plans modification | SouthernPaddler.com

plans modification

gzd96

Aug 11, 2006
georgia
I want to modify the plans i have. I am going to build three sneak boats but i need to modify the width cause we big ole boys. if i widen the boat 3 inches how does that affect my chines and what will it add to the length of them.

gzd96

Aug 11, 2006
georgia
Iam building the one from gator boats. It is the one man sneak boat. Iwas trying to figure how much longer I would need my boards for the chines.I was going to widen the boat from one end to the next and knew it would have an effect on the length. I figure if i layout the bottom to the new width, I could then lengthen the boat. I would appreciate any advice or a suggestion on a better way to do it.

oldsparkey

Aug 25, 2003
Central , Florida
www.southernpaddler.com
Matt will need to correct me since I am not a boat designer but it is my understanding that when you increase the length or width then the other needs to be increased in proportion to that.

I have increased the length of pirogues without increasing the width and they worked really well for me. I have never increased the width of one but with a 4th rib it is possable ( to a small degree) and some builders have done it , worked good for them..

Chuck.

JEM

Increasing the length is pretty straight forward. You just stretch the offset spacing.

Windening gets ugly. Much more difficult to work with.

I saw the basic plans on the gator boats website. Looks like your offsets are mostly on 6" reference lines. To lengthen it, you could just space them to 6.5 or whatever length you want. You'll probably need some extra plywood.

seedtick

Jul 22, 2006
Denham Springs, LA
Not sure how you folks from the northern part of the South build boats, but you sure make it sound complicated to change a few dimensions.

Most of the old boat builders I know would take some scrap plywood and cut out a couple of jigs. The jigs are shaped like a trapezoid with the side angles corresponding to the amount of flare or side angle you wanted in the boat at the point where you put the jigs. Then you attach the sides to the stem piece and wrap them around the jigs. Clamp the sides to the other stem piece (or transom if you're not building a pirogue). You've now got the overall shape of the boat, moving the jigs up or down will change the width and move the ends up as it gets wider and down as it gets narrower. Get it where it's pleasing to the eyes, put in the ribs, knock out the jigs and install the bottom.

gzd96

Aug 11, 2006
georgia
I have found that it's better to ask someone that knows than to guess. I appreciate the input. Let you know how it turns out.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
ch-ch-ch changes

My apologies to Bowie.

I am currently in the process of modifying a canoe. The original has no directional stability without a rudder.Two strokes on one side and you are headed off on a tangent.

This is strange as the boat in question is known as an expedition tripper and really shines on big water. I found this to be maddening since I am a canoeist. I feel a canoe should track straight with minimum correction strokes.

Anyway I took off the lines and drew them up on drafting paper, just like a set of plans, then with pencil and french curve I proceeded to deepen the stern rocker from 3 inches to 3/4".

By drawing the forms first I could make sure the lines remain fair.

hoz

Jan 24, 2004
Indiana
Thx Hmick, I figure it's much cheaper to make mistakes on paper before the project goes 3D.