planked piroque | SouthernPaddler.com

planked piroque

hometech

Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys new guy looking for answers. Enjoying the site. very informative. Recently I used some instructions to build a bateau or piroque from an old timer from Louisiana. He basically used 2- 1x12 x 16 boards out of cypress for the sides. Mulberry stock for the bow and stern and 3 boards for the bottom. All was nailed together into it's flared shape and caulked at the joints with water proof caulking. It seemed so simple that I just had to try my hand at building one myself. The problem I had was trusting the caulking alone. So I gave the bottom 6 coats of exterior super hard polyurethane on top of caulking. Now I'm not a boat builder by trade but it came out looking really nice. She floats great, travels straight, but felt very uneasy in stability. like a canoe. Have'nt been in small boat in many years. Size is 12' long 24" bottom 28 top. Is any one familiar with this type of build? Should it have been build wider for better stability? How will the polyurethane hold?

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Here's my two cents, YMMV

24" bottom has been pretty much standard since the 50's when they started building with plywood. Same thing with 12" sides - everything came out of a 4' width. 24" was also pretty close to what the "old folks" used also on their planked pirogues. Big folks or folks needing more capacity got wider bottoms, skinny folks or folks wanting to go fast got narrower bottoms.

12' is about the minimum length for a one man pirogue - I've been in ten footers but they get squirrelly fast

24" bottom and 28" beam doesn't give you much side flare (9 degrees), we normally build with 26 to 36 degree flare - more capacity, more stability. But not every boat was built for the same end use.

We nail and glue and do not use caulk. If yours doesn't leak, sounds like you're OK. Old folks left their boat in the water and the seams swelled up, making a tight fit.

My experience with polyurethane has not been good for exterior use. The stuff i used was lacking in UV inhibitors and just flaked off. Maybe you used some better stuff

beekeeper

Mar 4, 2009
Welcome to the site.
Is the boat pointed on each end (pirogue), or squared off (beateau)? You said you were not trusting the calking alone. Do you mean as a glue, or as a sealer? I would guess the polyurethane will add no strength, and very little sealant to the joints. If it don't leak, strength of the joint may not be an issue, since you used planks. Does the boat have ribs? A question for seedtick, what is the normal range of flare for the sides of a beateau?
The boat will become more stable with use. Sitting as low as possable, helps a lot. Flaring the sides more would have helped a lot.
I love the cypress boats, pictures please?

beekeeper

hometech

Jul 2, 2011
Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. The boat is almost pointed on both ends. I made the stern and bow out of down sized 4x4 red western cedar shaped into triangles.
Unfortunately I could'nt find reasonable priced cedar or cypress boards for the cash available. I know this might be shot down immediately but I used available pine from my already supply at hand. I never thought she would come out looking so good, so my next piroque will definitley have a lighter wood despite cost. Also, she has bulkheads and a partial cedar deck mid ship and afore for small child. No chines in it, but will be installing gunwales

Kayak Jack

Aug 26, 2003
Okemos / East Lansing Michigan
Hometech, a buddy of mine scrounged around and was able to find stashes of cedar (red and white) in barns, attics, etc. Some still owned by the old fella who collected it, others by his widow. Some questions at the local barber shop and hardware may uncover some treasures?

hometech

Jul 2, 2011
I agree with you kayak jack. My initial search for the lumber was at the home centers and none carried longer than 12' boards. Cedar was in very poor condition for the high price they wanted. On the next project I'll be better prepared and armed with experience from the first build. Appreciate all the suggestions. I'll be hitting the recycled lumber yards and possible bldg. tear downs for good wood.