Pirogue Repair, Refurbish | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Repair, Refurbish

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Central Kansas and Central Texas
Pirogue Repair, Refurbish.
We are back in Kansas, settled in and thinking about boats again. About seven years ago, My firsts stitch and glue was a JEM TV 15 32. It was Luan, and planned to be a learning experience in preparation for building cedar strip stitch and glue. It has been stored outside uncovered (in the shade). Unfortunately last winter a tree fell on it and broke the rail and side where it was sitting on the saw horses. There were also some small dings where the fiberglass was cracked and chipped.

9bj_UaSKijJwO0LY35ZBPJX1QypPDWK_WE3loiwZ2IcJNaW48lhQfNAKG-kIuyEGrfj3ZnWLKZ11xR-_4vc02_R0C3ZFhuhKjtDRI1mt1nAurXTWbGhvGnMJOE9C1XI3gP63p_Bb

w-4Pw1SWZ38xw2fhv_OLwrHxe94X7TNUpO0HtF15Ja2EDYZSA0--wW6wSMi5AvWmlwrQJMYofu__LyU9eDNHcm_Y58SRNFNxy1RSmGeAZfBqxbdZk6KFCgzdtDrivMKoZk3ovVTM

I was concerned that the Luan might be delaminating, but it appeared to still be solid. I sanded the areas, in most places sanding through the top veneer. That gave it some “character”. I patterned the areas on plastic drop cloth and cut the fiberglass from the patterns.
JbAGJJZFiG0pFaCNIxRJAY751ctB2D90GqVTJRhCm517E6kr373VIo07T0E31gCd0pUaiFnGIi7t3MP4pNMMWwJ_X_IpUre6kUFQKkQeEsONpXy6bDqEu7GWQcJ5UwwjMDRkfqUN

9wYpzg4HCR11I7l6B33Mi2wZ4z1y01ZK1PLYRQaYFVfQNR1nXrGjpuDhDSkAbHlDdpAIzEol6Y137EGBB-xhEuoRo7pP_AU3gywdKVFsNuQ08kDCqyQhOS74vEJC5LpKusgCbQRY

Blended in the fiberglass patches with sanding, then finished the whole boat with a coat of epoxy.

1xHC8rtylGnjVRFtVWyo4LiAkX0BsuXqCXbkSSmPjmDDAD5l_cB3lUWNzv8sVrY8LyTip_WuVoEqmV8HbESVbaS12Q3p64dgdFYs39nSRJBQ5QeEsZDHU6G2SJwZVFm4NB-yrK_8

I was surprised the Fiberglass encased Luan lasted so well stored outside.I am hopeful the new patches of cloth and new coats of epoxy inside and out will maintain the luan.I ordered some paint, intending to copy jdupree’s green and natural wood finish. then decided it looked good as it was, I can always paint later.

As always I’m soliciting comments and suggestions just trying to learn more from the forum

Andy

Last edited:

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
I don't know much about fiberglassing so I have a question. Did the "patterned" pieces fit into the sanded area or did they overlap some and were feathered onto the other glass?
Were the discolored areas restricted to the cracked/damaged areas from the tree?
The boat looks good now.

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Thanks JD, I new experience for me. I put a layer of epoxy in the sanded area and let it set 5 or 10 minutes to kinda fill the void where the cloth had been. The new cloth was over lapped on the old. I was pleasantly surprised how well that feathered in. Mostly restricted to tree damage. There were two or three small chips from normal use.
The. Boat lives beside the lake, mostly kid use, I fish out of it when my fishing boat isn't in the slip.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
7 years outside is impressive. Did you have any kind of UV coating over the epoxy/fiberglass?

oldbuffpilot

May 13, 2014
Jack, I had the same question after a friend recommended the product. Best I could find was that it and other clear coats don't block uv rays, but protect by "uv stabilizing the surface". I never bought the explanation probably because I didn't understand the concept. I tried it anyway based on his visible results.
My experience was that the boat faded some, no clear finish cracking, compared to quality varnish which faded and severely cracked in about 3 years. I'm about to conclude a fibreglassed boat must be covered or stored inside.

Andy

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Varnishes and other coatings are uv stabilized by the addition of “stuff” that dissipates the up rays at the surface into harmless heat. Pretty much similar to the way flatterers are added to gloss varnish to make semi gloss or matte finishes. Google “hostavin” for more info on the different types of “stuff”