. Affordable. Faster than anything Jdupre' owns........no, never mind scratch that last item.

?????

piper

For a good mix of the "cheaper" paints/finishes with outdoor exposure, use some inexpensive car wax, or a small tarp, and store the boat in a somewhat shaded (at least through the hottest parts of the day) area. Good exterior house paints hold up well in exposure.