PirogueT or PirogueTV ? | SouthernPaddler.com

PirogueT or PirogueTV ?

Gerald_G

May 4, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Hello all. Been a while since I last visited, but interest is growing again in my brain to build, so I have a question.

I did purchase the plans for the Touring Pirogue, and then the plans for the T were released. I never built the Touring Pirogue, and I realized that the T would be even better. Now I see there is a TV, so I wonder which would be best for me, T or TV.

One of my ideas is to actually sleep in the floor with my feet tucked under some front decking, and a tarp over the boat, to avoid the need to carry my tent.
As such, I wanted to simply pull up on shore, and with the flat bottom it would rest flat on the ground without any support.

Would a T with maybe some thin strips along the bottom for skid protection/tracking paddle as good as the TV, or would the TV paddle so much better than the T, that I should go this direction? The "V" looks shallow enough to not interfere with sleeping plans in any way, other than the need to probably brace the boat a bit with a stick if I drag it ashore to sleep. Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.
Gerald

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Gerald
The T-V all the way ,you will never notice the slight v on land but you dang sure will on the water. There is no comparision
in performance.
Ron

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
I can't offer any padding advice between the two but I have seen Ron in his TV and he never worked at paddling it on the Brazos River. Scooted threw most of the rapids except for the really shallow one that he got hung up on ... As far as that goes I got hung up on the same one at the same spot in a light weigh canoe.

As far as pulling into the shore , he had no problem or while scooting threw the shallow water. I have to say the TV he was paddling did impress me more then I thought it would. From the load it will carry in the shallow water and still be easy to paddle was something I really liked to see. As you can see it was not lightly packed but actually stuffed on that trip.

brazo%20011.jpg

In larger waves it took them in stride and just went along like nothing was going on while I was rocking and rolling. Against some Texas winds ( they said around a solid 40 with gusts to 55 mph , mostly the gusts ) Ron just paddled along nice and easy. Sorry but no pictures of that I was to dang busy staying right side up and paddling. :wink:

It takes a lot to impress me as far as to what a boat can do but the TV sure impressed me and I would not be surprised if I have one in the near future. Both my Daughters and there husbands want a kayak to use and I think this would the best boat to put them in. From what I observed it will take anything in stride and just keep going.

Heck the one set of rapids , just south of our camp were nasty and when Darrell got hung up Ron paddled back up there like it was nothing , I was down stream , a short distance ( about 20 feet ) but not in the trough of the rushing water like Ron was taking life easy and helping Darrell.

Just telling you my observations , Have never seen or paddled the Pirogue T ....With some luck someone on here will offer advice about it.
The decision is yours to make , it is simple , which one do you like.

Chuck.

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gerald, as you already know, in soft sand the boat will find its own home nestling down for you to sleep. If the shore was rocky or otherwise inhospitable, I'd consider anchoring off-shore and sleeping that way. You'd get gently rocked to sleep as a bonus.

A friend of mine has a Kruger Sea Wind, and made a PVC pipe frame to fit around the cockpit. It is about 18" higher than the deck. He then had made a small tent to go over that. It disassembles and packs away for traveling. If you are interested, I can send you his name and you two can discuss it.

tx river rat

Feb 23, 2007
Waco Tx
Gerald
I need to add something to this ,I also own a hot air perow that is very simuliar to the T so I have a good comparision
Ron

IM001497.jpg

Gerald_G

May 4, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the notes everyone. I was probably leaning toward TV anyways. Sounds perfect for my needs.

Kayak Jack said:
A friend of mine has a Kruger Sea Wind, and made a PVC pipe frame to fit around the cockpit. It is about 18" higher than the deck. He then had made a small tent to go over that. It disassembles and packs away for traveling. If you are interested, I can send you his name and you two can discuss it.

I was thinking similarly, something where my paddle would act as the tent ridge pole. Some velcro around the combing, and presto !
No carrying a tent. I even have a coffin shaped sleeping mat already which should fit perfectly. (or close enough)

I don't plan to carry as much as Ron is !

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Gerald, where you're paddling in Alberta, you may not need much in the line of ventilation. Some, of course to help carry away condensation. But, you'll need good screens to fend off black flies and no seeums, right?

I'd likely sleep off shore. Except, necessarily getting up in the middle of the night - if I forgot where I was ....