Pirogues Version of the Econ | SouthernPaddler.com

Pirogues Version of the Econ

Pirogue

After building a wooden boat and surfing the net I found a website that just sorta caught my attention. So I joined the board and hopped into the frey. As it turns out, the webmaster is only about 2 hours from the house. So it would be a shame not to meet the man.

Earlier this year I invited Chuck to a Paddle in Ft. Desoto. However, due to his previous commitments, he could not make it. Besides, it rained that day, and everyone knows Chuck doesn’t paddle in the rain.

Roll the clock to a month ago. My new canoe is done, and e-mails are being sent back and forth. I ask Chuck about a trip down his local Econ River, but he answers the river is about 8 ft above normal and it would not be a good time to go. I ask to be kept informed.

About Tuesday, I get the e-mail. The river is down and in paddleing condition. Saturday or Sunday is good. I look at my schedule, and the weather report. My schedule says Saturday is the day, the weather report says go Sunday. I send an e-mail for Saturday. Damn the weather- full speed ahead.

It is Chuck and myself. Hopefully, we will be joined by AndrewP.

I leave the house about 6 am, make a quick stop at one of my employees house and then it is off to the thriving metropolis of Chuluota. At 8:30 am I pull up to Chucks. We exchange pleasnantries and head off to the launch.

Are those clouds I see?

I swear, and this is no lie. As soon as Chuck gets out of his truck, yup you guessed it. Here comes the rain. Not a gully washer, but one of those rains that make you think “should I put on my jacket or notâ€Â