Pirogue outrigger design? | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue outrigger design?

Gatorgrizz27

May 8, 2015
Hi guys,

I'm new here but have been reading for awhile and built a couple of pirogues. Mine is 14' long with a 35" beam, 25" bottom and 30 degree sides. It's perfect for hunting in swamps and I can stand in it pretty well, but it does move around a lot. I've started getting into fly fishing (bass and redfish in marshes), and want some more stability for casting and fighting fish.

I've been working on a single outrigger design that is basically a "mini pirogue", it is 7' long with a 10" bottom and one rib. It will be attached to my pirogue with quick release mounts, a 2x4 going to the rear rib so I can also mount a trolling motor to it, and a 2x2 to the middle rib. The battery or other gear can ride in the outrigger to keep it from lifting off the water. I have some pictures but haven't had good luck trying to post them :?

I'm wondering if I need to make the height of the outrigger adjustable, or if I can just build the bottom flush with the boat and get it to trim properly by shifting some weight. With 200 lbs in the pirogue it drafts 3", I will usually have 50 lbs or so in the outrigger. I've also got it spaced out enough to paddle between the pirogue and outrigger if I need to, I'm wondering how much it will cause the boat to turn to the side instead of tracking straight. I appreciate the advice from anyone who has done something similar.

I've seen the dual crab float or boat fender outriggers, but they are a little "garage built" looking for me, even given the style of these boats. :lol:

hairymick01

G'day Gatorgrizz and welcome to the forum.

Re posting piccies, I use photbucket to uploade my images and then post a direct link to that image on here.

Your outrigger idea sounds like a good one to me and about the height of same, I have no experience of it but would think that the bottom of the outrigger should be just touching the water when the pirogue is loaded and sitting level in the water.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
It appears you are breaking new ground on this idea. :D
Judging from the pictures all of the outriggers pretty much ride on the surface of the water.
Hopefully others and anyone who has done this will sound off and let you know which is the best way to do it.

Chuck.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Welcome. Very nice looking pirogue. Is it a "Gator Boats" design or Gatorgrizz.
I don't know about building outriggers, but they do look like they should work for adding stability and troll motor.
I would like to add a heads up ,and/or some food for thought.
If you live in Louisiana and probably any where else, you will have to register your pirogue to use the troll motor. You will have to complete a "homemade" registration application, pay $, make an appointment to have the boat and all your material receipts inspected. Then you will be issued an I.D. number and tag plus you will then have to install and display a "vulgar" number on your boat. The agent that inspected mine was embarrassed to ask the sectary to repeat the number over the phone. All homemade boat numbers began with the letters that follow E and T. :oops:
If you are going to the expense, time and money to build the outrigger thing you might be better served to build another boat that would be designed more specific to trolling motor use. A boat built specifically to be stable and for a motor may be easier to haul/use verses the pirogue and all the attachments. Just asking?

beekeeper

Gatorgrizz27

May 8, 2015
Beekeeper, thanks for the reply. The pirogue is my design, though I do have a set of the gator boats plans. It was based mostly on what I read on here and wanting a 25" wide bottom, lots of flair, 2" of rocker, and being very lightweight to carry down steep banks by myself.

You're right about needing registration with any motor, I was hoping to be able to make some plates to affix the registration letters to in order to avoid them being on the boat when paddling. The outrigger was built completely from scraps, including leftover resin and paint. I'm fiber glassing it today and will post pics once it's finished. I'm also not going to purchase the trolling motor or battery until I use this thing with the outrigger and see how it does. The only thing I did to make it trolling motor compatible was use a 2x4 as the rear outrigger mount instead of a 2x2.

I agree with your point about building a larger, more stable boat, however part of the problem is I can't make up my mind on what to build :lol: I would like a larger 2 man standing boat, something about 16' long and a 39" wide bottom. I'm debating between lightweight, pirogue style construction like a Bayou Skiff XL scaled up to those dimensions, or the Bateau Swift Canoe 16 which can take a 6 hp outboard. The problem with the latter is the materials are much more expensive, even if I used it with a trolling motor for awhile and purchased an outboard down the road.

They will both also require using a trailer, more storage space, and not being able to carry it into remote area by myself. With the outrigger though there are more pieces, I can easily manage everything alone.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Goals, compromise, and $. The three dilemas of boat designing.
To save $ (material), portability, and max stability maybe consider a modular, short and wide "pontoon"/barge type boat. Two 8' pontoons/pirogues( 1 sheet of plywood each) decked over with plywood. Won't paddle very well, but the troll motor don't care.
Designing a boat to meet your goals is the best part of building boats.
A skiff design may work for you but my experience with them would lead me toward a beateau/john boat design. Trying for a boat that you can paddle easily and that will work well for standing and troll motor use may lead to disappointment in all of those areas.

beekeeper

Gatorgrizz27

May 8, 2015
Well I got the outrigger done, the paint still need to cure before I get it on the water. I ended up mounting it 1 3/4" higher than the bottom of the pirogue, and it has 4" of rocker in less than 7'. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep the outrigger stems out of the water and not affect turning too badly. I decided not to make it adjustable for strength, I will carry some water jugs for ballast if I can't get it to trim properly by shifting necessary gear, or make my dog ride in the outrigger :lol:

I also made an accessory pole/grab handle to stabilize myself while standing if needed and hold my gear. With the front seat removed and standing over the center rib there is nothing to foul the fly line and hopefully it will work great for fishing. I still need to build another push pole and shallow water anchor stake, as well as a paddle/pole clip.

I mounted everything by clamping to the ribs using wing nuts, it seems very sturdy but should allow it to slip if something goes terribly wrong rather than breaking the ribs in the pirogue. If it works well and I end up adding a trolling motor, I will add the Bigfoot button control so I can cruise along while standing with my fly rod in hand.

I'll update after I take it fishing Monday or Tuesday

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I fly fish out of my canoe or pirogue and remain seated so I do not create a silhouette for the fish to see. Also when moving from one spot to another I like to troll with a wet fly out behind the boat , just paddle slower then normal and it will help to locate the fish. Make sure your fly rod is secure in the boat , I like to have it angled out over the side with it over one leg and under the other.
Left side it is over the left leg and under the right leg. The left leg is straight out and the right one is crooked so the rod is in the crease of the backside of the knee.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
oldsparkey said:
I fly fish out of my canoe or pirogue and remain seated so I do not create a silhouette for the fish to see. ............

Chuck, I stay seated to not create a big splash for the fish to hear. :lol:

Gatorgrizz
The outrigger should work for you. What kind of paint did you use? It looks good.

beekeeper