pirogue with no rocker | Page 2 | SouthernPaddler.com

pirogue with no rocker

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
That's the beauty of paddling down here , Gin clear water in places and Coffee in others. Sometimes a person can luck out and find some in the weak Tea shades. A happy combination of both waters.
You can paddle areas to match your favorite beverage , sorry no olives for the 1st water and no cream or sweeteners for the 2nd and 3rd waters. .

jdupre'

Sep 9, 2007
South Louisiana
Our water looks more like cappachino. Yes, the pirogue is a great boat for these waters. An inch more or less of rocker is of very little consequence for my type of paddling. Like Jack said, races are won by 1%, but we're not racing, so we build boats to suit the other things a boat has to do. It's nice to think about the little improvements in design, though.
If I do another pirogue, I'm leaning towards an Uncle John-type design using epoxy and maybe just taped seams. I'll change the basic design to a more curved kayak-style bow and a more upright stern. I guess it would be considered an undecked kayak.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
I read, somewhere, that we are living our present, with solutions of problems past. In our evolutionary past, one that changed ever so slowly, those past solutions were probably still useful for problems in the present. Since the machine age, however, the relative amount of lag time is stretched much further. Changes in our world are moving much faster, and we are often still plodding along.

If, in his old age, a man were still surrounded by the same world into which he was born, yesterday’s solutions still applied. Today, however, we know that the world we live in is vastly different from the world of our parents. Or, even the world of 20 years ago.

Where I’m going with this is, our “next boat” is likely designed to fit the situations of previous paddling. IE: our tomorrow’s boat will likely be designed for yesterday’s problems. We often don’t look ahead for information, but rather behind.

Not to be ashamed of that, as it’s difficult and impossible to predict the future. So, we utilize previously collected knowledge that might well be the safest bet we have. But, are we fooling ourselves. Our guess of what design should be used is probably about as accurate as applying a proven design for a past problem, to an unknown future situation.

The pirogues, canoes, and kayaks major changes are the materials they’re made of today compared to, say, 200 years ago. Ancient peoples would easily recognize our modern boats. And quickly adapt to our new materials.

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Not related to the rocker issue but Joey and I talked about the build and discussed tumblehome sides and how they laid flat (almost) at the stems. If the sides were vertical at the stems and if the tumblehome panel was at a 90 deg. angle to the sides it would be flat at the stems. The sides are not completely vertical where it meets the stems and the tumblehome panels can be attached at an angle more than 90 deg. When the bresthook or decking is installed they follow the sheer line and are flat across.
IMG_3761.JPG
IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_2592.JPG

If you choose to install the deck or breasthook and stop the tumblehome panel short of or at the breasthook/deck
they will have an upturned look and will not present a fair sheer line unless the sides are "bobed" off level at the stems.
IMG_3038.JPG

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
The eye bolt is for attaching my bow rope while fishing. I don't like it hanging outside the boat and possibly hanging on a limb or something. Worse would to loose a fish because of a tangle. I tie my tackle bag to the rope in case of a spill. It is also handy for pulling oneself up from the seat if needed.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
After your wandering around, you finally got to what I use a bow rope for. I’d like a trapeze up above me. A powered trapeze. Don’t care as much about rocker in the boat’s bottom as much as a rocker in camp for MY bottom

Of course, you younger fellas don’t think that say, yet.