Pirogue Sliced | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogue Sliced

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
I have been thinking of a little different boat, and after contacting Matt at JEM watercraft to ask permission to use his pontoon boat plan, this is what my first proof of concept model looks like.
paper%20pirogue%20003.jpg

paper%20pirogue%20009.jpg

although I think I would lower the center trunk a few inches and add one piece decks fore and aft to keep the hulls from trying to go their own way.
paper%20pirogue%20010.jpg

I know the draft would be more and turning would take some adjustment to get used to, but you certainly would be able to stand up and fish in the thing.
This is where I saw the idea first to give credit where credit is due

Green_W500_Fishing_Kayak_944.jpg

wavewalk.com
I was thinking about making it 12-13 ft long and 28-30 inches wide, basically building a pirogue with two longitudinal bulkheads, run a saw blade down the middle of the floor and end up with two identical (opposite) hulls.
Comments, gentlemen?

JEM

Stiffness and no twisting between the hulls is going to be the biggest challenge.

If I were building it, I'd put this style of frame made from 9mm ply at the front and back of your open cockpit area (your legs would pass through the open area). Fillet and fiberglass it into place.

PersonalPontoonFrame.jpg

Cut outs in the corners are to let water not get captured in one compartment.

:D

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Doug,
Two comments:
#1. Beware of the wave walker.
#2. In reading about tying two canoes together with a deck over the two, more than one writer cautioned to have the tips of the bows a couple inches closer together than the sterns. One would think, at first, that the two hulls should be perfectly parallel. However, they experienced water stacking up in between the hulls and coming into the hulls. I've never done a boat like this, merely passing along what I've read.

captaindoug

Nov 18, 2009
Tampa Bay, Florida
Thanks for the info guys. Matt I was thinking it would need a cross member system something like you drew and I could put the bench to sit on at level of the bottom of the brace and tie it together with glass and epoxy. That was also my thinking about the one piece decks. Kayak Jack, you have heard or seen of problems with those WW's? I only ask because all I've seen is basically their commercial, and it probably wouldn't be worth the time to copy something that has a few "issues". (Don't bother to reply if we are straying into the wrong territory here with that question.) or maybe a PM. I guess the boat needs to be a bit pigeon-toed to keep the water from stacking/dragging between the hulls.